2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Water questions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 9:00 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a recommendation from the Cabela's salesman I bought a Katydyn water filtration system. He claimed it will give me good water anywhere except down stream from a farm or fertilizer plant. Truth or fiction? Should I still use tablets and/or boil the water? Also, I figure to use a gallon a day on my trips. Other than a camelback, I was figuring on carrying a two liter bottle with me. Am I being over cautious?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He is talking about chemicals and not much takes that out.

http://generalecology.com/category/portable

Those do. I keep one at home for use in emergencies.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are out in the wild then the Katydn system will work fine for you at getting rid of girardia and other microorganisms. You won't need to boil it or use any chemical treatment.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you think of the millions of dollars spent on each municipal water treatment plants, you will know that any handheld filter will have limitations.  So yes, read the instructions of even the best models -- and they will warn you to pick the best water source available -- and avoid water near farms, pastures, factories and mines.

For the typical backcountry water source here, there are five things to be concerned potentially:

1.  viruses
2.  bacteria
3.  protozoa / cysts
4.  sediments and stuff
5.  water taste

Most quality filters will take care of #2-5.  And your Katadyn is a good quality filter that will perform those four functions satisfactorily.

But what about viruses? Very few filters can filter out teeny tiny viruses.  Luckily, viruses that are harmful to us humans are usually found where humans congregate -- not out in the wilds.  So, excepting water at crowded campsites where someone infected had just used (and contaminated) the water right before your use -- viruses are usually NOT a concern.

Finally, if you are concerned about viruses -- say you do a lot of car camping at popular sites -- there are several options:

1.  Return your filter and exchange for First Need Purifier -- sold at REI, online, and other stores.

2.  Supplement the filtering by treating your water with chlorine (such as unscented household bleach) -- 5 drops per liter -- and wait 30 minutes before you drink.  Chlorine will take care of the viruses -- and your filter will deal with all the rest.

3.  Boil your water -- but this one takes time and fuel.  And it's no fun waiting for water to cool on a hot, thirsty summer day.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 16 2013, 1:11 pm)
Finally, if you are concerned about viruses -- say you do a lot of car camping at popular sites -- there are several options:

1.  Return your filter...

2.  Supplement the filtering by treating your water...

3.  Boil your water ...

Or, apparently:

4. Use a UV-C water sterilizer, like a SteriPen?

which looks like it will take care of everything except sediment and taste.

I just bought one because I hated my Katadyn, and it was too much work. I'll be drinking out of high country streams, springs, and snowmelt, so the taste and sediment issues are not important.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The chemical anti-bacterial agents, the boiling and the filter all take care of the verysame things: pathogenic micro-organisms.

What the salesperson was pointing out is the excessive fertilizer and pesticide runoff downstream of various industrial activities is neither removed by a sizing filter like the Katydyn nor neutralized by anti-bacterial chemicals or boiling.

For that you'd need a more specialized water purifier which has the general disadvantage in that as they absorb the contaminants they get saturated and need to be replaced once their removal capacity has been reached at some interval depending on the concentration of contaminants in the water and, of course, the volume run through it.
 Post Number: 7
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should have stated that most of my overnighters will either be the AT or in the PA mountains, away from commercial campgrounds. The big trip is next year in the Rockies.
Thanks for all your replies!
 Post Number: 8
Soapboxpreacher Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 1:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grabbed a sawyer filter and will grab a steripen...i would think i am covered!   I like the sawyer because it is small.   And a steripen adventure opt becuase it works. Or you could do an msr hyderflow and a camelbak all clear bottle.   Filter with one uv kill with the other.
 Post Number: 9
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where he is going there is no need for both. If you filter there is no reason for UV treatment in US waters.

His question was about chemicals from farm run-off and plant discharge.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Soapboxpreacher @ Mar. 17 2013, 10:48 pm)
I grabbed a sawyer filter and will grab a steripen...i would think i am covered!   I like the sawyer because it is small.   And a steripen adventure opt becuase it works. Or you could do an msr hyderflow and a camelbak all clear bottle.   Filter with one uv kill with the other.

If you're combining Steripen with filter, then I recommend that you use the Aquamira Frontier Pro instead of the Sawyer.  The four things that your combo system can do:

1.  Sawyer - clarifies water
2.  Sawyer - blocks protozoa cysts
3.  Sawyer - blocks bacteria
4.  Steripen - treats viruses

The five things that a Steripen/FP combo can do:

1.  FP - clarifies water
2.  FP - improves water taste (with a carbon core)
3.  FP - blocks protzoa cysts
4.  Steripen - treats bacteria
5.  Steripen - treats viruses

Gravity feed filter is great for camp use (esp. group use).  But IMO, it can be suboptimal when treating water in the middle of the day -- esp. if it's raining or skeeters are biting.  FP can be used in gravity mode.  But it can also be used as an inline filter (scoop water, treat with Steripen, resume hike and drink through filter). Finally, FP comes with its own bite valve -- so you can attach directly to a bottle and drink that way too.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 16 2013, 4:55 pm)
Should have stated that most of my overnighters will either be the AT or in the PA mountains, away from commercial campgrounds. The big trip is next year in the Rockies.
Thanks for all your replies!

Your filter will be fine.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 12
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 18 2013, 11:02 am)
The four things that your combo system can do:

1.  FP - clarifies water

I believe SteriPen also claims to destroy Giardia trophozoites and cysts.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 18 2013, 11:21 am)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 18 2013, 11:02 am)
The four things that your combo system can do:

1.  FP - clarifies water

I believe SteriPen also claims to destroy Giardia trophozoites and cysts.

Indeed it does.  But in my illustration of combo uses above -- filtering first and then zapping with UV -- both filters will have blocked off protozoa cysts before UV zapping.

Notice how with the FP -- which has much bigger filter pore size -- it is the Steripen that is relied upon to treat bacteria.

--------------
12 replies since Mar. 16 2013, 9:00 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Water questions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions