2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Zipperless Big Agnes tent tech?, How bug proof is it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 12:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So they've released a follow up to their Emerald Mountain / Copper Spur series in the Fishhook. Aside from other changes the signature change is the replacement of zippers with a different door fastening system. As some one who keeps looking back at the Copper Spur UL 1 as a selfstanding companion to my Solomid for those mostly on slabs Sierra routes during higher bug season I'm intrigued.

Anyone have more insight into the closure tech?

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/fishhookul1
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since they do not completely seal, and I have seen mosquitoes find the tiniest holes to get in, I will pass on them.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes as far as I could tell it just is an overlapping drape, I was hoping i was just missing something but if you're correct (have you seen a sample in person or a better description than the product page?) and it's not a solid seal I'd agree that's not a good option for heavy bug season.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well at the summer show they were tiny magnets.

The description on the new web page says "simple clip and loop closures" which sounds like a pain to me.

I will wait to see some reviews of them on the trail. I won't apply to test one as I don't want to commit to using one for 4 months. ;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its still a series of magnets as well as some flaps for an additional bug barrier as detailed here:
http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-ne....g-agnes

Interestingly BA puts the CS UL1 as 4 oz lighter than the Fishhook UL1, or 3 oz for "packed weight"... That may reflect the CS having what appears to be a somewhat smaller rain fly.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Tent

Another oddity: the 1 pole system is different from the 2! The 1 has poles like the Copper Spur or older Emerald mountain while the Fishhook 2 is a simpler crossed pole arrangement. I first thought that was an REI error but that's what BA shows as well. Weird.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah all the initial reviews online are from the summer OR Show and prototypes. I think that may have changed. BA has nothing more about it than the blurb I quoted.

You need to just go for it HSF, and then inform us!

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

True if I got it through REI I could always just kick it back.

When's the Spring sale again?
6 replies since Mar. 03 2013, 12:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Zipperless Big Agnes tent tech?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions