2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camera & GPS enabled pole, advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
howardt Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 2:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask everyones opinion on a new hiking pole I am thinking of purchasing. It has a GPS and camera integrated into the handle. I take lots of pics while out and the GPS app on my phone...well you all know how that is. Anyway, I was wondering what you all thought. Is it worth the price? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds gimmicky to me.  How many megapixels in the camera?  Plus, it seems like it would be hard to get certain angles with the camera built into the pole handle.

I guess I'm a traditionalist.  I use a camera, not a phone, to take pictures.  My Nikon AW 100 is a good hiking camera and has GPS built in, but I don't really use that function.  I like the camera for the picture quality and the fact that it's weatherproof.

As far as GPS goes, mine is an old eTrex, although I'm really impressed with the Garmin Oregon and may get one in the future.
 Post Number: 3
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

definitely sounds like a gimmick to me, too.  the camera is probably crap, and so is the GPS.

the GPS on that thing can't be useful as a navigation device...I'd bet it's only there for photo geotagging.  if that's all you use the GPS for, then why not just carry a datalogger with your camera?

I don't like cameras with integrated GPS receivers, either.  the vast majority of the time, I don't want to geotag my photo so it's extra weight, complexity, and battery drain that I have to make sure is turned off whenever I take a photo.

If I do want to geotag my photos, I'll turn on my separate GPS and collect a track of my walk so I can geotag the photos I wish to when I get home.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It depends on what I was trying to accomplish. In the past, I brought a camera that I could at least record my journey. I wasn't so concerned about picture quality. I just wanted pictures. If that was what I was trying to do, I could see a camera built into one of my trekking poles as an advantage. Mind you, I said poles. I prefer a set of poles to a single pole. In regards to the GPS, if it gave you your coordinates, I could see that as being a nice thing to have so I wasn't having to dig out my GPS if I had it in my pack. I use a map most of the time so it would be nice vs. my current setup which is a GPS stuck to my shoulder strap.

Concerns:

What happens when one of the components dies? Are they replaceable? Do you take them out? Do they just sit there as extra weight?

My trekking poles are constantly being beat, smacked, etc. I would be concerned about the electronics constantly receiving shocks.

Weatherproof?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

get a Trekmount adapter for your pole - just $11.  

It not only keeps my camera on my pole, but allows me to use the pole to take self-portraits with the timer.

That way you can use the hiking pole you favor with the camera you favor, rather than be tied to a combo.

I dislike combined functions because if one item stops functioning you are left with the other functions attached to a paper weight.
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First post, hummm, about a "hiking pole" ?

What's a hiking pole ?

I loved your link, especially about the merits of having a built in camera....

Remember the first time you accented that summit,...pushed through the srubs ?

Due ewe half a spill cheque ?  

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 7
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow....Just checked the link. Massive spammer.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

there's a link?  I only see nogods' link.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 9
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Feb. 17 2013, 9:34 am)
there's a link?  I only see nogods' link.

The post magically disappeared.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like the link has been removed?  Not sure why not the whole post.

Here are my thoughts though.

Get a hiking pole that can accept a camera.  Then you can chose the camera you want and when you want it on the pole.  The trek mount might be one way to do that , but I haven't used one of those.

GPS?  I had a camera with GPS once.  It was ok, reception wasn't as good.  It was hard to figure out (or remember how to) get a way point of your current location and/or to force it to get a new one since it just did this every so often and it was very slow in doing this. (Its normal function was to put a landmark on the photo if it could find one etc.)  It also used up the camera's batteries very quickly.  Still it was an option for trips where I did not plan on really using a GPS but for some reason want a waypoint.  It also did not have other options of a regular gps like direction to another waypoint, or maps.  I broke that camera, and the version I got to replace it with was better and cheaper without GPS, so . . .  None of my other cameras have gps.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A pole shaped camera? Sounds way awkward to me.

The GPS would be ok but. Meh since i use one with a decent sized display that wouldn't be compatible with a pole.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 17 2013, 12:52 pm)
Looks like the link has been removed?  Not sure why not the whole post.

Here are my thoughts though.

Get a hiking pole that can accept a camera.  Then you can chose the camera you want and when you want it on the pole.  The trek mount might be one way to do that , but I haven't used one of those.

GPS?  I had a camera with GPS once.  It was ok, reception wasn't as good.  It was hard to figure out (or remember how to) get a way point of your current location and/or to force it to get a new one since it just did this every so often and it was very slow in doing this. (Its normal function was to put a landmark on the photo if it could find one etc.)  It also used up the camera's batteries very quickly.  Still it was an option for trips where I did not plan on really using a GPS but for some reason want a waypoint.  It also did not have other options of a regular gps like direction to another waypoint, or maps.  I broke that camera, and the version I got to replace it with was better and cheaper without GPS, so . . .  None of my other cameras have gps.

I use expertgps for mapping.  After uploading the gpx track, I can import all my photos into expertgps which then coordinates the pictures with the gpx track based on date and time.

I like the trekmount because I can attach it to (or completely remove it from) any pole.
 Post Number: 13
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our first time poster "howardt" did an all day blitz promoting his "pole" at almost every hiking/survival site on the web yesterday.

For those that missed his link, here it is, in all of it's misspelled foreign grammar.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 14
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Feb. 17 2013, 1:37 pm)
I use expertgps for mapping.  After uploading the gpx track, I can import all my photos into expertgps which then coordinates the pictures with the gpx track based on date and time.

I like the trekmount because I can attach it to (or completely remove it from) any pole.

It reminds me of the Ultra pod which I found works better than the Jolly pod on trekking or ski poles.
I would expect it to work well, just haven't used it.

I am not sure what I did with mind.

Before that I put pipe insulation on trekking poles or even an umbrella so the gorilla pod would grip better.

I have heard of syncing photos and gps based on time, but haven't done it except manually.  

Some poles have a screw on top, which you can replace with a two sided thread to mount your camera on top.

I bought mono pod trekking pole, but it slips, and put a ball head on it.  With a bungee (and two more ski/trekking poles) I can make a tripod out of it, which it more stable of course than a monopod, more weight but not as much as a real tripod.  Though in the right snow conditions you can just plant one pole instead of a tripod.
 Post Number: 15
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I say add a multi tool, bear spray, a sat phone and a plb...Then I'll think about it.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Feb. 20 2013, 9:32 pm)
I say add a multi tool, bear spray, a sat phone and a plb...Then I'll think about it.

I'm getting the duct tape out now to try that...
 Post Number: 17
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Feb. 20 2013, 7:32 pm)

Put a coffee machine on there too and I'm sold.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 21 2013, 10:55 am)

(tarpon6 @ Feb. 20 2013, 7:32 pm)

Put a coffee machine on there too and I'm sold.

not unless is also does espresso and steamed milk.  powdered, of course, with a water filter in the tip so you can just dip it into a stream to make coffee.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 19
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many brussels sprouts can fit in the handle?
 Post Number: 20
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it ain't made from bacon, I don't want it.

--------------
19 replies since Feb. 16 2013, 2:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camera & GPS enabled pole
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions