2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sleep Headphones< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 9:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Link,

Can be used side, back and stomach sleeping.

Runphones are similar.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those are a joke... right?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, why do u say that.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think he's asking why anybody would want to spend time in the wilderness with earphones on. It's like going to a football game wearing a blindfold.
 Post Number: 5
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes it's pretty noisy out in the woods - maybe your tent-mate snores like a buzz saw, or the mosquitoes hum like fluorescent lights, or racoons squacking and chittering keep you awake. I always bring earplugs with me, and use them sometimes.
 Post Number: 6
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on standard earplugs. I call them "bear plugs"... I typically backpack in grizzly country and really don't want to be woken-up at night. :D

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 13 2013, 8:07 pm)
No, why do u say that.

I rarely listen to music when I'm awake. Why would I, or anyone, do it while asleep*? You can't hear it anyway when zonked out. Ear plugs are different to block unwanted noise but I don't like them either since I want to be able to hear what's going on outside the tent.

Snoring? A dirty sock and duct tape work wonders... :p

*However, I did use a "nature noises" sound machine when I traveled for work. It gave me consistent background sounds to get to sleep by for the more than 18 years of 300+ days/year in the hundreds of hotels and motels, all with different sounds. Gotta admit though... more than once I had management knocking on the door asking about the crickets or coyotes or wolves....

--------------

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 14 2013, 6:19 am)
+1 on standard earplugs. I call them "bear plugs"... I typically backpack in grizzly country and really don't want to be woken-up at night. :D

I dunno. Even though somewhat scary, I kinda like hearing a bear sniffing around. Outside... :)

--------------

Post Number: 9
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Feb. 13 2013, 10:38 pm)
I think he's asking why anybody would want to spend time in the wilderness with earphones on. It's like going to a football game wearing a blindfold.

Perfect analogy.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obviously spoken from a couple solo hikers...

Having a tent mate or two, I could appreciate being able to drown out a fellow snoring tent mate. I always have a pair of ear plugs with me for dealing with high winds but I could see something like this being more comfortable to wear but I doubt they would be nearly as efficient for dealing with snoring. Not all things in nature do I want to hear.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are back packing when the days are long, or maybe you have friends and warm clothes to hang out with you might not want something to read or music to listen to.

The other times I have wanted these is when I am with groups that don't hike that long, and have days off. I am happy to hang, but sometimes folks like to spend time by them selves.  I would chose to dayhike / take photos first but I like having the option to listen to some music if there is allot camp time.  Now that I am getting older I probably should have more down time anyway to prevent getting over use injuries. 2oz. is worth it to me to have that option, but hike your own hike as they say.

I just backpacked in January down into the Grand Canyon, and spent allot of time in my tent, and with record lows and or high winds allot of it was in my sleeping bag, I had headphones and a small portable speaker (first time I brought that).  Those worked but these seem even better. The speaker's battery could give out  and the music could bother others though I found it doesn't travel far.  I don't like earbuds, the headphones I do have fit over my ears and connect by wire so can sleep on my back or stomach, but not my side.   These are also a bit less weight than the speaker (2oz vs 3oz approx.)  They hook up to an iPod shuffle which weighs about .5 oz (My scale isn't that accurate) and is about the size of a quarter.  Plus I get a warm headband.  I would say that might be a drawback if you hike where is warm at night.

Edit: (While these are suppose to be for people who have trouble sleeping , perhaps next to snorers, and my title refers to them as they are call sleep headphones, that isn't why I would want them)  I want them so I can listen to them in my sleeping bag and be free to roll around, and if I finally get tired I can fall asleep with them)

I haven't tried them with snorers yet that is something people complain about me!  I did try them out at home last night and they stayed on for as long as I wanted them, actually the music woke me up.  I thought they would come off since when I BP my hat usually does so I have switched to using a Balaclava.
I have to see how these work under a Balaclava.
 Post Number: 12
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Feb. 13 2013, 11:38 pm)

You do that if you are a Cowboys fan
 Post Number: 13
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too carry ear plugs as "standard equipment", but this is clearly a HYOH kind o' thing. I have gone to sleep with music as well, and sometimes that's pleasant. These headphones just might make that a more comfortable experience.

Hard to believe that anyone who's been out often enough to experience high winds and/or hard rain drumming on a taut single wall would think of earplugs as "optional", but whatever: some of the knee-jerk responses here, however, do lead one to believe that at least some people are the victims of "testosterone overdose". Just sayin'...
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are the headphones I have been using lately, before I found the sleep headphones.

They have the following advantages:

1) No cross bar so one can sleep on back or stomach
  2) Very packable for the same reason, esp. since the cord is retractable, the inner foam part can be matched, and the whole head phones could be put in say cup.
  3) At least in my bed I could side sleep with them, not as comfortable , perhaps not good for the head phone either.

The disadvantage over the above ones:

1) A bit finicky to put on, can be knocked off, cord does not retract when wearing them.

2) Cant put on  a tight fitting Balaclava though a hat can be pulled over the ears if you stretch it out and over them

Still they were better than these:

These are great if you are sitting up or exercising at a gym.  But having the cross band on the neck isn't so great for lying on your back.  I found that out the hard way a couple of years ago doing a backpack with a group on the rogue which was going to be very relaxed to say the least and perhaps with allot of rain so allot of tent time.  I bought an iPod shuffle which great!

I was about to buy a cheap pair of headphones for them that goes over the head, but thought the above pair would be even better.

The headband sleep pair seem to be the best yet , I put a balaclava  on over them without problems, though I haven't slept with that combination yet.  

Should be good for hammock users too, where fiddling with stuff like this can be even more trouble.

BTW I did not find these on the Sony website so they may not be around for longer, if you would rather try them.
 Post Number: 15
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would they not work on the outside of a thin balaclava?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 14 2013, 8:40 pm)
Would they not work on the outside of a thin balaclava?

Yes I was going to try that next.  I should say one negative I have found is some of my songs are a bit quiet for this headphones, but the one I tried just now worked even with the extra padding to play thru.  I have to see if I can boast the sound in iTunes before it is sent to the shuffle.

The retractable ones won't work, they have to fit over the ear.

The other ones work well enough with just pressure against the head, so I would think the cheap ones where the band goes over the head would work as well.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 1:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should say one negative I have found is some of my songs are a bit quiet for this headphones,

I take that back, I must not have had the speaker over my ear as all of my Santana songs are quite loud now, except perhaps a few seconds of the introduction.

The speakers are a bit hard to adjust within the band, but once you have them set for you that should be it, accept putting the band itself over the ears where you want them.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

high winds and/or hard rain drumming on a taut single wall would think of earplugs as "optional"

I like those sounds.

--------------

Post Number: 19
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 3:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those are cool! Thanks for the link. I'm a nightshift worker and my son and his family are living with me so I use earplugs now. But these look like they will work real well for my daytime sleeping.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 20
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sometimes tell newbies to bring an ipod to listen to since it can be anxiety provoking to be out there without the traffic noises and assorted sounds of civilization at first.

I take earplugs, but very rarely use them, even when there is a snorer in the group. I sleep better out there.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 21
Slack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do bring ipod headphones, but hardly ever use them, I think these would be overkill for me.
20 replies since Feb. 13 2013, 9:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sleep Headphones
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions