2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SEAL survival kit, Navy's version of the 10+ essentials< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DaveG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:27 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, I get most of it.

Seal survival kit

Backpackers can probably do without the universal handcuff key. Any practical uses for the P-38 can opener, hacksaw blade, and stainless steel wire? Comments?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DaveG @ Feb. 22 2013, 9:27 am)
Backpackers can probably do without the universal handcuff key.

What're you talking about.  I use mine regularly.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, GBH, but what happens in your boudoir should probably stay there.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As long as their fur is faux there shouldn't be any judging, IMHO.

OTOH for weekend trips canned meat has been an option. Tuna etc. and that little opener works fine. Pouches may have changed that some but I've never tried them.

For an external frame pack the wire would provide a non-stratechable repair wrap.
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 22 2013, 12:36 pm)
Pouches may have changed that some but I've never tried them.

Pouches are definitely the way to go.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DaveG @ Feb. 22 2013, 10:27 am)
Okay, I get most of it.

Backpackers can probably do without the universal handcuff key. Any practical uses for the P-38 can opener, hacksaw blade, and stainless steel wire? Comments?

I use my P-38 for small cutting, opening boxes, screwdriver and cleaning my fingernails.  I have used it to cut the top off a beer can to make a boiling pot. Used it to open a single serving can of pork and beans that the pull top ring busted off. The listed multi-tool doesn't have a canopener or screwdrivers.

Hacksaw blade is what I have chained to my flint block so I don't screw up my knife blade. Not 24". Closer to 3".  Aside from the obvious part of cutting metal.

Stainless steel wire is used in making snares.

I am not sure about the 50lb test fishing line. I try not to catch fish that are bigger than my arm.

I'd probably ditch the ink pen for a pencil.
 Post Number: 7
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OldGuyWalkin @ Feb. 22 2013, 11:11 am)
I'd probably ditch the ink pen for a pencil.

I wonder if the ink in an ink pen can be used for emergency fire starter. I think most inks are alcohol based.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be more inclined to believe that the ink is for marking on skin. (mark your tourniquet, superglue sutures, infection circles)

The wax infused cotton ball is probably the fire starter.
 Post Number: 9
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OldGuyWalkin @ Feb. 22 2013, 11:37 am)
I would be more inclined to believe that the ink is for marking on skin. (mark your tourniquet, superglue sutures, infection circles)

The wax infused cotton ball is probably the fire starter.

I didn't open the original link. I was just wondering if keeping the pen would be helpful over a pencil.

But, if you have both, then you could create kindling by shaving the wood from the pencil and use the ink to start a fire...if you have a spark source, that is.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 10
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We Italians have very specific use for the stainless steel wire...on and off the trail

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We don't have any seals where I hike so I don't need no stinkin' Seal survival kit...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 12
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:36 am)

(DaveG @ Feb. 22 2013, 9:27 am)
Backpackers can probably do without the universal handcuff key.

What're you talking about.  I use mine regularly.

Do you mind?  This is a family  forum site!   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 13
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1963. Okie-dokie, yes, of course, unquestionably and so forth.

I'll stick with my own, thanks.  Sheesh.  Must have been a slow news day.

Drake
 Post Number: 14
DaveG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As the OP, I feel a responsibility to maintain control of this thread and not let it get out of hand. So please restrain yourselves, people.
 Post Number: 15
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DaveG @ Feb. 22 2013, 10:15 pm)
So please restrain yourselves, people.

Isn't that what using the handcuff key is all about...? :p

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 16
ArmedFerret Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 6:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SEAL survival is a bit different than that for the average backpacker.  SEALs often do their 'backcountry adventures' in areas where capture by the enemy is a real possibility.  Should that happen, some very benign-looking items can be used for restraint defeat and escape.

It's a good list to look at and think "okay how can I use some of these things in my own kit?"...it's not intended to be copied down and then try to figure out what to do with stuff if you get in a pinch in the field.

If you'd like to find out specifics on each piece of gear mentioned in that list, I would recommend attending SERE school.  It's not that bad, I promise.  ;)
 Post Number: 17
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 22 2013, 11:44 am)
Thanks, GBH, but what happens in your boudoir should probably stay there.  :)  

Or rather: What happens on the ice sheet, stays on the ice sheet.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 18
sdsviet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

how are they suppose to pack an survival blanket and 2L bag in there with all those items? how thin and how small will the dimensions be?
 Post Number: 19
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to have one if it was the size of a large sardine can and wasn't at a hyper inflated DoD price.

Re: hacksaw blade.   As mentioned by another poster, these guys' trips are not just to pristine wilderness areas.  
IIRC Chuck Yeager back in WWII used a blade like this to get out of a Spanish jail.
 Post Number: 20
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I doubt very much that anybody could get into a jail packing a hacksaw blade.  And no, stealthily concealed in a body cavity is not an option that sane people would consider.

Drake
 Post Number: 21
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

P-38 Can opener might seem to be a reach, but remember that our special ops people operate in areas with populations that do not live with micro-ready meals...so if you need to forage among the heathen won't do to slice a thumb using the Kabar trying to open the refritos.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drake @ Feb. 23 2013, 7:59 pm)
I doubt very much that anybody could get into a jail packing a hacksaw blade.  And no, stealthily concealed in a body cavity is not an option that sane people would consider.

Drake

In fairness, and without going too far with details, let's just say you'd be surprised how things end up where they do....and body cavities rarely play a part.   :;):
 Post Number: 23
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The 1963 was the graphic is from the Army and it seems they trying to steer any solicitations to an all-in-one survival kit.  Of course they wear load bearing webbing in addition to a pack, so they have a place to put it.  Not sure if applicable to civilian backpackers in a 1-kit version as it would need to fit in a pants pocket if one were separated from the backpack.

Could see the use of the saw if surviving in cold and maybe wet environments if trying to start a decent fire.  There's an article on BPL about using hatchets, large knives, etc.. to start a fire in somewhat snowy conditions and that's Backpacking Light.  

Wonder if a saw blade on a Swiss Army knife would suffice?  Just a 1.6 oz Benchmark single-blade in the summer for me but in the shoulder seasons, one may want a way to start and maintain a fire.  To paraphrase the late Colin Fletcher, I don't go out in the woods to play SAS trooper... but I could see the need for backups to gear in potential multiday snow.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 24
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DaveG @ Feb. 23 2013, 12:15 am)
As the OP, I feel a responsibility to maintain control of this thread and not let it get out of hand. So please restrain yourselves, people.

Hi...

No, thanks. One straining will be adequate...!!
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 24 2013, 6:36 pm)
Wonder if a saw blade on a Swiss Army knife would suffice?

If you're talking about the Wenger or Victorinox knives, I wouldn't try it.  The steel is *REALLY* soft on those saw blade teeth, and even soft pine can make them go dull pretty dang quickly.  A sven saw, even a folding gerber saw (or something similar) would be a much better option as they're intended for more frequent use before needing a blade change.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sdsviet @ Feb. 23 2013, 10:53 am)
how are they suppose to pack an survival blanket and 2L bag in there with all those items? how thin and how small will the dimensions be?

I have something similar to this in a peanut butter jar. Not the hacksaw blade, though.
 Post Number: 27
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ArmedFerret @ Feb. 23 2013, 5:06 am)
If you'd like to find out specifics on each piece of gear mentioned in that list, I would recommend attending SERE school.  It's not that bad, I promise.  ;)

Especially if you're a Seal.  Free room, exercise partners and all the dog you can break back in, kill, and eat.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
26 replies since Feb. 22 2013, 11:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SEAL survival kit
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions