2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sizing softshell jackets< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
scienceguy288 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 6:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all,

So after tons of deliberation, I finally purchased the Marmot ROM. I am very pleased with the jacket itself, but am finding that the sizing may be a bit wonky. I first tried on a small (grey in the photo album linked below). It was tight in the chest, waist, and elbows when I put on more than one layer. Also, I noted that when I lifted my arms up, it exposed my belly (which I find less than ideal). So, I decided to return that one and size up to the medium (green in the photos). However, now that I am trying on the medium, it seems a tad loose and baggy. Is this level of bagginess a big deal and should I find something a bit more close fitting, or am I just picking nits at this point.

Here's the link to the album: An album cover

Thanks,

PS. I will be using it for climbing and mountaineering during the late fall, winter, and early spring (in the case that impacts anything).
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To be honest, it's really hard to tell any difference between the photos. I think you just have to go with your gut and what feels best. Is the small tight across the back and shoulders when you bring your arms inwards? If so, I'd definitely forgo it unless it stretches well. If you're doing a lot of climbing your arms will be up a lot, and if you don't want the jacket lifting maybe the medium is best, as long as it's not too long in the arms.

I'm between a small and medium for many jackets as well, with the small usually too tight across the back/shoulders and lifting too much with my arms or the medium too long in the arms and loose around the neck (15.5" neck), so I understand. I often just go with the medium because I can't stand the tightness of the clothing in the small unless it is really stretchy and meant to fit tight (like my icebreaker long sleeved baselayer, though it is skin tight in a medium).
 Post Number: 3
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks to me the way that jacket is cut that the small fits you better in the arms, the medium better in the body.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 4
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You may want to look into having the sleeves altered by some one (professional) that knows what they are doing.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp :D
 Post Number: 5
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The medium looks like a much better fit to me. Great choice of jacket, by the way.

Since you'll be using it for active pursuits rather than just as a hiking/low-intensity layering piece I think it is best to get the size that doesn't get pulled up to expose your stomach or has sleeves that get pulled halfway to your elbow when you reach up. The medium also looks like you'll be able to layer under it easier if it's particularly cold out.

In general, I've found softshell sizing from most companies to be slightly odd. I have an OR Mithril softshell and an Arc'teyx Gamma and I was between sizes (M/L) for each of those, however their other pieces of outerwear that I own (down jacket;  synthetic mid-layer) or have tried on fit true-to-size.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 6
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have the marmot exum, and the sleeves are on the long side.  i think that's because they anticipate people using it for climbing and other sports where people are active, reaching, etc.  longer sleeves make it less likely the jacket will ride up.

the level of bagginess is a personal choice.  in general, soft shells are cut fairly close and not made to accommodate several layers.

i agree their fit can feel kind of funky at first.  however, i have gotten used to the slightly long sleeves and otherwise love the shell's function.
5 replies since Feb. 26 2013, 6:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sizing softshell jackets
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions