2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lightweight Sandals, Whats a good weight?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoWest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 10:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm shopping for new camp sandals for backpacking, and want something very light.  What is light, 4 , 6, 8 ounces?

--------------
Kiss my days, light up my nights.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of sandals do you mean? Water sandals? Flip flops? You can get those kind with the toes, too. Probably the lightest weight, most portable option. Fila Skele-Toes are $40 @ Dick's right now.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My camp shoe of choice are knock-off Crocs.  (Real Crocs are a lot heavier than cheap knock-offs.)  The best source for us has been our annual spring trip to Mexico.  At the Mega in Playa del Carmen last week, they were less than US$10 and a men's size 10 (for my son) weighs 8oz *for the pair*.

I like the Crocs because I can wear them with socks, they're waterproof, easy to slip on and still protect my toes.  They're also industructable.  The only reason we buy new ones every year is because my son keeps growing out of his.

Note that most shoe weight specs are per shoe, not the pair.  You'd be hard pressed to find anything lighter than 4oz except maybe flip-flops.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on the "knock-crocs". My $10 pair are one of the longest lasting pieces of footwear I own, and remain as comfy as the day I bought them. I wear them inside at home during the winter (drafty) and bring them as camp shoes.
 Post Number: 5
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree with the knock-off Crocs. The weight is negligible and well worth it. I wear them in camp and for stream crossings.
 Post Number: 6
Sanenomore Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 5:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just use my Crocks, and assume knock-offs would work just as well.
5 replies since Mar. 04 2013, 10:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lightweight Sandals
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions