2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pot stand for a trangia, What to buy, what to buy.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TheAube Search for posts by this member.
Hike Master Flex

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 10:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys, I just bought my first alcohol stove. Lit it up, put a pot on it and quickly discovered I need a pot stand.  Any suggestions?

I know the trangia has it's own pot stand, windscreen system. But it seems bulky and cumbersome.

--------------
Happy Trails
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could make one out of hardware cloth. I've also seen some made out of wire that is bent into sort of a V shape on top and a trippod on the bottom. Check out some of the alky stove websites and get some other ideas.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Colter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alcohol stoves need a wind screen.  I used a wind screen from my MSR white gas stove. I took two aluminum gutter nail tent stakes and drove them through the wind screen at the right height, one stake pinning the two ends of the screen together. It worked great and easily lasted for the whole AT. Scroll down half way on this page to see it.

--------------
Alone Across Alaska: 1000 Miles of Wilderness
Please check out my story and photos!

Post Number: 4
TheAube Search for posts by this member.
Hike Master Flex

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How high is the "right" height for windscreen vents?

--------------
Happy Trails
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.clikstand.com/
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is the website that I saw a stand you can make. Look at GO TORCH STOVE on the left under stoves   http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
 Post Number: 7
jjack3230 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have made a couple out of metal coat hanger like material.  Bend the wire into a " [ " shape.  Make 2.  Make the legs tall enough to clear your stove.  I then wired 2 legs (from opposite supports) together with green craft wire, so that they could open up and support my pot.  Works pretty well, not very heavy.  If you can't picture it drop me a line an I will take a pic and send it to you.

JJ

--------------
"If people persist in trespassing upon the grizzlies' territory, we must accept the fact that the grizzlies, from time to time, will harvest a few trespassers." - Edward Abbey
 Post Number: 8
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Feb. 10 2013, 3:04 pm)

The Clikstand is indeed a good one.   I like that it's a) stable b) packs pretty compactly so I can fit a lot in my pot and c) provides pretty good wind screening.  

It's also really sturdy.

I've got a review of the Clikstand up on my blog if anyone is interested.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 7:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.libertymountain.com/shop/product.asp?p=1070&c=2081

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
8 replies since Feb. 09 2013, 10:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pot stand for a trangia
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions