2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for new rain gear< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 11:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since spring is coming, it rains a lot here in the Appalachians. I've had a Cabela's rain jacket for 6+ years and it soaks through after an hour in decent rain. I felt this year was a good time to upgrade.

I've been looking at the Golite stuff, but not sure what I actually need.

I want something light weight, but not super expensive. (I.E $300)
Should I keep looking at the Golite stuff or custom made other other retailer?

I'll want:
Rain Jacket
Rain Pants
Maybe poncho?

What would you guys recommend?

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Golite. I bought some this year, super light but good quality materials. Can't comment on durability but the lighter you go the less durable it will be. That being said, I can't see my rain gear getting damaged easily.
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too live in the Appalachians, and I end up pushing through a LOT of rough sections where I'm getting hung up on trees, branches, thorns, etc.
In my opinion, if you plan on doing lots of hiking it dense forest like this it's better to go with something tougher.
I use a cheap, but durable Columbia jacket. It's not the lightest, but I've drug it through some rough situations. Over/under trees, through rhododendron, tunnels, over rock ledges, etc. It's taken it like a champ.
If you don't end up in situations like these, you're probably ok with something lighter. Just consider your environment first.
 Post Number: 4
MarzExplorer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you like your old jacket, consider restoring the coating.

I had an old L.L. Bean rain jacket that was soaking water. I used the NikWax waterproofing restorer. It comes in a spray bottle.

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us....icid=-1

I washed the jacket. Then, I spread it out on a table. I applied the spray as instructed. My jacket was dark green; so, I could see where the spray was taking hold. I used a cotton cloth to spread the sprayed product over the jacket.

I had to do this three times because my jacket was over 10 years old. It took some patience. But, it worked very well. And, I didn't use that much spray. I have a lot left for the future. My jacket beads up nicely when it rains now.

I heard that the product that you use in your washer can coat the insides of your washing machine. I read that online and a backpacker confirmed it. So, if you try the NikWax, get the spray.

For rain pants:

I have a pair of L.L. Bean and a pair of Eastern Mountain Sports. The Bean pants are lighter; but, the EMS pants zip down the sides. I really like being able to put the EMS pants on or take them off without taking off my boots. It's really convenient to unzip them down the sides and take them off.  It takes some practice putting them on. Practice at home just so you can get the hang of it.

I''ll add one more thing:

Consider a pair of Seal Skinz waterproof gloves. They are lightweight. They are like thin scuba gloves. But, they are fantastic and great to have when the rain is cold. I think they run about $35. I have heard of people making big "cuffs" to cover their hands made out of small plastic bags. But, in any case, don't forget about your hands.
 Post Number: 5
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on Nikwax products to revitalize waterproof capabilities

Jacket: I personally own a OR Helium shell (They've been replaced with the Helium II).  Very light, 2.5 layer Pertex material, and very packable (stuffs in its own pocket).  No side pockets (I wouldn't use them much during a storm anyway), but it does have a chest pocket.  Breath-ability is okay (read: not much), and about what you'd expect on a nice waterproof shell.

My only complaint: No pit zips; it hasn't caused any issue really...but I like that feature on my winter shell.

Pants: Marmot Pre-Cips - cheap, full zip (comes in 1/2 zip, too), lightweight, and packable.  History of weak durability, but I just wore a pair bushwacking in the White Mountains in NH and no rips!!  But for their price, I'll patch 'em when they rip for a while, and get another pair when I have to.

Poncho: I have no experience with these.

All that said, I'm intrigued by GoLite's products, but personally haven't taken the plunge...yet.  Let us know which way you go!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MarzExplorer @ Feb. 15 2013, 2:07 pm)
I heard that the product that you use in your washer can coat the insides of your washing machine. I read that online and a backpacker confirmed it. So, if you try the NikWax, get the spray.

Interesting, as I had not heard that before.  I'm quite enamored with the wash-in stuff, having great success with a single wash anytime something needs a little freshening up of the waterproofing.

So, what effect would "coating" the washer have anyway?  Making its surface waterproof, too?  That wouldn't seem to have any sort of negative effect on the rest of the laundry I run through it.  Unless its actually damaging internal parts of the washer, I wouldn't be too concerned.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
5 replies since Feb. 10 2013, 11:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for new rain gear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions