2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camp fire smell out of Down jacket?, Any tips?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 8:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone know how to get the camp fire smell out of a down jacket?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If just hanging it outside doesn't do it you might try Frebreeze.
If that doesn't work, is campfire smell so bad?

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dah, hang it outside. Or, let it be and enjoy the memories.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Feb. 10 2013, 8:52 pm)
If just hanging it outside doesn't do it you might try Frebreeze.
If that doesn't work, is campfire smell so bad?

+1 on the Febreeze spray. I just spray ours with it and then let it air out. Doesn't have any smell after that.
 Post Number: 5
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll try the febreeze thing and see how that goes if the airing it out doesn't work.
Thanks for the tips!
I don't mind it so much, but I'm not so sure the people around me would as much.
 Post Number: 6
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll take all the goodness out of the jacket if you get the smell out..

it won't be as warm either!

and what's so bad about smelling like bacon anyway?

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(camper10469 @ Feb. 10 2013, 10:36 pm)

Depends on your neighbors..............

--------------
 Post Number: 8
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Febreeze would be the last thing I'd do.  Why would you want to mask a natural odor with an unnatural one?  Just wash the thing.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Feb. 10 2013, 10:59 pm)

(camper10469 @ Feb. 10 2013, 10:36 pm)

Depends on your neighbors..............

There was supposed to be a picture of one of our bear neighbors there but, as usual, it didn't work.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Feb. 10 2013, 11:02 pm)
Febreeze would be the last thing I'd do.  Why would you want to mask a natural odor with an unnatural one?  Just wash the thing.

Because you really don't want to be washing  anything down very often. I try to avoid washing my down jackets and sleeping bags  as much as  possible.
 Post Number: 11
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Feb. 10 2013, 11:02 pm)

Febreze's claim to fame is that eliminates odors rather than masking them.  According to wikipedia:
"The active ingredient in Febreze is Hydroxypropyl beta-cyclodextrin or HPβCD. Procter & Gamble claims that these molecules bind hydrocarbons within the doughnut shape, retaining malodorous molecules, which reduces their release into the air and thus the perception of their scent.[2] The original formula was developed in Plymouth, England. The use of a cyclodextrin as a sprayable odor absorber is patented by Procter & Gamble.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Febreze

As far as I can tell it actually seems to work without introducing a masking odor.  I find most air fresheners more obnoxious that what they are used to cover up, but Febreze seems to work well at least for my admittedly not very sensitive nose.
 Post Number: 12
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/172

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 13
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hang it outside in the sun. It will get rid of most of the smell eventually. OTherwise, just wash it according to down washing methods.
 Post Number: 14
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I have said numerous times my hiking partner loves to build big fires, (which is permissible and somewhat accepted routine in the ADKs).  Lots of pine & cedar.  He fixates over saws and hatchets.

Maybe it is the non stop smoke or the wood type but I have never had any success getting the smell out either by airing out, (sometimes for weeks on my covered porch) or washing.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 15
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to build campfires all the time. When I wanted the odors out, I would wash them in White Vinegar (obviously not full strength - about 1/2 cup per load) and let them dry in the sun. They smell weird while drying (vinegar smell) but when they completely "cured" they came out smelling clean (about four days for full cure).

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 16
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

you could put the jacket in a dryer on 'fluff' (no heat) with a dryer sheet.  that would probably get the odor out.  i echo what others have said, though.  we're not talking about BO or rotted food smell.  Pine sap, a little earthiness, smoke, kind of go with the territory.  the smell will dissipate eventually.

washing it with downwash would undoubtedly remove the odor too.  like you, i try not to wash down that much, but done properly, it's fine.
15 replies since Feb. 10 2013, 8:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camp fire smell out of Down jacket?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions