2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: UL1 Tents, Looking for good UL1 tent< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmsamr Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I currently have a MSR fling two person single wall tent and I always seem to be cold.  I know heat should be more toward my sleeping bag but wondering how much the tent plays a roll, plus I can only afford to upgrade one or two major items per year.  How much difference in heat retention is there between single and double wall tents?  I am guessing that a single person tent would heat up significantly more than my spacious fling.  

I am looking for a good UL 1 person tent.  Any thoughts between REI chrysalis and Big Agnes fly creek UL1?  Or other UL1 tents?  I know there is a large weight difference and $ difference.  I would like to get something around 150-200$ range.  I am constantly scanning the REI clearence/outlet.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A double wall tent isn't really going to hold any real amount of heat or any tent for that matter. It will stop the wind and air circulation a good deal, which will make the tent feel much warmer. I have noticed that silicone treated tents seem to be a little warmer, but that could be in my head. Could just be that they block more wind.

On a side note, I'm selling a practically new Big Agnes Seedhouse for 200 if you're interested. PM me for details.
It's been used exactly 3 times.

Here is a review.

http://treelinebackpacker.wordpress.com/2012....-update
 Post Number: 3
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of sleep pad are you using? If you're always cold, it sounds like a sleeping bag or pad issue, not a tent problem.
 Post Number: 4
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tent is to keep the breeze and the rain off. People who button down tight and fail to stake it out for ventilation are going to then complain about condensation...

What pad and bag are you using, and what temps are you using them in?

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 5
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't actually used one, but on paper, the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 seems hard to beat.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't take either - I don't like end entry tents.

LightHeart Gear tents, Tarptents, or just a tarp for me.

There is no difference in inside temps between single and double wall.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Six Moon Designs. They have a couple of nice lightweight 1P options, and the price is right.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When your sleeping bag is doing it's job your tent doesn't heat up much at all: it's all trapped by the sleeping bag's insulation, as it should be.

For "always cold" I'd look at your pad first, then your sleeping bag. Then your site selection.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am using a thermarest prolite Z sleeping pad.  The sleeping bag I usually use is a Kelty Light Year 3D 45 bag.  I know this bag is not good.  My last trip was Salt Creek Canyon in Canyonlands N.P.  Two of the nights out there my water bladder partially froze so I guessing around 25-30 degrees on those nights.  I am a cold sleeper but I am also wondering if perhaps I wear to much clothes while in bag so core is warm but extremities cold because I don't release much heat into bag?

I do feel that a tent will retain a modicum of heat because there is condensation.  Warm humid air contacting the cool tent material.  I don't expect the tent to keep me warm but I have read that the smaller double wall tents hold some heat.  I work in a lab so next time I will have to do a scientific study on temps in and out of tent :)
 Post Number: 10
CRhikesWV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The flycreekUL1 is a decent tent. It is light, 2 1/2 pounds or less. It sets up easily and has enough room to sleep in.
Negative:  Rain will come in if you need to exit the tent in a storm because of poor door/vestibule design.
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmsamr @ Feb. 22 2013, 12:06 pm)
I am using a thermarest prolite Z sleeping pad.  The sleeping bag I usually use is a Kelty Light Year 3D 45 bag.  I know this bag is not good.  My last trip was Salt Creek Canyon in Canyonlands N.P.  Two of the nights out there my water bladder partially froze so I guessing around 25-30 degrees on those nights.  I am a cold sleeper but I am also wondering if perhaps I wear to much clothes while in bag so core is warm but extremities cold because I don't release much heat into bag?

I do feel that a tent will retain a modicum of heat because there is condensation.  Warm humid air contacting the cool tent material.  I don't expect the tent to keep me warm but I have read that the smaller double wall tents hold some heat.  I work in a lab so next time I will have to do a scientific study on temps in and out of tent :)

Wearing too much is not your problem. No such thing unless you're sweating because of it. Based upon your sleeping bag, I'd definitely follow the advice given above in regards to pad, then bag, then site.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmsamr @ Feb. 22 2013, 3:06 pm)

Based on what you're telling us, I'd suggest that you stop focusing on the tent and start focusing on your sleeping bag. If you're using a bag that rated to 45-degree during a night when your water is freezing, then you're going to be cold. Also, if you're camping on cold rock, you may need to bring a second z-rest, at least for your torso.

Also, you don't need to work in a lab to test out this situation. Go buy three good thermometers. Place one outside, one inside your tent, and the last one in your sleeping bag. Check all the temps at 3am.
 Post Number: 13
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I concur with others. Get a new bag. Perhaps I'm projecting my own tendencies, but it sounds as though you might just want a new tent because they are a sexier and more fun item. A new tent might make a tiny, negligible difference, but a new sleeping bag or quilt will likely go MUCH further in solving your problem as stated. Either way, good luck hunting!
 Post Number: 14
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, if money is an issue, you could consider a Kelty cosmic down 20.  You can often get them for $80 or so on sale. They are fairly light, fairly compact, and seem to get good reviews. Or, if you prefer synthetic, I love my Mtn Hardwear Lamina 35 which I got on sale for about $120. I've slept very comfortably in it down to 20 degrees, though I was fully dressed in temps that low.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Water only freezes that way when it's well below 32F.

Better bag, better pad - that zlite has an R value of less than 2... you would be better served by adding another pad to it, or getting a 3 season pad with an R value of at least 2.5 - 3. And a much warmer bag. A good 20F bag.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I totally agree with y'all that 80% of it is new gear fever :)  Although I love the space of my tent (MSR fling) for the weight.  I just bought a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 Degree Down sleeping Bag.  It's slightly heavier than I wanted but the price was right.  Thanks for all the help!
 Post Number: 17
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

When your feet get cold, put on a hat. When your hands get cold put on mittens.
Same holds true for sleeping. As I got old I went to a 0* bag hat and mittens.
Pad insulation is also paramount.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
16 replies since Feb. 19 2013, 9:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply UL1 Tents
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions