2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Make your own all-weather notebooks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ryangrayson Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a question.. First, I posted a tutorial on how to bind your own all-weather notebooks with recycled grocery bag covers:

http://ryangrayson.blogspot.com/2013....al.html

But, I have a question. Has anyone tried waterproofing paper? Maybe a spray. I've tried a couple, but they don't work much at all. Obviously, it would need to be possible to write on the waterproofed paper. I haven't found anything. Currently I'm  buying Rite-in-the-Rain copier paper, but it's kind of expensive and I wondered if I could make my own.

Thanks,

Ryan
ryangrayson.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 5:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I applied Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane to a paper map I printer at the office on the plotter. It keep the ink from running but the folding ending up breaking down the paper and moisture got in from those areas.

So it kinda worked for a three day trip.

Not nearly as nice as the true water proof paper some maps are made from

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My space pen writes pretty well on Tyvek, and it held up under water for a few hours. I might try making a Tyvek notebook. May not be able to have many pages since it's thicker, but I'll see how it goes and re-post.

RyanGrayson.com
 Post Number: 4
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ryan, just wanted to say cool tute. Looks like more work than I want to put in for a notebook, but the finished produce looks quite nice.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks JR. It really is easier than it looks, once you get the hang of it, but I understand, you have to like making things to spend the time on it haha.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Small Rite-in-Rain notebooks cost me $2.25.  3 x 4.5 ruled pages.  Stapled.  Not sure why I would want more than a small one for less than a month.  Seems to be one of those projects where it might be fun, but not less expensive than just buying it.  My time is worth something, even when I am goofing off all day.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 13 2013, 9:33 pm)
Small Rite-in-Rain notebooks cost me $2.25.  3 x 4.5 ruled pages.  Stapled.  Not sure why I would want more than a small one for less than a month.  Seems to be one of those projects where it might be fun, but not less expensive than just buying it.  My time is worth something, even when I am goofing off all day.

Zeke, apparently us old guys think alike... your answer was going to be mine when I opened this thread.

http://www.riteintherain.com/

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But making stuff is how I goof off lol.
 Post Number: 9
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it's fun for you don't let anyone deter you. If it would be fun for me I would do it too -- but more likely, six hours later, I would be sitting in a pile of papers and thread and have grocery bags melted to my iron...

Maybe you could sell them?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 10
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice set of instructions.
I made a book once and used my smallest drill bit between my finger tips to make a little starter hole.

Not for everyone. But I liked it.

Love the idea of fusing grocery bags together. I love DIY stuff, so this may end up with a lot of projects.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something else that might be more useful for more people, is you can fuse pieces of plastic from trash compactor bags using the same method, to make a custom fitted backpack liner that doubles as a tent footprint. I'll post more about that after I've tested it enough. Seems to be holding up well so far. I've also made some small waterproof bags out of the plastic.

RyanGrayson.com
10 replies since Feb. 12 2013, 11:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Make your own all-weather notebooks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions