2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacker Gear Issue, The 10 Essentials, How Valid and Accurate are Recommendatio< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
striker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't argue with having a compass, first aid kit, and fire starter as well as extra food.  I doubt I need to spend money for the products they list.  I've had the same compass for years and rarely use it. I made my own first aid kit and place it in a zip lock plastic bag.  Besides, I don't see a tourniquet or Israeli Battle Dressing. Their recommendations for knives suck. The Bear Gryllis one is made of an inexpensive stainless steel, common in kitchen knives. Does not hold edge long. The SOG Power Assist is prone to failures as noted in Amazon reviews. Why would I spend $82 for a hiking sun hat by Tilly or  $200 for a Leki Hiking Pole? Are they just looking for what's new?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it's mostly that they do in fact recommend only based on what's new.
People, generally, aren't interested in seeing old gear they've seen around for years.
Sure, this stuff might not be the best out there, but apparently someone liked it, or received a check for saying they did.
On the defense of backpacker, it would be pretty boring to see the same gear awards for the same products year after year.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you will find Tilley Hats well recommended all over the place.  Just one example.  Tilley is the hat you buy once and wear for 15 years.

I see your point, but not all of us are poor students.  Some people like to know what is worth the coin, and what isn't.  It is like many other articles of gear.  There are different pieces of gear for different price ranges.  

It may be like comparing Wilderness Systems Kayaks to Nigel Dennis kayaks.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey I love my WS kayak...and I haven't been a poor college student in over 35
years....(boy  it sux to say that)

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 5
oldhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last few years Backpacker no longer publishes the matrix of gear ratings in the annual gear issue.  You had to view it online.  Is it available this year and if so where?
 Post Number: 6
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide-2013-charts/gear/17288
 Post Number: 7
sarahspins Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(striker @ Mar. 05 2013, 10:21 pm)
Why would I spend $82 for a hiking sun hat by Tilly

Because Tilly makes awesome hats :)  I've never bought one retail, and I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend that much on a hat... but if you know your size you can often score them for next to nothing on eBay.  The last one I bought I spent all of $22 on, including shipping.
 Post Number: 8
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried on a Tilley today...wow awesome fit and hat...I have a small head...goes along with the rest of me...sigh...and have a hard time finding hats that don't sit half way down my ears...This hat fit perfectly...I did not buy it because of the cost, $80...but I'm having serious second thoughts.
I downloaded their catalog and several pages of reviews on the hat...the Airflow...perhaps that will push me over the edge to buy it tomorrow.

I too find some of the stuff a bit silly or there are better and less costly ways to go about filling the list.
I like knives and prefer a KaBar BK16 fixed blade and a Benchmade mini Barrage for EDC. I also make my own first aid kits.

I do appreciate what is listed as I use it to review what I have and use...it never hurts to review your kit and think about its' current validity and possible improvements.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ten essentials list is archaic. It is nothing more than a shopping list.

Even the Mountaineers have abandoned it for a more functional approach to survival equipment.

The Ten Essentials – A New Approach

and:

THE NEW TEN ESSENTIALS -- A SYSTEMS APPROACH
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't pay attention to the 10 essentials. Almost everything I/we bring is "essential" depending on the situation or possible situation. I don't bring a hat. I have a hat built-in to my rainshell. I bring backups of things I consider important (two alcohol stoves), two small knives, lighters in several different locations (on person, in firstaid kit, in stove kit, in general goods bag), two headlamps - one on person and one in general goods bag, parachute cord, etc.

I bring snow goggles in all seasons except for mid-summer and then I bring sun glasses (never did until I ran into a freak storm a few years back).

I bring three compasses, two maps, and two GPS systems.

In winter, I bring a backup shelter (bivy) along with my main shelter. I also bring a closed cell foam mattress along with my primary mattress in winter.

Each trip brings it's own challenges and have planned even down to the role of individuals on a particular hike (lead navigator, Medical, Tail of group, etc) depending on the seriousness of the hike.

We often discuss who will be bringing stoves, how much fuel we have as a collective, who has what shelters, items that each person will bring. On an extended hike last winter, we all carried extra items so that if one person lost their gear, we would be able to continue on without concern.

The 10 essentials is a great place to start.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are the 10 essentials? Everyone has a different list.

(and I'm not really interested in yours)
 Post Number: 12
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The list under the 'NEW TEN ESSENTIALS' is pretty much how I've gotten the basics down; buy it, find it, make it. During the colder weather, I use plastic pint Smirnoff vodka bottles. The are made to conform to the body, so I fill a couple with water for the trail, keeping them inside interior pockets. I fill with warm/hot water before bed to come with me into my bag, providing a bit of warmth at first, and keeping it from freezing for morning coffee.

As for the 'system' approach, I keep my first aid kit, repair kit and sewing kit together. See: 'Repair.' And all are useful in one sense or another all repair situations, be they of the body or the gear. Thankfully I've never had to use the sewing kit on a boo-boo, but I have set a dislocated pinkey with duct tape.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 13
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've just decided that Fireball Whiskey is now part of my ten essentials..

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 14
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pretty certain that Backpacker's main purpose is to sell expensive gear.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 15
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Honestly? It depends who is writing the article and what items they have procured for being reviewed, what is new on the market and or hasn't been written about. And of those items, what fits the bill for the article idea.
I can say this as someone who has written a review article for the magazine.....
So take reviews with a grain of salt, but hey...you might find new companies or gear you hadn't heard of before.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 16
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scoff if you will, but if you don't have a $350 rain jacket, you most likely are going to die out there.
15 replies since Mar. 05 2013, 10:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacker Gear Issue, The 10 Essentials
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions