2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking Supplies, Supplies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cjhubbs Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 3:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello Everyone,
My friends and i have been trying to decide what we want to do once we graduate from highschool, for the past few months. Well somehow along the way we set our eyes on backpacking for a year and have come to the conclusion that Europe will be our target. We are just in the beginning stages of planning the trip and on top of that have barely any backpacking experience. I was wondering if you know of any sites where I can find information on what gear and supplies we would need. I am trying to find a way to grasp how much money this may cost. Thanks for the help, I must sound like such a newbie lol! :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, I also was wondering if you had any suggested reading material about backpacking or long-distance hiking?
 Post Number: 3
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

European backpacking is much different than US backpacking.  Do you want a wilderness experience or do you want to walk from town to town and stay in a hostel every night?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Lonely Planet "backpacking" forum is what you want. This forum is almost entirely wilderness hiking trip oriented not urban traveling with a backpack as luggage.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2117814

There's a reference to LPs "Europe on a shoestring" for Europe backpacking tips.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would shurely look into the European hostel system if you plan to be in cities at all.  Not sure of the websites, but if you surf the net, I'm sure you'll find tons of information.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was planning on doing both. The trip we are planning is walking from the Eastern boarder of Europe in Greece to the Western Boarder of Europe in Spain. So it would compromise both the wilderness, small towns and cities. We were planning to camp and stay in hostels depending on the location.
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gear-wise I saw a lot of Deuter and Osprey over in Germany a couple years ago but they don't have the lightweight stuff, only 75L to 85L to 110L packs.   TNF, think I saw ArcTeryx.   Same clothing, though Jack Wolfskin is big over there for hiking clothes.  Not as much selection but pretty much the same stuff you see here at REI.  Groceries run about the same but be prepped for sticker shock in restaurants.  Bring your own coffee least you get trapped by the infamous $14 coffee cup in eastern Europe.  Also if you are on a budget, McD's and BK pervade Germany and elsewhere nowadays (tourist towns, highways).

Trip-wise (prepare for essay):

It's not all hostels and hotels.  France and Spain have some good backpacking trails with campsites but eastern Europe is still opening up.  Francis Tarpon had a book on backpacking Eastern Europe that you really must check out.  Transylvania is the big wild area in Europe, though I've read that you can stealth sleep ("rest") in German forests and fields, just you cannot "camp" (i.e. cook, wash, play cards).  Google stealth camping backpacker-style.

Definately check out this site ... Christine - German backpacker I've been following.   For traveling end-to-end on a continent, she's more hardcore than many Gore-Tex ad wanna-be, "manly-men" who populate outdoor websites (who shall remain nameless).

In some countries, like Belgium and Greece, ... backcountry sleeping is plain illegal. Know the rules but also check out some blogs to see if they can be bent.

I've only visited cities in central and eastern Europe for a previous job (recently), so can't really help you hiking (bring Euro coins for public toilets in Germany though, they'll catch an American quarter).  Europe is very different from America, especially eastern Europe.  Do what the police tell you as the population in general can be rather forward (not that American cops are pushovers but generally you can interact).

Bring a phrase book:  The locals open up when you at least try to start a conversation in English.  You have too many languages to get decent on but there are some free pronunciation lessons online.  Don't worry about offending anybody - even Muslims cut Americans some slack because they know we are tourists.  Know which countries do not allow pictures of potential military sites (bridges, etc..).  Kryzygstan was kind of a bear about that.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 8
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 11 2013, 3:57 pm)
Definately check out this site ... Christine - German backpacker I've been following.   For traveling end-to-end on a continent, she's more hardcore than many Gore-Tex ad wanna-be, "manly-men" who populate outdoor websites (who shall remain nameless).

Thanks for the link.

Read a little on the blog, excellent read

She's done more outdoors adventures than even acliff

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 11 2013, 2:10 pm)

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 11 2013, 3:57 pm)

Thanks for the link.

Read a little on the blog, excellent read...

Neat thing is notice her gear list, she has been mostly using an American Gossamer Gear G4 ultralight pack.  That's another thing the OP should take a look at, though big backpacks are not uncommon in Europe like they are here in most of the USA.  Does the OP want to visit the sites in town while worrying about a large backpack ... or go lightweight so that the pack is as easy to deal with as a book bag?

Our own Ben2World will probably have his own thoughts, as UL packs can have a thin fabric.  

Another thing, if buying a pack in Euros watch the exchange rate.  An Osprey 85 liter pack in Germany ran 450 Euros which translates into $600 US.  It is still an uneven currency exchange, so buy all your major items here.

--------------

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all of the help! This definitley will be a complex endeavor to undertake but I am up for the challenge. I guess the first place I should start is to get some maps of Europe and begin planning our route.  At the same time I should start tasking some of my friends with trying to get a price tag on this thing. We are trying to make it more of a getting back to Earth and our routes type of trip. Thanks again for the help
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cjhubbs @ Feb. 11 2013, 2:40 pm)
.. We are trying to make it more of a getting back to Earth and our routes type of trip. Thanks again for the help

What you want is doable but think you will need to cut across central Europe from Romania to France and Spain.  Remember, even American thru-hikers need a rest day indoors once a week to dry out gear so it doesn't give out on you.  

Also forgot, the Czech's (or maybe the Slovak's) apparently have a cowboy camping culture from when westerns were imported.  That's camping out with a sleeping bag and campfire.  Hopefully more Blazing Saddles than Deliverance  :D

--------------

Post Number: 12
Spinna Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 10 2013, 7:34 pm)
The Lonely Planet "backpacking" forum is what you want. This forum is almost entirely wilderness hiking trip oriented not urban traveling with a backpack as luggage.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2117814

There's a reference to LPs "Europe on a shoestring" for Europe backpacking tips.

Great resource! Thanks!

--------------
Lets fly awaaaaaaaay
11 replies since Feb. 10 2013, 3:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking Supplies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions