2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: big agnes air core pad< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone use this pad? My dad is interested in it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad which is similiar. Your Dad  will love it  as it gives you good cushion from the ground. I'm a side sleeper and it works great for me. My wife and I each have one and she loves  hers  as we used to have Thermarest pads.
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't bother with the non-insulated version.  The IAC is very nice and I used one for years.  I recently switched to the newer NeoAir, which provides comparable warmth, but is even lighter.
 Post Number: 4
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an Air Core and I love it.  Got it on sale for less than 50 bucks, and it has improved my trail sleeping a lot.  South and Central texas rarely gets colder than 30 degrees, even in the dead of winter.  Saw no need for the insulated.  

I learned that I am more comfortable when I inflate it  and then let a bit of air out when settling in. Makes it more squishy.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 5
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I both have one.  Best thing i ever bought for myself for camping.  I am going to get my wife the insulated one as I bought her a BA bag and she is very cold natured and needs the insulated pad to keep from being cold.  It takes me 25 breaths to blow up mine and I have the long version and about 20 breaths on my wife's standard pad.  Good product and seems to be durable.
 Post Number: 6
FSGOLD Search for posts by this member.
FloridaTrekker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had three BA insulated air cores for a number of years now. They have been excellent and used a lot. One  developed a leak that I could not find, they told me to ship it back and they sent me a new one.  Great product and company.

--------------
FloridaTrekker
 Post Number: 7
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They're not bad, but if you compare them next to the Expeds you will choose an Exped---unless you care a lot about the weight difference---I don't because the added comfort of the Expeds is worth the extra weight.

Advantage of Expeds:

1) Much nicer material. Feels soft against the skin, doesn't slide around the tent, sleepin bag doesn't slide off it.

2) THe tubes are larger, which is more comfortable.

3) Potentially more durable.

4)Built-in pump
 Post Number: 8
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Expeds are a lot more expensive, though they're nicer pads. There are lots of different models, so a brand name is just that.
The Synmat UL7 is 1/4lb lighter than the Air Core 20x72 mummy, and 1/2lb lighter than the Insulated version.
I have both the Air Core and Insulated Air Core, and like big_load said, would have just bought the IAC, except that I bought the regular Air Core to try first. Since I have both, I just use the Air Core above the 40s, and Insulated for anything less.
If the money isn't an object, the Synmat UL7 and Downmat UL7 are definitely what I'd look at(they're on my "want not need" list).
As far as bang for the buck, the Air Cores are probably the best inflatables on the market, though.
Some people prefer horizontal baffling. Have to try them both, and see.
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an Exped and a BA Q Core. No difference in comfort. Quite a difference in R value tho (9 vs 5).

Did not like the Insulated Air Core vertical tubes, also they have been the noisiest pads in camp on our group outings. Guaranteed for giggles if someone turns a lot trying to get comfortable with all the nylon-on-tent-floor groaning.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Mar. 08 2013, 11:52 pm)
Some people prefer horizontal baffling. Have to try them both, and see.

I owned a pad with horizontal baffles and didn't like it. It's easy to fall off the side---when your weight shifts to one side, that side collapses. The vertical tubes prevent that.

The price of pads seems to have skyrocketed, eh?

Comparing the comfort of the BAIAC and the Exped Synmat 7, I would rate the Synmat 7 as about 50% more comfortable personally, which is significant.
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After being used to the IAC's vertical baffles, I thought horizontal baffles would bother me, but they didn't.  I also thought the NeoAir's noisier fabric would bother me, but it didn't.
 Post Number: 12
BTall Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have this pad and like it a lot.  For the price, it is a great value.  You certainly can pay more and get something lighter if that is important to you.  I try to use a hammock as much as possible, so I don't use an air pad as much these days.
11 replies since Mar. 08 2013, 11:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply big agnes air core pad
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions