2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Alps Mountaineering tents, tents< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
normal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 11:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone here use an ALPS Mountaineering tent? My ex wife got our Marmot Equinox in the divorce and I need a new tent. I don't need a tent that large now that it is just me for backpacking. I am looking at the ALPS Mystique 1.0. It has good reviews on REI, it is lightweight, and is on clearance. I know ALPS is not a top of the line brand, but is it decent and a good value?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We use Alps tents for our Scout Troop... decent tent for a decent price...'value' is where Alps rocks!
My troop has a few Mystique 2's and they are pretty small. If you are set on the Mystique from REI I'd opt for the 1.5 version, but I think there are better options out there for you for just a little more $ if you can swing it.
Search around and watch gear swap on backpackinglight.... might get something really of 'value' there.
 Post Number: 3
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would choose the REI Passage 1 over that ALPS tent.

The ALPS tent doesn't look to be free standing. While my BA Seedhouse 1 also has the front entrance like the ALPS vs side entrance like the Passage; I much prefer side entrance of my other tent.

Wait till the 22nd of this month and use your coupon if the extra cash is an issue.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 4
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with Ron.

I own an older model Alps tent, an Orion 2, that is bulletproof and works as a solo tent in winter conditions. But it's heavy compared to other options and will probably be regulated to scout camp duties once I buy another two-man tent.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the input everybody.
 Post Number: 6
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I own a Zephyr 2 and it's great. It is a free-standing, two-person, but at 4.5 lbs, not too bad. The Zephyr 1 is under 4.

I would stack my tent up against anything but expedition gear. I've had it for about five or six years, twenty or so trips in sweltering heat to sideways rain to a few inches of snow and it's done me just fine.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would rank Alps the same as Eureka.  Non sexy but solid gear.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is mainly what I am looking for. I won't be doing as much solo backpacking, so it won't get a lot of use. Since it won't get used a lot, inexpensive is good. Since I will be carrying all of the gear I wanted something small and light. The ALPS fit those requirements and the reviews on REI all agreed that it was a solid piece of gear that kept the reviewers dry.
 Post Number: 9
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 15 2013, 12:39 pm)

I think Alps is a step above Eureka. The construction and fabrics are very solid---similar to REI. The designs are better than Eureka, and they're lighter than Eureka. AND YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICES. You can find Alps tents at unbelievably low prices.

I have the Zephyr 2 and the Hybrid CE 3. Personally, I find the weight of the Zephyr 2 very acceptable for backpacking, for the space and features you get.

Alps Mountaineering is your Toyota Corolla of tents---no bling, lots of quality.
 Post Number: 10
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TT, you should tell us all just how many Alps tents you have had by now.

(And how many Eureka and REI, and...) ;-)

I used to be the shelter guy. My hat is off to the crazy tent lady. At least they don't smell as bad as cats, right TT?

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 11
falaird1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the zephyr 2. It is a good quality tent at a low price(I got mine for $90 on STP). At 4.5 lbs its not too heavy and has held up well to rain and wind.
 Post Number: 12
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Zephyr 3. It is a tank. I like it, but just heavy. Thought that maybe my boys would go with me. They don't so I have too much tent. We have used it for non backing quite a bit. They are good tents.
 Post Number: 13
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Mar. 15 2013, 2:24 pm)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 15 2013, 12:39 pm)

I think Alps is a step above Eureka. The construction and fabrics are very solid---similar to REI. The designs are better than Eureka, and they're lighter than Eureka. AND YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICES. You can find Alps tents at unbelievably low prices.

I have the Zephyr 2 and the Hybrid CE 3. Personally, I find the weight of the Zephyr 2 very acceptable for backpacking, for the space and features you get.

Alps Mountaineering is your Toyota Corolla of tents---no bling, lots of quality.

Oskar67?  Is that you?   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Mar. 15 2013, 7:11 pm)
TT, you should tell us all just how many Alps tents you have had by now.

(And how many Eureka and REI, and...) ;-)

I used to be the shelter guy. My hat is off to the crazy tent lady. At least they don't smell as bad as cats, right TT?

I bet you have twice as many tents as I do. I'm down to three. One each for the living room, bedroom, and office.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ Mar. 15 2013, 10:17 pm)
I have the Zephyr 3. It is a tank. I like it, but just heavy. Thought that maybe my boys would go with me. They don't so I have too much tent. We have used it for non backing quite a bit. They are good tents.

A tank? It's 5lbs 7 oz. What's wrong with that? Less that 2 lbs 11.5 oz per person for two people.
 Post Number: 16
redfox1939 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ALPS Tents are known for offering great weather protection with full coverage flys and “more than normal” waterproof coating.  The tent appears to have a “bathtub” floor, but in reality, there are seams running at ground level around the perimeter of the tent. While this may be a concern for some, ALPS ensures all seams are factory-taped and sealed to dispel seeping water. The taffeta rain fly, floor and walls are all coated with water-retardant urethane.

----------------------------------------

http://thehikehouse.com/sedona-trail-finder
 Post Number: 17
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Mar. 16 2013, 12:37 pm)

A tank? It's 5lbs 7 oz. What's wrong with that? Less that 2 lbs 11.5 oz per person for two people.

My four season five man tent (the one in my avatar) weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. for comparison...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
Autoeng Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Mar. 18 2013, 10:24 am)
My four season five man tent (the one in my avatar) weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. for comparison...

I would venture that it costs considerably more than an ALPs tent though.

You can get a Mystique 1.5 for $64 on Amazon and the 2 for $80 at Cabela's. I have the 2 and find it to be a great 1 person tent.
 Post Number: 19
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Autoeng @ Mar. 18 2013, 12:03 pm)

(Tigger @ Mar. 18 2013, 10:24 am)

I would venture that it costs considerably more than an ALPs tent though.

You can get a Mystique 1.5 for $64 on Amazon and the 2 for $80 at Cabela's. I have the 2 and find it to be a great 1 person tent.

Yes. I paid $210. I wasn't comparing prices (Mind you, that is for a five man so the price is actually relatively comparable). I was comparing weight in reference to the "tank" comment.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Mar. 16 2013, 3:37 pm)

But most of the time it is just me. So there is no dividing. The only time that I share it is on Scout outings and that is car camping. So I do not haul it very far. I would like something a little lighter for my solo trips.
 Post Number: 21
krp234 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Autoeng @ Mar. 18 2013, 3:03 pm)

And here I thought I got a great deal at $80 for the 1.5 tent. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I set it up in my house. It's nice and roomy, it will hold all your gear without feeling too cramped. It's not the lightest tent, but you can save some weight if you leave behind the rainfly and a few stakes.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ Mar. 20 2013, 9:39 pm)
But most of the time it is just me. So there is no dividing. The only time that I share it is on Scout outings and that is car camping. So I do not haul it very far. I would like something a little lighter for my solo trips.

Aha, I get it. So I guess you mean "3Ps are tanks when carried by 1P." So how about a Zephyr 2?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Mar. 21 2013, 2:01 pm)

(IAJeff @ Mar. 20 2013, 9:39 pm)

Aha, I get it. So I guess you mean "3Ps are tanks when carried by 1P." So how about a Zephyr 2?

Yep,that's it. I am looking to down size for when its just me. Which is most of the time. I was looking at a tarp and bug bivy setup.
 Post Number: 24
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last time I used my Zephyr 2 (I mostly stay in a lean-to) was near Giant Ledge in the Cats in March of last year. It was unseasonably warm, and while there was permafrost, the top three or four inches was mud at the site. And rocks. I dropped my tent on top of the muck, guyed it out and slept dry for two nights. The floors of Alps Mountaineering tents is fine...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
23 replies since Mar. 14 2013, 11:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Alps Mountaineering tents
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions