2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: First Timer Looking For Suggestions About BackPack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jblack89 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm completely new to backpacking and traveling. I'm planning to take a trip down to Texas where i plan to camp , stay in hotels and sleep on benches if necessary.

It will just be me and my backpack , And maybe a bike when i get there to travel around on.

I'm struggling on finding how big or kind of pack i should get in regards to my situation. It will be very hot and I'll have it with me at all times most likely , I'm not sure how much or what I'm bringing. Mostly clothes , a weeks set or so. Maybe a extra pair of shoes & important documents.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This question is asked often. The answer will seem obvious. You need to gather your gear first. Go to your local outfitter and try on packs and find three or so that are comfortable. Then, try them on with all your gear in them. The one that fits all your gear...is the one.

In other words, let your gear pick your pack volume and your back pick the comfortable one.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My backpack advice to anyone who is new to backpacking or traveling: leave your backpack purchase toward the end!  My suggestion:

Buy a good book on backpacking first.  Sure, info is all over the web, but nothing like a good book written by an experienced backpacker to show you 'the lay of the land' in a cohesive, systematic way.  Three good options:

1.  The Ultralight Backpacker - Kestenbaum
2.  The Backpacker's Handbook - Townsend
3.  The Complete Walker IV - Fletcher and Rawlins

Buying gear is a lot more than individually picking 'the best' in each category or type of gear.  Just as importantly, the pieces need to work well together as a 'system'.

One age-old question that most all newbies like to ask:  "how big of a pack should I buy"?  Well, by going through the above first -- gaining some understanding of what backpacking entails, the types of backpacking you might engage in, and the gear required -- you will then have a much better understanding of the type, size and weight carrying capability you need.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
jblack89 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you guys say gear , What are the essentials outside of a pack? I plan on being in the city , urban environments most if not all the time.
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When we do backpacking, we are talking about going into the wilderness with what it takes to survive and live (food, shelter, sleeping gear, layering system, emergency kit, navigation, etc). Although less since you are in an urban environment, what you choose to bring in your pack is going to still be the place to start. It's hard to pick a pack if you have no idea what you're going to bring in it.

You wouldn't go to the grocery store thinking, I need five bags and then start shopping.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For city travel with a backpack try the link and forum in my post here:
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2300148
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jblack89 @ Feb. 13 2013, 8:51 pm)
I'm completely new to backpacking and traveling. I'm planning to take a trip down to Texas where i plan to camp , stay in hotels and sleep on benches if necessary.

It will just be me and my backpack , And maybe a bike when i get there to travel around on.

... Mostly clothes , a weeks set or so. Maybe a extra pair of shoes & ....

You are talking more about urban commuting and stealth camping in TX cities, you'll need something to blend in.  A little out of the norm here (you probably want to hit a budget traveler website), but a low profile backpack would be preferable, especially if potentially putting it on a bike.  The Osprey Kestrel series (mid-volume, stealthy color), maybe bought used (ebay is your friend) and stripped down (no need for gear loops) may work.  Keep any bike friendly features though.  No need for that many clothes in TX after winter.  Get a couple pair of good shorts, some shirt changes, and keep a pair of long pants in your pack.

If you are thinking about staying in parks,etc... better hunt up some stealth camping techniques.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
6 replies since Feb. 13 2013, 10:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply First Timer Looking For Suggestions About BackPack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions