2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Suggestions for New stove< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I returned a bunch of the stuff I picked up at LL Bean last week...so in my warped sense i have a few $ to spend.  (I kept the two man tent for $50)

The only real upgrade I can think of would be a lighter stove.  Looking for canister only for three season use.

I have a Brunton and Optimus canister, and the detached Stella I bought from Raystrella a few years back.  The Stella is great if there is more than two of us as the menu and amount of cooking changes, but the other stoves are older and a bit heavy....and relatively large...bigger and heavier than a Pocket Rocket for example.  (Which I may consider)

I really liked the Crux I had and returned as it was an early sputtering model.  Especially the way it folded up and basically disappeared under the canister.  The new ones are "fixed" they say so it is probably the way to go.

Just wondering if anyone has any favorites and why.

FYI, I thought I may have posted a similar thread a year or so ago but i couldn't find it...if someone else does my apologies....getting old man, getting old.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went from a MSR Pocketrocket to the MSR Whisperlite Universal. The boil time improved dramatically because of the windscreen. Plus, getting the fuel canister upside down and off the ground means a better fuel delivery.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any notions on a Whitebox or similar? Do you want to cook or just boil?
 Post Number: 4
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love to cook while I am out, and not just boil.  I have used the MSR Superfly for years and years and love it.  You can find a much lighter stove, but not with the same amount of control.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think 90% will be boil, the cooking if it is just two of us is mostly FBC.  I haven't used my cookset in two years....get by w/just a pot. And our meals are pretty darned good based on a lot of prep at home...and stealing a lot of Sarbar's ideas.

A lot of times (if not pasta), dinner the first night is a steak or pork tenderloin prepped at home until very rare, wrapped in foil frozen and thrown in the fire, (my buddy lives for fires), to cook through.  Instant mashed made in a freezerbag and that is dinner.  Second night typically dried tortellini..

Lunch maybe rarely some soup, usually no cooking...breakfast coffee, I like oatmeal...and coffee...followed by..coffee.

Ha...I'm worried about shaving 3-4 oz off my stove yet I carry a 4 cup french press or aluminum drip pot.....and 4-6 oz of freshly ground coffee....plus stolen mini moos...sugar..etc...

I think if I switch to plain tea, I could shave 3 lbs off my carry

--------------
 Post Number: 6
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then I would definitely go along the lines of the Pocket Rocket.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't like the Jetboil as it feels a little unstable to me.
The arms don't quite sit even, so you only really get the tips to sit your pot on.
The Gigapower by Snowpeak I like much more

Gigapower by Snowpeak

It cooks just as fast, and you can get the optional electric starter.
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I reccommend a Snowpeak Giga Power. I had the MSR Pocket  Rocket and it was  a fine stove except it has only 3 pot supports  as opposed to the Giga Power which has 4 supports and they are more sturdier then theMSR  PRs. Plus the piezio is nice to have too.
 Post Number: 9
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pocket rocket....or go alcohol..whitebox stove is perfect for your needs.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 10
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay I don't get it.  What am I missing?  I was going to start a new thread but it seems to me to fit here.  

My buddy has the Gigapower.  Can't see why anyone would think the Jetboil was less stable.  The jetboil locks together where the others the pot just sits on top.  But the bigger thing for me was how slow and inefficient the Gigapower (or really any of those pocket rocket style stoves) compared to the Jetboil.  He even bought the windscreen for the Gigapower and was still greatly disappointed.

The jetboil has the fins on the bottom that greatly increases the area the stove has to heat up.  My jetboil will boil water faster than my microwave.  That means very little fuel used to accomplish the boil.   And those fins act as a wind screen.  From our testing I estimate the Gigapower used 4 times more fuel to boil the same amount of water.  

With alcohol stoves we have played with several.  They all need to prime wasting fuel.   With the kind that the pot sits on top of the stove you have to preheat the pot or it cools down the stove when you place it on the stove and the jetting stops and it goes out.  With the other kind you need to have a pot stand.  All are the most unstable options I have seen.  And if you knock on of those over it spreads fire all over the place.  Again an efficiency thing comes into play.  Sure you may be able to get very light with alcohol for a weekend trip but carry enough alcohol for two weeks and you equal the weight of may other options.  

I did get one of the Esbit tablet stoves to try but have not tested it yet.  My only motivation for trying it was the smaller size and lighter weight.  Again I think that might work for a weekend trip but like alcohol the jetboil will win the longer trip weight war with the more efficient use of fuel.  

So I don't get the no love for JetBoil.  Of all the options I have tried it seems to be the best so far.  What is it I am missing?  Is it that I normally just boil water and others are doing real cooking?  Still no one seems to state that difference when they make recommendations.  I just don't get it.
 Post Number: 11
Linedawg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 for the Jetboil. I have been using one for years. I have several others that I sometimes carry for short trips, but if I'm going for and extended period, it's my Jetboil. However all of my meals are FBC, so I'm just boiling water.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i strictly boil water and the pocket rocket has always worked great. I like my whitebox stove even better for its size and weight, and its quietness is always a plus.

However, if i needed to melt snow, I would probably use my whipserlite international or wind pro.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 13
pplaugher Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pocket Rocket has my vote, always worked well for me!
 Post Number: 14
rfahndrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Feb. 14 2013, 6:48 pm)
Okay I don't get it.  What am I missing?  I was going to start a new thread but it seems to me to fit here.  

My buddy has the Gigapower.  Can't see why anyone would think the Jetboil was less stable.  The jetboil locks together where the others the pot just sits on top.  But the bigger thing for me was how slow and inefficient the Gigapower (or really any of those pocket rocket style stoves) compared to the Jetboil.  He even bought the windscreen for the Gigapower and was still greatly disappointed.

The jetboil has the fins on the bottom that greatly increases the area the stove has to heat up.  My jetboil will boil water faster than my microwave.  That means very little fuel used to accomplish the boil.   And those fins act as a wind screen.  From our testing I estimate the Gigapower used 4 times more fuel to boil the same amount of water.  

With alcohol stoves we have played with several.  They all need to prime wasting fuel.   With the kind that the pot sits on top of the stove you have to preheat the pot or it cools down the stove when you place it on the stove and the jetting stops and it goes out.  With the other kind you need to have a pot stand.  All are the most unstable options I have seen.  And if you knock on of those over it spreads fire all over the place.  Again an efficiency thing comes into play.  Sure you may be able to get very light with alcohol for a weekend trip but carry enough alcohol for two weeks and you equal the weight of may other options.  

I did get one of the Esbit tablet stoves to try but have not tested it yet.  My only motivation for trying it was the smaller size and lighter weight.  Again I think that might work for a weekend trip but like alcohol the jetboil will win the longer trip weight war with the more efficient use of fuel.  

So I don't get the no love for JetBoil.  Of all the options I have tried it seems to be the best so far.  What is it I am missing?  Is it that I normally just boil water and others are doing real cooking?  Still no one seems to state that difference when they make recommendations.  I just don't get it.

I am the buddy that was mentioned here.  I too do not understand at all.  I bought the Snow Peak over the Pocket rocket because it has the built in igniter and is a great size and weight to put in a GSI Dualist cooking kit or my GSI minimalist cooking kit.  

I have tried the Snow Peak Gigapower on 2 occasions at the same location at nearly the same temps.  First time was without the 2oz $10 windscreen and the second with the windscreen.
Both cases I was greatly disappointed as I waited and waited and waited nearly 10 minutes for the water to boil.  Meanwhile my buddy was half way through his coffee.

From now on I will carry my Jetboil because of how easy and good it works.  I have carried it on several trips and it just works and works very well.

I too have ordered an Esbit cooking kit, I know that boiling water may take 8 minutes but I am okay with that if that is the expectation that is set and for a weekend trip it should do just fine.

Again, why is there no love for the Jetboil?  Why is it just not mentioned or put in the same class as the Pocket Rocket or SOTO or Snow Peak?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is another way to ask it.  How many who own the Pocket Rocket or clone have also owned a jetboil and chose the PR or clone???
 Post Number: 16
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Feb. 14 2013, 8:52 pm)
Here is another way to ask it.  How many who own the Pocket Rocket or clone have also owned a jetboil and chose the PR or clone???

I have the Pocket Rocket and the Jetboil.  The PR is in my emergency car kit, the Jetboil goes on dayhikes and kayaking trips.
I use my Whitebox most often when backpacking except in winter, when I carry (or pull) my MSR dragonfly.  If I'm going to be using wood, I carry my Ti-tri.
I have a Giga power, esbits, Coleman's and many homemade alky stoves. I like to play with them all.
Stove fetish?  Maybe. :;):

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You said "canister", so I suppose that's what you want, though there are a hell of a lot of really good options in alcohol these days.

I have a couple (always buy in bulk!) of the Primus Spider Express stoves, and I see nothing really different about the stove from any other remote canister type. It performs as well as anyone could expect, I think, and will even generate JetBoil-like boiling times if you use it with a (somewhat heavier) "heat exchanger" pot, like the Primus EtaPower 1L, which I also have.

Just an aside, but I don't have any problem with the JetBoil either - I have two of 'em - but they are a bit "tippy" cp. to a low remote canister like the Spider Express, the MSR WindPro, or any other remote, for that matter. Like most things, they have their place, and there's nothing wrong with them at all, though they are "tippy" and somewhat "overweight". I don't ordinarily worry about speed, but - like I just said - a good "heat exchanger pot" will come close to JetBoil times w/o a lot of extra weight. I suppose there's something good about having a "complete system" aimed at low boiling times, but I don't often actually require it.

As to the Primus Spider: Though the earlier models had a few complaints about the fuel feed causing some problems, I've never experienced anything outside of an occasional problem with the end of the fuel line connector loosening (it has a knurled thumbscrew so it can be removed, and requires checking every once in a while - no big deal: it's a good thing to thoroughly check most stoves before use). The real advantage of the Primus Spider is that it can be had for much less than most other canister stoves. It currently is selling for $57 at BackCountryStore.com (backordered, however), and $50 at Moontrail.com (they have 6 in stock last I checked).

Alcohol stove addendum: There are more options in this area than ever before. Many "cottage industry dealers" out there, as well as the opportunity to experiment with DIY. I've done both. I have multiple White Box stoves, and this can hardly be beat if you're just going to FB and boil water. Fast relative boil times (extremely fast for an alcohol stove, IHMO) and absolutely reliable. More appropriate if you use a wider pot, but I use mine with an REI/Evernew kettle, which is only barely 4.5" wide, with really good results. But there are a ton of stoves out there like the White Box these days, and I've got good results with Tinny's MinibullDesign.com BIOS as well. His micro-BIOS is good if you're only boiling a couple of cups, but you have to be a lot more careful of screening the stove from wind - there's not a lot of fuel in there, and it'll boil 2 cups easily, but just barely.

My current kit contains a MBD micro AND one of Tinny's new remote fuel carbon wick stoves (the M5 or M6), which I've used to bake muffins and cook bacon and eggs. With an appropriate remote feeder (2, or 4 and 8 oz remote "chicken waterer" fuel source), you can bake or fry for a long time indeed. There's nothing like a blueberry or chocolate ("just add water!") muffin for breakfast to make you feel comfortable and happy! If you doubt it can be done, take a look at some of Tinny's videos on his website (www.minibulldesign.com) - there's a "Youtube Channel" button in the header.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 7:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only reason I see time as being very important is that it is efficient use of fuel.  From what I have seen the Jetboil puts more of the heat to the pot.  I have not seen any other heat exchanger pots so maybe that is what I am missing from the other equations.  I don't even use the stabilizer legs on my jetboil and don't have stability issue but I do look for a flat spot to set it.  

The Esbit stove was a disappointment as well.  It never really brought the water to a hard boil.  I don't know how well it would hydrate a MH or FBC.  More test are in order and I see some people use the pot with a alcohol stove so I may give that setup a try.

I just have not yet found alcohol to work very well for me.  For all the reasons I mentioned before from inefficient use of fuel to the fuss factor with windscreens and ground pads.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As much as I think the Jetboil was a groundbreaker at it's introduction I have never felt it would suit me and for what I am looking for now it would be too heavy , too bulky and really kind of limited use wise.

I have never had an issue with any of my canister stoves boiling in a timely manner as most I have larger flame patterns.

Pocket Rocket: An occasional partner has one, he gave up on his 20+ yr old MSR  International and likes the simplicity.  Nice, but the flame pattern always concerned me.

As for the Primus Spider, it is pretty much the same design as my Stella...God forbid I would have more than one of a similar item.

The Giga seems worth a look.  I am heading over to EMS for lunch today...hopefully they have one in stock.  I like the idea of the four supports and the small size

Alcohol, as compelling as the simplicity of the set up is to me...I'd have to carry a supply of fuel that I am not sure how I would pack it...I like the fact that my canister fits in my small pot.  What do others use for fuel containers for alcohol...maybe that could tip it in that direction.

Of course them I would probably morph to the Heineken pot, homemade alky stoves... etc...slippery path

--------------
 Post Number: 20
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am at a point where I have to make a decision on a stove.

I have done home made alcohol with moderate success. 8 minutes for 8oz of water.

I have a home made sterno stove from a coffee can that really works well. I can use the same stove with sticks and Green Sheet to grill, too. 9-10 min to boil with sterno. Chafing fuel works better than Sterno and it costs less, too.  

My 36 hour kit has esbit because they were cheap at the army surplus store. The concept is great but it takes 1 tab for each 8oz of water and the boil time seemed longer and the stove top is really unstable. A friend of mine has made DIY esbit type tabs with about the same results. I can army surplus tabs cheaper than she can make them.

I like the idea of refillable fuel containers to buy in bulk.
I like the idea of canister fuel for ease of use and no spilling.

At the same time, I can pack my ugly green canister (1 canister) from Walmart and be good for a really long time. I have a semi-perm space set up for 12 weekends in the spring and if I only use it for hot water for oat meal and coffee in the morning and heating up something for dinner, I can do about 1 1/2 canisters for the entire 24 days. If the weekends are cold and I have soup for lunch or turn an espresso pot on, then it is a 2 canister event.

And the more you guys talk about stoves, the further I get from a decision. I will probably end up buying 2 or 3 stoves and trying them all out. Splitting them into 3 different kits (24hr kit, 7 day kit, back packing kit)

Yes, I have a stove top espresso pot. Makes 2 lovely shots of happiness.
 Post Number: 21
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Feb. 15 2013, 7:48 am)
I just have not yet found alcohol to work very well for me.  For all the reasons I mentioned before from inefficient use of fuel to the fuss factor with windscreens and ground pads.

For many alcohol stoves, fuel use in priming is inefficient only if the user decides to wait for the flame to fully develop before starting to capture the heat under the pot.  If you're using something with a stand, you can put the pot on right away and it will start heating as the flame develops.

The real measure of fuel efficiency is volume of water heated from a given temperature to boiling for a given weight of fuel.  A lot of people have measured this for various stoves to enable quantitative comparisons of weight efficiency for different trip durations.   Unquantified heuristic arguments are neither accurate nor helpful.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Feb. 15 2013, 9:14 am)
As much as I think the Jetboil was a groundbreaker at it's introduction I have never felt it would suit me and for what I am looking for now it would be too heavy , too bulky and really kind of limited use wise.

+1...I've seen people break out the jetboil and quite frankly???.....I got scared. It looks rather large and bulky for my needs..boiling up to 2 cups of water.

I'm sure it works fantastic but for my use it is overkill.

I carry my alcohol in a small plastic bottle inside a ziplock bag and if im out for weekend the smallest size bottle fits right into my pot with whitebox stove...walaaa. Obviously if I will be out longer I will need to carry more alcohol, thus bringing a larger bottle which will not fit in my pot, so it gets wrapped in plastic baggie and into food bag. No, I'm not worried about it leaking.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 23
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jet Boil is heavy and expensive. Pocket Rocket is like a cutting torch that gives off shocking amounts of CO. Gigapower is a great stove, and if it takes 10 minutes to boil water, it's defective, or you're doing something wrong.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 24
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As for the Primus Spider, it is pretty much the same design as my Stella...God forbid I would have more than one of a similar item.
Not exactly: The Stella, if I recall, at least the older model (I think the new one is called the Vega), doesn't have a loop of the fuel line passing through the flame. The Primus Spider does, so you can flip the canister in colder conditions. Can't do that with the older version of the Stella. The new Vega version of the Stella has the loop, and has a "stand" to allow the canister to be inverted.

Don't sell alcohol short, esp. if you haven't tried a White Box. Like I said above, there are a lot more options out there now than ever before, and alcohol is certainly viable, even in the cold. I've used a non-alcohol stove only once in the last year, though I am something of a "stove hobbyist". I have dozens of stoves, but even though I have a number of white gas and canister stoves, I haven't used any of them for some time.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well, nothing at EMS except for the Soto...nice but not worth $75..to me.

Gabby, I've never used an alky stove but I just figure I would need a pint of alcohol at the minimum for a weekend...figure 2.5 oz x 2 for breakfast, (coffee)....maybe the same for dinner...maybe less...but 2 breakfasts, one dinner and I'm close to a lb of fluid.  And that is a bulky item.

Am I missing something here?  I looked at the White box website and they call for 2.5 to boil the water I'd need.

I dunno.....

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm no mathmatician but I don't think it equates to a pound of alcohol.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 27
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:49 pm)
well, nothing at EMS except for the Soto...nice but not worth $75..to me.

Gabby, I've never used an alky stove but I just figure I would need a pint of alcohol at the minimum for a weekend...figure 2.5 oz x 2 for breakfast, (coffee)....maybe the same for dinner...maybe less...but 2 breakfasts, one dinner and I'm close to a lb of fluid.  And that is a bulky item.

Am I missing something here?  I looked at the White box website and they call for 2.5 to boil the water I'd need.

I dunno.....

You do about the same amount of cooking that I do, and I've never gone through more than half a pint in a weekend.  I use about 3 oz for breakfast and 1.5 oz for dinner.

By the way, alcohol has a specific gravity of 0.79, so a pint weighs about 12.6 oz.
 Post Number: 28
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Jetboil Sol Ti, and it's not that it's bad, but it doesn't suit me. It is heavy, and I don't feel like lugging the fuel canisters around. And as others have mentioned, it is a bit tippy since it is so tall and narrow. Of course you could carry the additional canister support stand, but that is more weight and can still be a bit tippy. However, as a alcohol user, I have learned to take great care in picking out the perfect spot to set-up my cook kit, so that can be overcome.

If I were to get another canister stove, I would opt for the Soto OD-1R. It is lighter than some of the other canister stoves out there, and it features a regulator just like the Jetboil Sol line, which means it will work better in colder temps, and will also empty a fuel canister better than most of the other stoves. But my favorite part of the Soto stove is that it can be used with any other cook pot, unlike the Jetboil. Of course, here again, the Jetboil Sol line comes with a stand that adapts the Jetboil stove so that it can be used with other cook pots, however, this is more weight, and more fidget factor. As well, it actually lifts the cook pot higher off the ground, which makes it tippy-er...

I love my alcohol stoves, and find them much better for my needs than canister stoves. The weight is considerably less, and if one spends some time with the set-up, they can come up with a very efficient set-up that will be very comparable to the efficiency of the Jetboil, or other canister stoves. Especially when one considers that they are not carrying 3-4 oz in weight just in the steel container the fuel is contained in, not to mention the weight of the stove and pot... As well, for me, I have a much more enjoyable time using an alcohol set-up as opposed to a canister set-up... As far as stability, I find that my alcohol set-ups are just as stable as the Jetboil, and some even more so. And as Gabby has mentioned, there are a number of alcohol stoves out there that are very efficient, lightweight, reliable and just plain work.

However, I have really come to like Esbit. I can almost get 4 cups of water to boil off of a single 0.5 oz Esbit tablet using a Caldera Cone. To me, Esbit seems to be one of the most lightweight, foolproof and safe fuels to use. Of course this doesn't mean it is perfect. Esbit has a certain smell to it, and it can leave behind some residue... but for me, all of the positives far outweigh the negatives. One of my favorite set-ups is a mostly DIY Esbit set-up. My entire cook kitchen (this is everything from my stove, windscreen, pot, lid, pot stand, towel, spoon, cup, stuff sack, mini Bic & ground reflector) weighs 2.9 oz, the same weight (or less) than just a canister stove by itself. For a 3 day trip I can carry 6 Esbit tablets which weigh 3 oz. This gives me a total weight of 5.9 oz, and that will drop by half by the time the trip is up. This will allow me to cook breakfast and dinner each day, both also with warm drinks. Check it out here:

SUL Cook Kit

Anyway, I think that it all comes down to what it is you want. For fast and easy, go canister. For a little fun and lighter weight option, go with Alcohol or Esbit. If you like to cook, I would also suggest to check out Flat Cat Gear. Jon is a fanatic! He has been working with both alcohol and Esbit stoves for a while and has really got some great, fine tuned systems. With his set-ups, you can boil water, simmer rice, or bake a muffin...and that is just the beginning!

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 29
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Feb. 15 2013, 9:40 pm)
However, I have really come to like Esbit. I can almost get 4 cups of water to boil off of a single 0.5 oz Esbit tablet using a Caldera Cone. To me, Esbit seems to be one of the most lightweight, foolproof and safe fuels to use.

+1

I grew up hauling stoves around and love my esbit set up. It does leave residue that is easily wiped off. The smell is eliminated by keeping them in a plastic bag (I don't really notice the smell when they are alight). In winter time, they do struggle a bit with the colder temps.

I am just now dabbling in DIY alchy stoves and they seem fun and effective. I like being able to add a bit more fuel in the beginning for cold temps and not having to wipe the pot is a plus.

I like that they both fit inside my kettle with my mug and lighter and flint striker and wind screen and a reflector for the pot stand and spoon.

When I'm out I am not worried about boil times- not one bit.

I like quiet and simple. I also like stuff that works despite any way I could harm it. K.I.S.S.
 Post Number: 30
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a pocket rocket and love it.  Works great, canister fuel is easy to use and I don't have to worry about spills.  I can fit the fuel and stove in my GSI Pinnacle Dualist and have my complete kitchen in a small package.  The Jetboil is impressive but it's just too bulky for me.
62 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 12:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Suggestions for New stove
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions