2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for Sigg Fuel Bottle Gaskets, Any ideas?, Looking for Sigg Fuel Bottle Gaskets< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Uberman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 3:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sigg Bottles were the original fuel bottles for backpacking stoves. They are used for storing white gas, kerosene or what-have you for camp-stoves. MSR designed their original stove around it.

Sigg is a business and they are following the water-bottle craze/trend. They make water-bottles now, no fuel bottles.

I'm looking for a supplier of gaskets for Sigg Fuel bottles. Thanks for any and all help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These people have a lot of o-rings, just measure yours and look:
http://www.coleparmer.com/Search/o-rings

PLan "A" were it me? take the bottle in to an REI and see if a newer cap will fit. Threads standardized for the MSR pumps (or vice versa) should mean odds are decent it is compatible
http://www.rei.com/product/836830/msr-child-resistant-fuel-bottle-cap

I've got some old Siggs and newer MSRs around somewhere so maybe when I'm home I'll check.

Essentially you can search for (or request at an auto supply store) a "Viton O-Ring" after you know your size need. Viton so it's resistant to the fuel.
 Post Number: 3
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 08 2013, 3:27 pm)
These people have a lot of o-rings, just measure yours and look:
http://www.coleparmer.com/Search/o-rings

PLan "A" were it me? take the bottle in to an REI and see if a newer cap will fit. Threads standardized for the MSR pumps (or vice versa) should mean odds are decent it is compatible
http://www.rei.com/product/836830/msr-child-resistant-fuel-bottle-cap

I've got some old Siggs and newer MSRs around somewhere so maybe when I'm home I'll check.

Essentially you can search for (or request at an auto supply store) a "Viton O-Ring" after you know your size need. Viton so it's resistant to the fuel.

They are just o-rings aren't they?  Pretty sure that is what mine have.  If so Grainger, a plumbing supply, or automotive parts place should have something.
 Post Number: 4
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it is an o-ring, take the old one with you, they can size it and match.

Make sure you let them know it will be for a fuel bottle.  As HSF says you will need viton.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 08 2013, 2:21 pm)
If it is an o-ring, take the old one with you, they can size it and match.

Make sure you let them know it will be for a fuel bottle.  As HSF says you will need viton.

Yeah, if possible let the professional measure it.
 Post Number: 6
Random Walker Search for posts by this member.
Born under a wandering star

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup, I agree with others here.
My brothers a master mechanic, so I'll take the bottle/stove to his garage and poke around till I find one that fits...

--------------
"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
learning or any other serious thing"
                                                           -Aldo Leopold-
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Uberman @ Feb. 08 2013, 1:04 pm)
Sigg Bottles were the original fuel bottles for backpacking stoves. They are used for storing white gas, kerosene or what-have you for camp-stoves. MSR designed their original stove around it.

Do tell :D

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, Thanks for your responses. I should have laid out my inquiry better. You have my apologies.
The Sigg Fuel Bottles have a flat gasket that appears to be punched from a sheet of rubber. Of course this rubber compound would have to be impervious to solvents such as gasoline and whatnot. I realize that the new MSR stoves use an O ring and I was somewhat astounded. I called MSR first before I would use it.
I used to live in the bush in Alaska and we'd all be flying around with stoves and fuel bottles in our luggage. Once in awhile someone would lose their luggage prompting an angry warning letter from the FAA of the dangers of flying around with flammables in baggage, from stoves to fuel bottles.
So I'm still looking for a flat round hard rubber gasket. I torque these so tight that an O ring would simply squeeze out. You have made me think though, if I'm not lucky here, I'll contact the gasoline distributers which can reccomend a type of rubber to replicate the seals. This would be because I have 6 or 7 Sigg bottles that I use for all my stoves. The sizes I have aren't replicated by MSR and are more flexible regarding usage with other stove systems. I'm also a bit unhappy that MSR developed a seal on their bottles that appears proprietary and lacks the flexability and backward compatability that benefits everyone.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try and contact SIGG?

http://www.mysigg.com/....ctus.do

Oh and the material type was mentioned multiple times in the thread:Viton.

Ex.

http://www.aspseal.com/cut_gaskets/Viton_Gaskets/
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 09 2013, 1:00 pm)
Try and contact SIGG?

http://www.mysigg.com/....ctus.do

Oh and the material type was mentioned multiple times in the thread:Viton.

Ex.

http://www.aspseal.com/cut_gaskets/Viton_Gaskets/

Contacting Sigg was my first action. They don't know anything about anything to do with fuels. They said we only make water bottles. Its likely the name "Sigg" was sold and/ or someone else is running the company.
The second link is the kind of info I expect from my gasoline dealer contacts. I've had custom machining done before. Usually the setup fee is about $75.00 I needed 2 custom brake springs. I paid $140.00 for the 2 and 2 extras. Custom manufacturing is spendy. Thanks for the information.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The previous non-childproof MSR caps would work. Unfortunately the new ones need more clearance than the SIGG's heavier openning allows for. The threads, as i suspected, are the same. I tested a new version cap on my oldest SIGG bottle that happens to have an MSR XG pump (loosely) mounted on it to keep the pump clean. Mid seventies vintage. The cap hung up on the older style bottle before seating due to the new safety overhang.

One thing to note: even that early MSR XG pump uses an o-ring for a pressure resistant seal so a newer cap with an o-ring would do just fine.

OTOH I expect a bit of poking and you can find some Viton gasket sheeting of the right thickness and of a size that won't cost a tremendous amount and then just trace an old gasket and cut a whole bunch out. Since its the face surface of the material that forms the seal the inner and outer edges of the circles don't have to be "custom" fabrication perfect for the pressure resistance to be functional. Though if you don't get the inner dimension close you'll need to use some compatible adhesive to help the cap retain he gasket when it's not on the bottle.

Good luck!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OR: for a "classic fuel bottle" spare part try a website entitled "Classic Camp Stoves"?

Someone on their forums might have some ideas as that's what they're in to.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php?
 Post Number: 13
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used MSR "O" rings on my Sigg fuel bottles without a problem.  I crank the cap down fairly tightly.

You can order (REI carries them I think) MSR "expedition" caps (non-childproof).

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
12 replies since Feb. 08 2013, 3:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for Sigg Fuel Bottle Gaskets, Any ideas?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions