2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stuff, fold or roll a tent ?, How I do it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Franco Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometime ago there was a discussion about "small " stuff sacks and how some tents are difficult  to put back into them.
Finally yesterday i remembered to shoot a short video clip showing how I do it.
And here it is :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....index=1
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't realise you lived in Australia. I was trying to sort out your accent, and at first thought it sounded like a dutch/scottish hybrid. But now I am assuming it's either swiss german ordutch and an Aussie english hybrid.

My ex-girlfriend is from Australia and I visited there once. I had an incredible visit to the incomparable Blue Mountains area and truly hope i can return there again some time.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought my accent at Tesco in London.
You buy cheap, you get cheap...
I grew up in Italy but now I have an "English" accent when I speak Italian and a dubious accent everywhere else.
About 40% of Aussies are overseas born;  some have terrible accents particularly the Scots.

BTW, in the "small stuff sack" thread someone thought that he had the right to insult me for suggesting that maybe technique is involved in putting gear back into the original cover.
This was really to demonstrate just that point...
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm for folding and rolling as I think stuffing can put too much stress on zippers getting bent at sharp angles. I know some will say stuffing is better because you are not folding it the same way each time, but I make sure not to do that by folding it slightly different each time. I've had my various tents  for several year and never had problem with them  wearing where the folds were at.
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fold but never the same way twice. The tent (a single walled Black Diamond) goes into the sleeping bag compartment along with the ground cloth and sleeping bag.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 22 2013, 5:37 pm)
I'm for folding and rolling as I think stuffing can put too much stress on zippers getting bent at sharp angles.

I've always stuffed mine.  However, I never thought about the stress on the zippers.  Makes sense.  I might have to rethink this.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It just isn't a Franco vid without some animals wandering around. Where are they?

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pip died at 18.5  just over a year ago and her mother Lucy was put down last October aged 21 plus.
She was still jumping over the carport next door and wondering around about a week before but deteriorated very fast the last few days.
Most days I still think about feeding her or looking for her, just for a split second...
 Post Number: 9
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am sorry to hear that Franco. My daughter will be sad.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 10
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 22 2013, 2:37 pm)
I know some will say stuffing is better because you are not folding it the same way each time, but I make sure not to do that by folding it slightly different each time.

(desert dweller @ Feb. 22 2013, 2:53 pm)
I fold but never the same way twice.

I don't think I could fold a silnylon tent the same way twice if I spent all morning trying.

I fold my TT Rainbow in (approximate) thirds, full length with the floor facing out, then roll.  I like that better than Franco's way because it gives me a chance to brush the mud and crud off as I go.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you get the chance to look at the way they are packed at the factory you will notice that they do them very differently from me.
In fact I don't exactly do them the same way all the time myself .
What I was trying to demonstrate is that you need to avoid bunching up the fabric so that it will fold and roll taking up less space.
 Post Number: 12
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I didn't mean to diss your approach, Franco.  I was actually agreeing with you that folding/rolling is better than stuffing.  My main point was that worrying about folding the same lines every time seems silly with modern materials.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could be a valid point for Cuben and years ago I used to be careful with ToddTex (PTFE) but yes I can't do exactly the same folds twice with Epic or silnylon.
I tried to duplicate the factory way but can't do it .
 Post Number: 14
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting.  I have a Double Rainbow and always roll from the strut.  I'll try from the other end next time.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 15
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Feb. 22 2013, 4:19 pm)
I grew up in Italy but now I have an "English" accent when I speak Italian and a dubious accent everywhere else.
About 40% of Aussies are overseas born;  some have terrible accents particularly the Scots.

Naw, nothing dubious about your accent, I think it sounds pretty cool actually. I live in Toronto Canada which is about the most multi-cultural city in the world, so I'm pretty used to hearing all kinds of accents all the time. ;) I just think the mix of Australian and Italian sounds pretty bad-ass.
 Post Number: 16
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ain't nobody got time for that!  I just jam that **** in the stuff sack and move out.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 17
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Feb. 22 2013, 6:59 pm)
Pip died at 18.5  just over a year ago and her mother Lucy was put down last October aged 21 plus.
She was still jumping over the carport next door and wondering around about a week before but deteriorated very fast the last few days.
Most days I still think about feeding her or looking for her, just for a split second...

My condolences.  I will miss them in your videos and pictures.
I lost one late last year who made it to 23.  They're amazing animals.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Toesnorth.
Lucy was "my" cat, Pip preferred my wife's company indoor but mine outdoor.
Lucy often behaved like a dog following me around the house.
The last few days were just amazing particularly the last day and night.
I still cry every time i think of her.
 Post Number: 19
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear that Franco, that's terribly sad. :( She sounds like a wonderful companion.
18 replies since Feb. 22 2013, 3:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stuff, fold or roll a tent ?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions