2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Protecting My Pack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Sanenomore Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a bit curious if anyone else out there hates setting down their expensive packs in the dirt and mud when they remove it? I have been tempted to carry a piece of tarp just large enough for my pack to sit on when I stop to eat or camp. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First off, welcome to the forums!

I bought my expensive pack because I wanted a pack that can handle all the abuse I could throw at it. I try and keep the portion that is against my back dry (and spray it with DWR every year) but I don't go out of my way to protect my pack. It's supposed to be tough. That said, there is a range of expense. I know of a couple guys who have packs that are worth twice what mine is worth and mine isn't exactly cheap. If I paid $1,500 for a pack, I'd be babying it for a few months before I started tossing it in the mud.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always lay down my pack slowly and carefully -- away from sharp surfaces.  But dirt is fine.  It's easy enough to wipe away at the end of a trip.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to take extra care with an old-school ultralight pack, but most "regular" packs and modern UL packs don't wear much with typical handling.  The things that I've seen shorten a pack's life are abrasion against rocks while still mounted up, and being overstuffed to a degree that's hard to accomplish.

I've never had much accumulation of dirt, either.  I'm not utterly careless about where I set my pack down, but don't baby it, either.
 Post Number: 5
Sanenomore Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I thought I might be worrying about nothing, but having just bought a new pack I thought it might be a good time to double check my fears :)
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 22 2013, 3:20 am)
 I'm not utterly careless about where I set my pack down, but don't baby it, either.

+1

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A UL pack, with the durability compromises inherent in that approach I'd be more careful with, but even then not all that much.

Main thing and more for the contents, is I don't drop a pack in a mud puddle. I do prefer rocks for their inherent cleanliness but that's about it.
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What they said.  Dirt doesn't bother me, and I couldn't care whether my pack is dirty or not.  I don't willfully treat it like crap, but it's not babied.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Speaking of which the main pack damagers in my experience have been pack contents: sharp angled metal and such that by constant pressure on the very same place on the fabric wore or tore through. Even without snow or climbing gear there are potential threats: tent stakes etc.
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Main pack damagers in my experience (doing long off-trail traverses) is abrasion.  Rocks, sticks, rocks, branches, more rocks... dragging through all that stuff wears holes and pops stitches doing it for years.

But setting it down on the ground, I really don't sweat it.  If the pack can't take that, it's not gonna work for me anyway.

ETA: I have punched an ice-axe tip through a pack before though, from the outside, so I do see the point of "contents" being an issue.  Can easily happen with a crampon too if one isn't careful.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The big thing is to keep it away from the fire. I learned this with a French Musset bag I used to hike in my woods. Thank goodness it is one purchased for little money from a surpluss store. It was a useful lesson. Also, a fire can pop and hot coals can reach out to a bag (or tent) several feet away.
 Post Number: 12
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose, I am anal about this too because I have thought about. Good to hear that it is not a big deal.

A couple of thoughts that I had were use some rope and tie it around a tree and hang the pack from that. Or if you use a rain cover take it off and set the pack on that. The rain cover could also double as a place to sit as well.  Just some random new guy thoughts.
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ Feb. 24 2013, 5:21 pm)
A couple of thoughts that I had were use some rope and tie it around a tree and hang the pack from that. Or if you use a rain cover take it off and set the pack on that. The rain cover could also double as a place to sit as well.  Just some random new guy thoughts.

I hang my pack from a tree fairly often, usually just by the haul loop on the back.  Watch out for sap on conifers.

I wouldn't use the rain cover as a mat, since I'd worry more about putting a hole in the rain cover than anything that might happen to the pack.
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't worry about it getting too dirty. If it does get too dirty for your liking though give it  a wash by hand with a soft brush and some good old plain water. No soap. Do this after your trip. Also clean the inside of your pack regularly to get out any food crumbs and dirt. I just vac mine out after each trip.
13 replies since Feb. 22 2013, 1:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Protecting My Pack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions