2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: talk me out of a mid weight down jacket< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so back in November, i was searching for a middle weight puffy jacket.  i ended up with a beast mode down parka that has been a nice addition this winter, a price i couldn't turn down, but i never filled that gap between crazy cold (well below zero) and 30 degrees or so, down sweater territory.  maybe that's a gap i don't need to fill.

anyway, i saw a mountain hardwear hooded phantom jacket for almost 50% off.  weighs 17-20 oz, 6.3-7 oz of down (850).  seems like a great deal.

i know i'm asking the wrong group to talk me out of buying gear, but is there any sense in waiting, saving, and looking at the higher end down jackets i have thought about - RAB infinity, feathered friends hooded helios, western mountaineering meltdown?   or just not filling what may be an imagined gap, and just layering more and saving my pennies altogether?

thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two words: Down vest. The Helios is a nice one and more flexible than a sleeved jacket, IMHO. Cheaper as well and about half the weight.

http://featheredfriends.com/index.php/helios-vest-4535.html

They occasionally have sales too.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

why i love this site, exposing my narrow-minded thinking.  i already have their hyperion vest.  why i didn't think of layering under the down sweater, i'll never know.  will have to try it at home, but i think a very close-fitting vest will work great with a kind of roomy down sweater.  

i suspect i won't be making that purchase.  

thanks!
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great! And that pairing would give you activity options which can be useful in some shoulder temps that a one-piece parka couldn't provide.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

but....not enough room under the down sweater, and no hood is a pretty significant issue.  i can and do layer the vest with base layers and a shell, but it won't work with the vest.  

food for thought.
 Post Number: 6
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You really should get one of these:

http://featheredfriends.com/index.php/daybreak-hooded-jacket-4453.html

Mine is awesome.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 7
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you talking about while active, or just hanging around someplace?

Between zero and thirty, active, I'm usually layering baselayers : lightweight wool under midweight wool, maybe a fleece vest on top the colder it is - I like fleece vests but in winter I'm only out dayhiking and not carrying them out for overnights or anything. áI hear powerstretch is also very nice (I covet my DH's) but I don't have one of my own at this point.

At 30 I'm probably not layering much while I'm moving.  I hike warm.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

definitely talking about sitting still.  i would overheat hiking in a down sweater, forget about a warmer jacket.
 Post Number: 9
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, me too :D

My down jacket for those temps is a little oversized, just so that I can layer up underneath.  I have a couple of different weight fleeces and synthetic puffy sweaters, in addition to baselayers, that I can fit underneath the down jacket.

Now, when I'm picking up the carpool after school, standing around waiting for all of them (what it is that they do between the bell and coming out to see me is beyond comprehension!) and the wind chill is well below zero like this week, nothing beats my shin-length down coat and fluffy hat with the warm ear flaps LOL!  :laugh:

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 10
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can pick up a First Ascent 800-fill Downlight jacket right now for about $80 if you can dig on the plum color.
I bought one a few months ago & have been pretty impressed with the quality, especially for the price. It's about the perfect warmth for low-exertion activities or just hanging out in the cold: balanced between the uber-light/barely warm down jackets and the arctic-mode mega-puffies. Weighs about 13 - 14 oz.
And they're one of the only companies that make Tall sizes. I'm a lanky 6'5", and their Large Tall fits me perfectly.
9 replies since Feb. 15 2013, 5:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply talk me out of a mid weight down jacket
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions