2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Socks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DerekD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What socks would you recommend for hiking in 30-50 degrees? What about hot weather hiking, 90 degrees plus?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anytime the weather is above freezing, I use pretty much any synthetic (non-cotton) New Balance sock.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Smartwool

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear wool socks in all conditions, mostly Smartwool, but also REI, Fox River, or Dahlgren.  I worked several weeks outside in Yuma last summer (110F+ every day) alternating between the same two pairs of Smartwools that I wear down to zero and below.
 Post Number: 5
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on merino wool, year-round, all temps.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im a novice hiker/backpacker, so i apologize, but is there a weight difference? Like smartwool offers light, mid and heavy weight cushion support, does these weights not affect insulation as well? I ask the questions because when paying upwards of $20 bucks per pair i wanna make sure i get what i need.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It depends what you're comfortable with.  I prefer thicker socks, especially for backpacking.
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer mid-weight in summer and Expedition weight in winter. Costco sells Merino wool socks for much cheaper and if you shop around you can find off-brands that may do fine for you. It's more about the material in regards to moisture and heat management...although I still prefer to pay a bit more for Smartwools.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DerekD @ Mar. 01 2013, 11:35 pm)
Im a novice hiker/backpacker, so i apologize, but is there a weight difference? Like smartwool offers light, mid and heavy weight cushion support, does these weights not affect insulation as well? I ask the questions because when paying upwards of $20 bucks per pair i wanna make sure i get what i need.

Check sierratradingpost.com and sign up for their email 'flyers'.  They'll email you discount codes, usually an additional 25-30% off of their already discounted prices.  You shouldn't have to pay more than $10 per pair.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 10
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Light or midweight Smartwool PhD or Point 6, depending on the footwear. Doesn't change with the weather, as my feet rarely feel hot or cold.
Like TigerFan said, discover Sierra Trading Post and Dealflyer coupons. I have a few dozen pair of "$20 socks" that I generally paid $6-8 for.
 Post Number: 11
MoonNerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The above recommendations are all good.  I have socks from several of the manufacturers mentioned.  I would like to add Darn Tough merino wool socks.  They are are very comfortable yet durable.  

Our TJ Maxx carries the Darn Tough socks that apparently have cosmetic defects that I can't even see, and they are discounted.  You might try your local TJ Maxx and see if they carry them, and you can try a pair to see what you think.   BTW - I wear merino wool socks everyday at work and at home.
 Post Number: 12
DaveG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me add Icebreaker merino to the list of possibilities. They are my favorite. Midweight or heavy depending on footwear.
 Post Number: 13
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Mar. 01 2013, 11:08 pm)
I wear wool socks in all conditions

(big_load @ Mar. 01 2013, 11:43 pm)
I prefer thicker socks, especially for backpacking.

+1 on both counts.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer the Smartwool socks. I used to use some synthetic ones and after trying some wool socks I use them all the time now. Darn Tough are also good. I've been disappointed with the Ice breaker ones as they seem to pill up a lot My wife just got a pair of Patagonoia ones so I'll have to see how they hold up.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys for the answers and help! I was worried about getting socks that were too thick and would be too hot in the summertime, apparently thats not much of a issue with the merino type socks.

Thanks for the advice
 Post Number: 16
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tried every sock on the planet and keep throwing them all out except one; Thurlo Hikers with wool.

Use them year round since no matter what sock your wearing in the heat of summer your still gonna sweat through your feet.

There is a store call The Sox Market in Manchester, Vermont that sell the cosmetic blems for $9.00 of pair and will UPS to your doorstep.

https://www.thorlo.com/socks/klt/883

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 17
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear mid weight Darn Tough socks all year round.  I've tried a lot of socks and Darn Tough are my favorite.  In winter I usually wear a liner sock too.  If you are worried about your feet getting too hot, I'd be more concerned with what type of footwear you will be wearing.  If you've got burly gore tex boots, your feet will be hot no matter what kind of socks you have on.  

And Big Load . . . Yuma in the summer time, automatic respect for anyone that can handle that!
 Post Number: 18
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wool, anytime, anywhere. Mid-weights.
 Post Number: 19
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in Florida. When it's hot I use Wigwam Cool Light Hiker Pro quarter socks. I pretty much use these as everyday casual socks as well.  When backpacking in the Rockies or cool weather I use Smartwool PhD 3/4 length. Both are Merino wool. I have some Thorlo's that are good as well.  All have worked very well for me.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 20
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer synthetic socks (wright double layers) in warm weather. Wool for anything below 60.

I did get a pair of point 6 running weight wool socks that I'm looking forward to trying out when things heat up. In fact I picked up a few different weight/height point 6 socks and think that I prefer them to smartwool.
 Post Number: 21
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DerekD @ Mar. 02 2013, 7:37 am)
Thanks guys for the answers and help! I was worried about getting socks that were too thick and would be too hot in the summertime, apparently thats not much of a issue with the merino type socks.

Thanks for the advice

Wool wicks nicely and is cooler than synthetic.  The only reason I'd use lighter socks in summer is because I'm more apt to be hiking in my running shoes (so would wear my Smartwool running socks).  For me, the weight of the sock has most to do with how much extra space I need to fill inside my boot.

And a plus whatever it is on the sales and coupons for Smartwool socks.  I never buy at full price.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 22
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

merino wool blend is fine year-round.  i wear different weight socks with different footwear.

with mountaineering boots, i wear smartwool or bridgedale mountaineering socks.  both are very heavy, very warm, very comfortable.  and too thick to wear with anything except the mountaineering boots or pac-boots like sorels.  

with my leather hiking boots, heavy but fairly stiff, i wear a smartwool 'trekking heavy crew,', year round, one degree less heavy than the mountaineering socks.  occasionally, i wear bridgedale trekker midweight socks instead.  the bridgedales are little softer due to the merino/synthetic blend they use.  i have worn darn tough full cushion boot socks in the past, basically the same weight as the bridgedales.  all three of these socks are excellent and will last for a really long time if you take care of them - line dry them.    

for trail runners, I wear Point6 running light mini crews, merino wool, most of the time.  i tried some smartwool and bridgedale lightweight running-style socks and felt they really didn't wear very well, that they were very thin, didn't offer much cushioning.  i think Point6 does a better job in the thinner running sock space than some of the others.  in really steamy weather where i don't expect wet conditions, i will sometimes wear Balega running socks instead.  best non-wool socks i have ever worn.  

with fivefingers, which i wear quite a bit these days (the Spyridon does really well on trails and rocks), injinji makes merino wool blend toe socks, i wear quarter-length.  i think their wool blend socks offer superior cushioning and comfort compared with their synthetic socks.  i won't hike in fivefingers without socks.  with the wool socks, i have comfortably hiked in fivefingers down to about the freezing mark.
 Post Number: 23
Memphistiger02 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sock related question, on a hike do you take a different pair of socks for everyday or just a couple? I am going on a 4 day trip and was wondering?
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Memphistiger02 @ Mar. 04 2013, 11:00 am)
Sock related question, on a hike do you take a different pair of socks for everyday or just a couple? I am going on a 4 day trip and was wondering?

Not to hijack the question, but can you all add comments about the sock liners you wear with your socks on these multi day trips
 Post Number: 25
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In warm weather I prefer thin smartwool socks.

In cold weather I prefer thick smartwool socks.

Works for me.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Memphistiger02 @ Mar. 04 2013, 10:00 am)

I take just a couple, and swap out between them.  I always have a clean pair just for sleeping.  So usually I'm taking at least 2 spare pairs of socks for anything more than an overnight.  On very long trips (2 weeks +) I'll take 3 spare pairs, still always reserving one just for sleeping.

Works for me.  A quick occasional rinse helps, although probably not needed for a 4-day trip.  My $.02 anyway.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27
Memphistiger02 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks man, I wasnt sure.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Memphistiger02 @ Mar. 04 2013, 11:42 am)
Thanks man, I wasnt sure.

Well, that's just me.  I don't speak for everyone... I know at least a couple folks that like a nice clean pair for each and every morning.  Which is fine for shorter trips.  For long trips (I've packed up to 21 days at a stretch between resupplies), it wouldn't be feasible, and I'm not that picky anyway.

Your mileage may vary.  It's one of those HYOH ("Hike Your Own Hike") kinda things.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two pairs for me.  I try to keep one pair for sleeping, but sometimes I alternate them.
 Post Number: 30
TrailScouter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 pairs of smartwool med wt. socks does it for me for the 3 seasons.  I like the cushioning of the med wt.  Also I always wear liner sock.
30 replies since Mar. 01 2013, 10:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Socks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions