2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Flat Cat Snow Leopard< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevperro Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 7:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone try the Snow Leapard from Fat Cat?  

I'm fairly attached to my GSI mug and it looks like an attractive solution with the stove, windscreen and everything able to fit inside for easy packing.

--------------
“He is a self-made man, very much in love with his creator.”

Benjamin Disraeli
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got the Bobcat also from Flat Cat Gear. Very happy with the Bobcat, but I haven't tried the Snow Leopard. Jon, the owner of Flat Cat, is very knowledgeable.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought one, but either the windscreen with the tabs is not up to the task, or I did something that I wasn't supposed to do, but all the tabs on one side simply burned off. I wasn't all that pleased. I've made stoves myself that work more effectively. But, then again, perhaps I did something "not kosher" that caused my problems.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 14 2013, 5:43 pm)
I bought one, but either the windscreen with the tabs is not up to the task, or I did something that I wasn't supposed to do, but all the tabs on one side simply burned off. I wasn't all that pleased. I've made stoves myself that work more effectively. But, then again, perhaps I did something "not kosher" that caused my problems.

Wow.  What happened?

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know. I used the windscreen and the pot it was designed to fit, as well as the stove. After the first boil, the little tabs at the top of the windscreen were so fragile that they simply fell off along about 1/4 of the circumference.

To say the least, I was surprised. It was only a backyard test (which I always do), so there were no serious consequences, other than the loss of my money. I tend not to return things, but this wasn't something I could fix. Since I found the flame pattern to be a bit wide for the pot I was using anyway, I just tossed it into the "live and learn" bin.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, what a trip.  What kind of fuel did you use?

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hear bending them back and forth too much is an issue.   With aluminum it is fatigue thing.   You wouldn't have that issue with titanium but it would be more expensive product.

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikingJim @ Mar. 14 2013, 8:43 pm)
Wow, what a trip.  What kind of fuel did you use?

HJ

I was using denatured alcohol. I believe it was the same brand I always use: SLX - get it at Lowes or Home Depot. I found some Sunnyside at an Ace last year some time, but I think I put it on a shelf and it's still there. It's supposed to be less "toxic", but I don't know. I have never tried Heet.

Like I say: I was completely surprised, though I've done enough experimentation with aluminum can stoves that I absolutely know that aluminum will melt, burn and fold up like paper with enough heat, esp. at the thicknesses used in pop cans. I tried to execute some of the designs I've seen on Japanese stove websites in Coke cans, but the Japanese were apparently using steel cans (ever drink Japanese beer? Steel cans...), and that is a huge difference.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, well, that's unusual behavior for an alcohol set up.  It shouldn't burn the aluminum like that.  Did alcohol spill?

Have you tried talking to Jon Fong who runs Flat Cat?

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
 Post Number: 10
FLATCATGEAR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I seem to be having troubles as this is my first time posting on this forum.  For any issue with FLAT CAT GEAR, contact me directly so that I can help resolve the problem.  Jon@flatcatgear.com.  If we can't fix the problem, we will gladly refund you the amount of your purchase.  Best regards - Jon
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for posting Jon. Welcome to the forums. What's your opinion on bacon?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Mar. 15 2013, 11:04 am)
Thanks for posting Jon. Welcome to the forums. What's your opinion on bacon?

Bacon =  Ummmm .. good.

I'm more interested in baking... not bacon though.

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevperro @ Mar. 15 2013, 9:06 am)
[quote=Tigger,Mar. 15 2013, 11:04 am]

Jon's systems work really well for baking.

Triple berry muffin cooked with a Bobcat system:

Mmm, good.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikingJim @ Mar. 15 2013, 12:40 pm)

(kevperro @ Mar. 15 2013, 9:06 am)
[quote=Tigger,Mar. 15 2013, 11:04 am]

Jon's systems work really well for baking.

Triple berry muffin cooked with a Bobcat system:

HJ

Jim,

Did you use his solid fuel stove to Esbit those muffins?    I'm trying to figure out all the pieces I'd need to do this with my GSI Haulite.  

I think.... and maybe Jon can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong:

Snow Leopard Jr.   (fits GSI mug)
Epic. Ti. Stove for Esbit
Aluminum inner cup for baking

Can you give us weights on all these pieces of the puzzle or correct me Jon?

THXS!

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I used the Epicurean titanium stove.  It's a great stove for simmering or baking with ESBIT type fuel.

The weights should all be on the Flat Cat Gear site (http://flatcatgear.com).

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a link comparing steam to dry baking using the Snow Leopard System http://youtu.be/INgLXQtzWJg).  You are correct in that I use an Epicurean Stove with the baking pan, with the pan directly on the pot.  Best regards - Jon
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I owe an apology to Jon and Flat Cat Gear for my previous posts, but not because the incident did not happen, but because I posted it without really knowing what the specific circumstances were. Without additional information about the stove, the specific Flat Cat stove and its use in that instance, it's impossible to say what "went wrong". Normally, I'd document such things - even taking pictures - but I did not in this instance.

I had not intended to sound "snarky", but, reading it now, I believe it comes off that way. My own stoves perform well, but they also require very specific conditions for operation, something I'm fully aware of because I made them and had to "tune" those conditions until they performed as well as I wanted.

At this point, about all we can assume is "operator error", esp. if no one else has ever had this particular situation occur. Clearly, Jon of Flat Cat Gear is a responsible vendor, and he's already stated that he would accept responsibility to the extent of a refund.

BTW, I'm not interested in a refund. If anything, I'd perhaps be interested in purchasing a replacement windscreen. I haven't spent all that much time on Jon's website, but I can't find a place there where I can make that kind of purchase - of "parts", that is. For whatever reason, I find the website difficult to navigate - but, again,  I'm sure that's just me.

As I recall, I'd ordered three or four stoves at the same time, and this was just one of those I was "yard testing". Perhaps I overfilled the stove or spilled some alcohol. I truly do not remember. I can't even find the stove at this point, and I've been otherwise occupied for the last few days, or I'd have pulled it out and "retested".

The kit I ordered was, in fact, a "Snow Leopard" - I found the order - one designed, as I understand it, for taller, thinner pots. In this particular instance, I believe I used one of my Evernew  pots, the 750ml, as the pot (it fit, if I recall correctly).

If I find the stove and get a chance to "retest", I'll post the results.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FLATCATGEAR @ Mar. 15 2013, 11:06 pm)
Here is a link comparing steam to dry baking using the Snow Leopard System http://youtu.be/INgLXQtzWJg).  You are correct in that I use an Epicurean Stove with the baking pan, with the pan directly on the pot.  Best regards - Jon

Thanks Jon.... I think you will see some of my money before my next hiking trip.    The smaller mugs don't save much weight but I use the GSI Haulite as my coffee mug too.

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, I'm not interested in a refund. If anything, I'd perhaps be interested in purchasing a replacement windscreen.

Gabby, please email me your order information (jon@flatcatgear.com).  Also, if you can send me pictures of your setup and your windscreen, it would help out a lot.  Getting these pieces of the puzzle will help me to figure out what happened and how to avoid this problem in the future.

Best regards,

Jon
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevperro @ Mar. 15 2013, 3:33 pm)
I think.... and maybe Jon can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong:

Snow Leopard Jr.   (fits GSI mug)
Epic. Ti. Stove for Esbit
Aluminum inner cup for baking

Can you give us weights on all these pieces of the puzzle or correct me Jon?

THXS!

The Snow Leopard System weighs less than 2.15 oz. / 61 grams

The Epicurean Titanium stove weighs < 19 grams
The Epicurean Titanium UL15 weighs 7 grams
The baking pan weighs 2.05 oz. / 58 grams (assuming that the trimmed pan will fit inside your GSI Minimalist WITH the windscreen in place.

Best regards - Jon
19 replies since Mar. 14 2013, 7:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Flat Cat Snow Leopard
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions