2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "New" "Retro" JanSport D2 external frame pack, Anyone tried it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone have any experience/reviews/trip reports with the "new" "retro" JanSport external frame backpack?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 6:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used the original D3 a LOT from 1977 - 1978 (same frame and nearly identical bag but just a bit smaller)... not something I'd ever go back to.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My old D3 is hanging in my garage.  Still usable but I'd need to  lubricate the zippers.  I have a hiking buddy who still uses his.  For heavy loads, it's pretty good but I'm much happier with my internal frame packs.
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well if it's both "new" and "retro", I gotta have it.  Just gotta!

j/k. :p

Seriously though, no experience with it.  Good luck.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a 650 mile hike the summer of 77' one of the u-shaped hip-bars gave out and cracked in half on my D3. I finished the hike without the load-transfer bars. It really wasn't any less or more comfortable without them.

As far as frame packs go, it was about the most comfortable one could get at the time, at least for me, but I switched to internal frames in 1978 and never looked back.

Course, a poor fitting, improperly packed or driven internal frame is not comfortable and based on what I've seen on various trails most would be better off with an external like the D3...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a D2 in the 70s, and thought it was pretty good. When I got into off-trail hiking and ski mountaineering, I also made the transition to internal frame packs for about the next two decades.

My first internal frame I loved until I wore it out. It was a Class 5 Mountaineering with an X-shaped pair of aluminum stays you could bend to fit. Haven't seen anything like it since. After that, I tried 2 different Keltys and wasn't happy with either one of them.

Now that the girls are big enough to backpack, I'm replacing old or disliked gear, and wondering if--at least for on-trail use--I should go back to the JanSport which I can't remember having any complaints about.

I backpack archery hunt, and the external frame seems to be better suited for packing meat. I would stick to an internal frame for anything like X-C skiing, ski-mountaineering, climbing trips, canoe trips.

I'm just real tempted to use an external frame pack on established trails.

Maybe I need a caddy to carry a selection of packs for me to choose from?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For establshed trails both my A16 HipHugger (yes, that was the name: the 70's what can I say?) and my GF's Jansport D series were great packs: in the warm Sierra summer the extra ventilation was a nice perk and the instability associated with big moves over rough terrain weren't an issue.

But a little later while coming down an angle of repose talus slope for a few thousand feet from the divide between the headwaters of the North Fork of the San Joaquin and the drainage south of Donohue Pass I, then using a Gregory internal was medium comfortable on a terrain where every slab and chunk, once weight was transferred onto it, moved ever so slightly, while she in her D2 finally freaked to the point she had to shed the thing and come down the last third without it.  Now that wasn't an impromptu route change (we were hooking up with a section of Roper's Sierra High Route back into Yosemite from the San Joaquin) so we should have anticipated the issue. But we didn't and she really liked that pack.

The balance issues of an external are going to be there so if it's only for trail use, then it's a good choice. Immediate comfort is a very good thing to be considered.
 Post Number: 8
CX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If anyone with an interest in the Jansport name were still involved in the manufacturer of equipment under that name, this pack would never have left the building.

The pack bag appears to be about the same, although the fabric may be a bit lighter than the original, but the frame is terrible by comparison.

The original hip suspension loops had nylon bushings where they connected to the pack frame. Now you have a very poorly machined metal-to-metal connection that simply doesn't work. If you were to tighten them enough so they wouldn't snap and pop with every step, they'd be too tight to even open to put the pack on. I just can't imagine what anyone was thinking when they decided this was an acceptable design.

And the other fittings that hold the various tubing sections of the frame together are similarly poorly machined and also snap and pop and wiggle excessively. The only way I made my new pack even usable for a test trip was to take fittings off two old Jansport frames to re-assemble it.

But there was just no repair for the hip suspension portion without having parts from a real D2, which I don't have. There are some other issues, but without serious help for the frame they wouldn't matter much.

I carried one of the originals for more than thirty years for business and pleasure before it was destroyed in a fire, and I can assure you this is not a reintroduction of the original. I wish it were.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CX @ Mar. 09 2013, 11:01 am)
If anyone with an interest in the Jansport name were still involved in the manufacturer of equipment under that name, this pack would never have left the building.

. . . the frame is terrible by comparison.

Now you have a very poorly machined metal-to-metal connection that simply doesn't work.

The only way I made my new pack even usable for a test trip was to take fittings off two old Jansport frames to re-assemble it.

I can assure you this is not a reintroduction of the original. I wish it were.

Well, that's disappointing.

For the asking price, I was expecting improvements to a time-tested design--not an under-engineered knock-off.

Has anyone else actually bought this pack and tried to use it?

--------------
8 replies since Mar. 05 2013, 11:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "New" "Retro" JanSport D2 external frame pack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions