2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mystery Ranch Big Horn?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I’ve wanted a Mystery Ranch pack for awhile, and I’m close to pulling the trigger. I’ve been looking for a bomb-proof lifetime pack. I’m far more concerned about durability than weight. The pack will be abused. It will probably spend more time lashed to my kayak than on my back. Short 3-4 day trips, and not a lot of miles on foot. I tend to pack pretty Spartan, but require some bulky items (fishing waders & boots or float tube).

Is there any reason NOT to get a Mystery Ranch Big Horn for my needs?

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm really pleased with my SnapDragon: but you'd better be sincere about your indifference to weight.... :)

The fabric has shown a lot of abrasion resistance, comparable to my Chouinard Crag Dubh* and I hauled that up climbing faces loaded with all sorts of heavy and ungainly crap.

* Whoa! I did a search to check the spelling and one of those sold on EBay for $158! Yowza.
 Post Number: 3
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have their snapdragon and the G6000.  the only reason i can think of for not getting the Big Horn is that you could get a Big Sky or a Trance XXX or a Glacier instead.  seriously, all their backpacks are built to endure a high degree of punishment.  assuming they fit you, any one of them should make you very happy.
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mystery Ranch makes great stuff.  I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the pack.  The only downside, and it doesn't seem this concerns you, is that their packs tend to be a little heavy and they aren't cheap.  But they are bombproof and a great lifetime pack.  It'll probably be buried with you.  Plus tey are a small local company with made in the U.S. products. I've toured the factory in Bozeman and they really are a class act.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
ArmedFerret Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we had a guy learn that crew cabs don't stop bullets (but thankfully the mine detector inside the pack at the time DID)...but short of that, good luck destroying one.
 Post Number: 6
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks everyone, that is what I wanted to hear about the durability.

I’ve been using a Granite gear flatbed + 3-4 SealLine bags (probably 10LB empty). Still love that set-up for longer trips, but it is overkill for most. It doesn’t scale down well even with smaller or fewer dry bags. The Mystery Ranch looks to be a perfect size for me, and I can use lighter dry bags (inside). It is going to be almost ultralight in comparison.
 Post Number: 7
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I'll be the odd man out... I'd love to be an MR fan and buy their packs, after all they're made in my home town. I love the build quality of MR packs. The bag designs, while not my taste, are innovative and certainly work. Materials are top notch. Price and weight? Not a concern to me.

My problem is I REALLY dislike the various suspensions on the packs, including the Guide, NICE, and X. To me they're a gimmicky, overly complicated attempt at a fits-all approach to frames that aren't as "tuneable" to my back as the original Arcflex or Arclight frames of Dana Design.

I understand the desire for a mfg to move to a fits-all approach from a cost/logistics POV, but they just don't work for me.

OTOH, a pack in the same size category is the Arcteryx Bora 50... it and the old Osprey Impala are the two most comfortable overnight packs I've ever carried.

My .02... no one get your panties in a wad, just stating my view. I've been ruined to MR packs by more tuneable suspensions.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 8
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 1:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im not a big fan of their packs.

a lot of people love them, especially on this forum, so they must be good for most.  
I have 2 packs, and basically dont like the hip belt suspension on them. Im not the only one, several people that hike with me haven't been happy with them either.

In one instance, my hip belt broke on a gregory pack in the middle of a glacier np trip.  Rather than use the mystery ranch backpack available, I chose to continue using the broken down gregory pack instead.

I think the mystery ranch packs are made great and are sturdy, i just dont think they work well for me when it comes to supporting a load around the waste. Just my personal expeirience, and honestly my fellow hikers arent big fans of the packs either

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 9
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Robinhood, which two packs do you own?

A friend of my wife's and mine used an MR for one trip and it was quite uncomfortable for her. She sold it, got an Arcteryx Bora 75 and never looked back.

IMO, if your back falls in a narrow category of what I call "factory perfect" you're probably fine with most MR packs... if you need to tune them, forget it.

Will also say I really dislike the floating nature of the harness (IIRC it's called the "Futura yoke"). It's heavily dependent  on load lifter placement, but the load lifters only have two static attachment points and won't work for everyone.

I'd not buy an MR pack "blind" unless I could try one with weight first.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 10
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 2:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 23 2013, 8:50 am)
Robinhood, which two packs do you own?

A friend of my wife's and mine used an MR for one trip and it was quite uncomfortable for her. She sold it, got an Arcteryx Bora 75 and never looked back.

IMO, if your back falls in a narrow category of what I call "factory perfect" you're probably fine with most MR packs... if you need to tune them, forget it.

Will also say I really dislike the floating nature of the harness (IIRC it's called the "Futura yoke"). It's heavily dependent  on load lifter placement, but the load lifters only have two static attachment points and won't work for everyone.

I'd not buy an MR pack "blind" unless I could try one with weight first.

Brad, I have a g6000 and glacier pack, I believe if I remember the names correctly.  Basically the same pack, just different sizes

Its all about the hip belt.  These packs are made exceptionally well, and I love the layout.  Very sturdy, great design..  They just don't tighten up around the waste like I prefer, and others that hike with me as well.

Thinking about taking out the g6 this spring to test again, see if its any better.  Ive gotten into weightlifting quite a bit, and my body has changed since the last time I used these packs.  Im curious to see if there is any difference.  Before I was skinny, and had little upper body build

Also, people have been telling me to bring them by the shop in Bozeman to talk to the guys there about my issues.  I just haven't gotten around to doing that, maybe I will this summer

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 11
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My MR G6000 is the best pack I ever owned for carrying some real world weight for 18 to 20 day trips (w/o resupply).  The biggest bugaboo of the Dana Terraplane was its tendency to sag with anything over 70 lbs.  Now I routinely haul out 80 lbs and the G6000 doesn't even think about sagging.

Like BradMT says, it's all about using your load lifter straps wisely.  The hipbelt on the G6000 is awesome, it just has to be located high enough to get away from the hip bones.  To do this the torso sheet has to be right (easy to adjust) and then the load lifter straps have to be completely loose when putting the pack on and strapping the shoulder straps tight and cinching the hipbelt tight.  THEN the load lifters are pulled moderately tight.  

Thru long experience I've learned if you don't do this the hipbelt sits too low with too much weight binding against the hips.  For me the hipbelt buckle has to stay above or just over the belly button.

Plus, the hipbelt must be changed to a small if you have any tendency to lose weight on a long trip as you need the extra tightness and to have the extra ability to go tight when needed.  I'm a scrawny bony guy so the small is mandatory.  For most of us the yoke stays the same at medium.

A buddy of mine has the MR Trance and it was stolen and eaten by a black bear in the Smokies (his report linked below) and he sent it back to MR and they did a great repair job.

I sent my G6000 back to Tim at MR as I had frayed webbing on the shoulder straps and the hipbelt.  They changed the webbing to cordura as it's longer lasting.  No charge for the repair.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums....#129405

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
10 replies since Feb. 21 2013, 3:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mystery Ranch Big Horn?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions