2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: GPS data logger< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Am interested in obtaining a small GPS data logger.   Have searched this board "gps AND logger" but shows just 5 hits of no use.   Also poked about on web for GPS product reviews and buyer's guide.    If on a 5 day backpack might need to have it running 16 hours a day or 80 hours total if such is possible.   I have never owned a GPS and have no interest in the usual GPS navigation tools with LCD screens, maps, etc, but rather the simplest data logger gadgets that simply memory log:

location waypoint coordinates along hiking/skiing/ routes
timestamp
altitude

A product that:
Connects to a PC via USB.
runs from AA or AAA batteries a long time
Prefer to turn it on during morning when starting on trail or day hike routes and leave it so until at destinations or long stops like lunch.
Enough waypoint memory for typical 10 day backpack.
Small size.

Note will later download logged data to a PC and use standard gps software to overlay onto a topographic map.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nm

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are tons of USB GPS data loggers out there.  I've never used one for the kind of application you have in mind, but they are ubiquitous.
 Post Number: 4
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not GPSr?   My 60csx goes for 8hrs easily, 1 1/2 days per alkybattery set, longer on lithiums.  Hooks to PC via USB and loads route, altitude to PC.  I use it on our treks of 9 days no problem.  Works pretty good in canyons, under trees. Seems like that would be cheaper or easier to find than a logger per say.  Don't know  maybe I am not clear on this one.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A benchmark might be an etrex 10? $110 or so.

25 hrs per AA pair, 5 ozs.
 Post Number: 6
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

look at photo sites.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c....7634548

like here for example.  some of these dataloggers only work with specific cameras because they plug into a port on the camera body.  the cheapest is $50 and works with any camera.

there are some very nice ones that work with bluetooth GPS receivers, and they sell some of those BT receivers as bundles with the dataloggers.  I have heard good things about Holux's BT GPS receivers.  They are compatible with most smartphones and even some laptops FWIW.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 7
Floppy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the Qstarz BT-Q1000X.  The software that comes with it isn't great, but it's enough to get the tracks off the thing.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well just ordered this from Amazon for $100 including S&H:

I-gotU GT-800 GPS Data Logger Computer

http://www.bobatkins.com/photogr....er.html

Really was expecting to buy something simpler and cheaper maybe about $50 that was just a data logger but most such bare bones gadgets also tend to be poorly designed with users posting various issues.  And did not want to get one of the usual GPS mapping LCD display gadgets that often run at least $150 and up and are at that price larger/heavier than I want to deal with, so this is something in the middle.   Again my main interest is simply to graph out routes on my desktop PC AFTER I return from activities and not use it for route finding.  Nor am I interested in using it for geotagging images.  I know where I take my pictures even months and years later because I am always looking at paper USGS topographic maps.

The same manufacturer also makes the I-gotU GT-600 data logger which is 1.3 ounces and was my prime choice after mulling over a lot of products for several days.  However the GT-800 has more practical functionality out in the field and weighs just 1.9 ounces or hardly much more and notably less than other products that are just data loggers.   Significantly it takes the same Lithium ion batteries that my old broken Nikon Coolpix used of which I have several spares so I can make use of both the old batteries and charger.

Besides the GPS waypoint data logger, it has a stopwatch, a battery level indicator, motion sensor to reduce battery consumption when still, variable GPS logging from 1 second upward, a GPS compass and altimeter, and what reviewers report is rather excellent software for such a low price unit.

--------------
...David

Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool. :)  I never even knew they made something specifically like that (makes sense, I guess, just never thought about it).  I learned something today.

Glad you found something to work for ya', Dave!

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just saw this thread and wanted to chime in.  I bought the i-gotU GT-120 off of amazon and I have to say that the reception is sketchy.  It does fine in open areas, like my neighborhood park, but as I live in the PNW, it has a hard time getting signals in dense forests or canyons.  I can't speak to your specific model, hope the reception works out better for you.  

Looks like your battery options are better, the one I have can only be charged via USB.  However, the reason I bought it in the first place was that it was so tiny and I wanted to play with creating tracks and geotagging photos after my hikes.  

The software is actually pretty decent, it gives you some nice choices for displaying trip stats, and of course you can always export to .gpx for use in other map applications.  You can also clean up the track in the software, but that has been of limited use since some of my hike tracks look like spaghetti.  All that said, I consider it an inexpensive toy at present.

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CampinCarl @ Mar. 01 2013, 9:02 am)
 I bought the i-gotU GT-120 off of amazon ...

Yeah took a good look at that too and then noticed the slightly larger GT-600 which is essentially the same with larger batteries.  

Sometime in the coming month after I use it on a local hike or whatever will see how the graphing software works.   Want to manually take some waypoint readings at known topo locations and see how they really match up.   Also ought to be interesting letting it run on one of my skiing days before the season ends.

--------------
...David

Post Number: 12
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CampinCarl @ Mar. 01 2013, 10:02 am)
.. I have to say that the reception is sketchy.  It does fine in open areas, like my neighborhood park, but as I live in the PNW, it has a hard time getting signals in dense forests or canyons.

That's a function of antenna of any single recreational GPS receiver.  Forests, tight canyons and even leaves will scatter or block GPS signals.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 13
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Mar. 01 2013, 4:29 pm)

(CampinCarl @ Mar. 01 2013, 10:02 am)
.. I have to say that the reception is sketchy.  It does fine in open areas, like my neighborhood park, but as I live in the PNW, it has a hard time getting signals in dense forests or canyons.

That's a function of antenna of any single recreational GPS receiver.  Forests, tight canyons and even leaves will scatter or block GPS signals.

not so much anymore.  Most modern receivers handle difficult situations very well.

The cheaper you get, yes, the more that becomes an issue.

--------------
The GPS Geek
12 replies since Feb. 25 2013, 5:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply GPS data logger
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions