2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Doing Laundry in the Backcountry< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ryangrayson Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 2:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently posted an article on my blog about this (http://ryangrayson.blogspot.com/2013/01/doing-laundry-in-backcountry.html), but I want to know if anyone has any other comments or suggestions. What are your environmentally-friendly methods? Or do you even do it at all?

Thanks for your input,

Ryan Grayson
ryangrayson.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I won't go to your link but I will post/discuss here.

I rinse with water and wring them out. If they are real bad, I use sand.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ryangrayson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm, sand is a good idea. I will try that on my next trip. How do you use the sand exactly? Do you put it in a baggie to agitate the clothes with sand? Or do you rub the clothes down with it? Is that a dumb question? hah
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clean water soak and rinse a VERY long ways from any water source. That works quite well even for socks, the only really critical clothing to keep clean as I see it.
 Post Number: 5
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually just rinse (or wade in my clothes).  No soap until I get back to civilization.  Think thru-hikers use soap during town stops.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 07 2013, 7:06 pm)
I usually just rinse (or wade in my clothes).  No soap until I get back to civilization.  Think thru-hikers use soap during town stops.

+1 on just rinsing things out with water and no soap.
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, just wade in wearing the dirty clothes.  Change when I get out.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ryangrayson @ Feb. 07 2013, 11:53 am)
Hmm, sand is a good idea. I will try that on my next trip. How do you use the sand exactly? Do you put it in a baggie to agitate the clothes with sand? Or do you rub the clothes down with it? Is that a dumb question? hah

I put some sand in the wet clothing and then wring the clothes, then rinse. After I wring out the clothing as best I can, I usually air dry on a line of parachute cord and then bring it to bed with my so that my body heat will dry it out by morning.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like to wash socks and underoos ever three or four days in clean water. Otherwise a good dunk is about all it needs if it's long wearing. :)

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
 Post Number: 10
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 07 2013, 7:43 pm)

(ryangrayson @ Feb. 07 2013, 11:53 am)

I put some sand in the wet clothing and then wring the clothes, then rinse. After I wring out the clothing as best I can, I usually air dry on a line of parachute cord and then bring it to bed with my so that my body heat will dry it out by morning.

The caveat is that Tigger is searing white-hot awesome even in his sleep, which is what makes this work.  Post his method on your blog at your own risk.    :;):
 Post Number: 11
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is this laundry of which you speak?

If it doesn't stand up on its own after the trip, you didn't work hard enough.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 12
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a multi-week trip I'll take a two gallon baggie and use Campsuds to wash my clothes.  I try and empty the sudsy water and rinse water far away from the water source.  If it is just a week long trip I'll take two shirts and change out mid-week.  I have also just dove in the water with my clothes on and rinsed that way also.  Depends on how hot the days are.
 Post Number: 13
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We usually have a bear vault with us so IF we feel the need to wash things, we have a handy vessel.
I think we've done that twice...........on long, stinky trips.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 14
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I am in field for 6 months or more (archaeology), I wash with Dr. Bonner's Castille soap.  It is extremely mild.  I put my underclothes and socks in a bag, about a 30 gallon, fill the bag with soap and water and blow the bag up.  Then shake the bag like crazy.  Ring the clothes out and you can let them dry the way they are or rinse them the same way but without soap.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 15
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Socks - Carry 2 pair Smartwools so rinse them out well (no soap ever) every other day. Hang them over hiking poles stood up - handles inside.

2 pair underarmor wicking briefs...rinsed once a week - or swum in

2 hiking shirts - when needed - not often

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
14 replies since Feb. 07 2013, 2:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Doing Laundry in the Backcountry
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions