2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cheap Backpacking Stove, Friend on a budget< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 6:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for a stove for a friend of mine. She's on a tight college budget, so I'm looking for something that is as cheap as possible, while still being reliable.
Any have any experience with any cheap stoves off of Amazon?
I'd prefer to go with a canister stove for convenience.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Think long-term cheap, not one-time-cheap-with-costly-fuel.

Liberty Mountain Trangia Westwind.

Legendary reliability, easy to use, cheap fuel.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MSR Pocket Rocket or Snowpeak Gigapower are fairly cheap if you get them off of ebay. The MSR PR usually goes for around $20 on ebay.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The pocket rocket might be the way to go.
They're popping up pretty cheap used.

Thanks for the suggestion of the liquid stove, but canisters are much more convenient, and that's what she's looking for.
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd give her a snowpeak giga over a PR. Much less carbon monoxide with a giga. also more stable in general.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the Giga myself. Great stove. More stable too, imo.
I use it most places, unless I'm cooking something fancy. Then it's the Wisperlite 2.

She ended up going with this actually...
http://www.amazon.com/gp....=507846
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alcohol stove, Pepsi-can style.  Get 'em pre-made with a pot stand for a few bucks on eBay, and the fuel is ubiquitous and cheap.

I guess from your last response she already bought a canister stove, but if cheap is truly the #1 priority, it's tough to beat an alchy stove.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think she's just going by example. I'm usually the one who leads the trips we take (pretty large group of us) and I always use a canister stove. I think she's uncomfortable trying something different. Even though, a can of fuel is only about 3 bucks around here. Not bad at all.
 Post Number: 9
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As canister stoves go, the Pocket Rocket is a bargain.  Love mine.
 Post Number: 10
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sterno Stove. $10 on Amazon
Chafing fuel can be picked up at the dollar store and fits in the space.
 Post Number: 11
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started with a Sterno Stove, then moved to Alcohol, then to White gas, and now a cansiter.  I would never go back to anything but a canster stove.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Feb. 21 2013, 8:59 pm)
I'd give her a snowpeak giga over a PR. Much less carbon monoxide with a giga. also more stable in general.

I agree thats why I switched from a PR to a Gigapower.
 Post Number: 13
seasick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Primus Yellowstone Classic Stove

http://www.rei.com/product....l-stove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1blLCYrH480

Very reliable canister stove.  You can cook or boil.  I've used one for over 10 years without any issues and it's still going strong as a car camping stove these days.
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frihauf @ Feb. 22 2013, 11:38 am)
I started with a Sterno Stove, then moved to Alcohol, then to White gas, and now a cansiter.  I would never go back to anything but a canster stove.

Ben

I went from a campfire to a white gas to a canister to a white gas to an alcohol stove and would never go back.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went white-gas to alcohol to canister to another canister to alcohol/wood stove.  And I'm pretty sure I've skipped at least a couple in there.  I'm almost certain with my first white-gas stove, I said at some point "I'll never use anything else!"

I use any of the above stoves on different trips these days, so I guess you could say I would go back.  Each have their benefits and drawbacks... I haven't found one yet that has clear advantages over all the others in every single scenario.  Sub-zero winter trips melting large pots of snow (need huge BTU's), white gas is still the goto for me.  Short summer weekends I'll pick up the canister or alchy stove.  For extended multi-week summer trips without resupply I'll go to the hybrid wood / alchy stove to save fuel if I'm somewhere that wood will be available, which I usually am on such trips.

Not that my opinion is terribly relevant to everyone else, but it's worth pointing out that it's more about personal preference than absolutes, at least when asking the question "what's better."

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 16
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Feb. 21 2013, 6:51 pm)
I'd prefer to go with a canister stove for convenience.

Define convenience. :)

Nothing is cheaper (or easier to make) than the Super Cat alcohol stove. That is what I still use if going solo or with one of my boys. With both boys I'll take the canister. If it is a cold-weather trip (speaking daytime highs below freezing, not nighttime lows) I'm more likely to take the canister though Andrew Skurka continued to use his throughout his 6 month Alaska-Yukon adventure.
 Post Number: 17
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Feb. 21 2013, 6:51 pm)
She ended up going with this actually...
http://www.amazon.com/gp....=507846

Hi, treeline backpacker,

How does she like that stove she got off of Amazon?   It looks like a Chinese knock off of the Snow PeakLight Max.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
16 replies since Feb. 21 2013, 6:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cheap Backpacking Stove
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions