2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Buff Headwear< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
strider Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 2:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My newest piece of hiking gear is Buff Headwear. I know it's been around for a while but I just bought one recently and put it to use this morning. I did a 10 mile day hike and when I started out this morning it was a sunny 19 degrees but very windy. I wore the Buff like a balaclava with a wool hat over it for good measure. The Buff kept my head, ears, neck and face very comfortable and this was the not even the cold weather Buff. At certain points during the hike the wind was directly in my face so I pulled the Buff up over my mouth and nose. No problem with breathing at all and the moisture from my breath seemed to be wicked away. I can see this being very versatile, it can be configured into a balaclava, a headband, a face mask, a hat etc etc. we'll see how it does with bugs when I'm swamp stomping this Spring/Summer.

--------------
I haven't got any special religion this morning. My God is the God of Walkers. If you walk hard enough, you probably don't need any other god.
~ Bruce Chatwin
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a scarf right?

Every other corner of Manhattan sells them.

I have an old one i bought from Patagonia of all companies. Better than a dedicated insulated hood on a parka IMHO.
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a scarf, just a poly tube. Overpriced for what it is, priceless for what it does. Works great in multiple configurations. I have half a dozen, as they see daily use. I wear them as a beanie under a hardhat from around freezing up, for hiking from teens to 100+, and for mountain biking above ~40. In cold weather it can also be a neck gaiter or face mask.
 Post Number: 4
strider Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not really a scarf, more like an elastic like cloth tube that can be configured in several different ways. Very versatile.

--------------
I haven't got any special religion this morning. My God is the God of Walkers. If you walk hard enough, you probably don't need any other god.
~ Bruce Chatwin
 Post Number: 5
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And the you tube video on different ways to use them is pretty good too. I own 3 of them. Love em.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For swamp use, dip it in permethrin and let it dry.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a couple, but I'll admit that I haven't seen the second one in years.  not sure where it is.

I tend to use it more when mountain biking, and usually in the 20-30 temp range.  I have gone lower adding a smartwool beanie under my helmet, but the buff is getting to be insufficient for my face at that temp.  freezing breath condensation in 'clava mode makes it really uncomfortable for very long.

for the summer, I break out the wide brimmed hat.  shade from the hat is more valuable to me than wicking from the buff.  I might use it as a handkerchief to wipe sweat from my brow, but that's about it.  I can't double up in the heat.  my hair is too thick and I cook.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 8
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like mine a lot.  Often in the summer it is just a headband or ponytail holder.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Feb. 17 2013, 2:52 pm)
Overpriced for what it is, priceless for what it does.

+1

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya know, I have one.  I bought it several years ago thinking it was a pretty practical   item.  Seemed like it would be. But, I've never actually used it.  I find it scant proctection in the wint when a neck gaiter serves me better and I've never had the occasion to use it in the summer.  I often carry it though.  Perhpas one day it'll come in real handy.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife loves all of hers  asshe had multiple of them in different colors  to match up with her bping or canoeing outfits. Me I have a black one and an orange one plus a couple  I've won as door prizes ( Nat Geo one and a Gear Junkie one) I like it as it's  lt wt to use as a neck gaiter and  to use to sleep  with at night  when  cooler out.
 Post Number: 12
ddanz27 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it worth the extra 10 bucks to get the wool version?

--------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
11 replies since Feb. 17 2013, 2:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Buff Headwear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions