2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: REI Dividends are available< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just spend about 3/4 of mine on Werner Camano double blade paddle

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
sarahspins Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rumor is that the 20% coupons will be out on Friday :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just checked my dividends amount - $5.21  :O

Bad news -- not much of a dividend.  :(
Good news -- didn't pay full price on most purchases last year.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

90% of mine was from the REI Visa card. Love getting free money when I spend money. Never carry a CC balance so cost me nothing

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 5
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Mar. 19 2013, 2:24 pm)
90% of mine was from the REI Visa card. Love getting free money when I spend money. Never carry a CC balance so cost me nothing

Ditto.  Most REI items were on sale/garage sale buys so even more of mine comes from other purchases with the card.  CCs have been balance free since '02
 Post Number: 6
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that what you get for the $20 membership, a 20% off coupon?
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 19 2013, 11:44 am)

A couple of times a year, yes, but the real dividend (hehe) of membership is that as a cooperative REI returns a portion of it's revenue back to the members based on the member's purchases. So if there's a 10% excess then they return an amount equal to 10% of the members purchases as a credit, some time later redeemable for cash.

As that $20 is for a lifetime it can be a good deal. I can attest to that :) Member #170xxx

I'd be buying stuff anyways so the dividend is a nice bonus. Infrequently utilize the discount.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Mar. 19 2013, 11:24 am)

THAT makes perfect sense, particularly if you buy a lot of gear. But paying full price to get 10% back after a year, not so much.

The one big exception is when shopping for expensive gear that you can't know whether it will be a perfect match until after you give it a good work out.  Here, REI's 100% satisfaction guarantee can be well worth paying for.  Of course, waiting a bit and buying it on sale at REI is even better.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those of us who can pay off the credit card every month, the REI card offers a good way to get cash.  In July, you can request a check, and not need buy anything at REI with the dividend.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 19 2013, 2:44 pm)

The REI membership I purchased in 1973 has paid itself back a hundred times in rebates and other deals over the years.  Count me a loyal customer of theirs for that and for their absolute no questions asked return policy.  They may be a little more expensive than some outfitters but when you consider the rebates and the service, IMO, they are hard to beat.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 19 2013, 12:42 pm)

The REI membership I purchased in 1973 has paid itself back a hundred times in rebates and other deals over the years.  Count me a loyal customer of theirs for that and for their absolute no questions asked return policy.  They may be a little more expensive than some outfitters but when you consider the rebates and the service, IMO, they are hard to beat.

Now you have me wondering if REI sold anything made in Asia at all back in 1973?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The dividend is a shell game (that I fall for too). When you buy an item full price you think "Yeah, but I'm getting 10% back, so it's like this item is on sale. I'm getting a discount on this full-price purchase." Could induce you to over-spend in the first place. Then, months later when you get the dividend you think "free money" and use it to buy way more than the value of the dividend. So mentally you think you're saving that 10% amount twice when, of course, you only save it once, and then you use that "savings" to justify in your mind spending more than you would have otherwise, on two separate occasions. They make a killing giving away that 10%.

As for the credit card, yes those purchases accrue a value to the dividend as well, but if you had used a different CC it could have paid a higher cash back or "points" reward. I have an REI Visa that I use for shopping at REI, since those get 5% back (and gave a one-time $100 credit when first opened), but it's only 1% back on purchases made other places, and I'd rather use a different CC that pays more than 1% on those, come out ahead that way.

Nonetheless, as I said I have fallen for it too, found myself feeling good about using a $10 dividend on a $200 purchase, a "free" dividend I had already justified in my mind as a "savings" six months prior.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't bother with the REI Visa, since I have a different rewards card that gives me 2% back on all purchases instead of 1%, I just use that one.  I'm allowed to put my rent on it (I pay it off, same as sending a check to the landlord), and the rewards add up pretty quickly.

I bought more at REI garage sales this year than on regular purchases, but still got about $31 on my dividend.  Enough, I suppose. :)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I buy local so when I buy REI it's because of item availability (much improved IIRC from the 60's and 70's). So the dividend is a bonus as I would have taken advantage of their stocking what I want in any event.
 Post Number: 15
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alright I'm confused, is it a 10% or a 20% coupon you get, and good for how long? Looking for a new GPS!
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 19 2013, 2:00 pm)
Alright I'm confused, is it a 10% or a 20% coupon you get, and good for how long? Looking for a new GPS!

The single item discount offer they bring out a few times (3 ?)  a year is for 20% off, the annual dividend they return based on a members previous year's applicable purchases is usually around 10%.

Different things.

The discount is for a set time, maybe a month, off one item, one time; the dividend is redeemable up to the end of the calendar year, for some period only as a rebate on items purchased and after that (June?) you can request cash.
 Post Number: 17
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$76.87

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 18
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$122.01.  Musta bought more than I thought.  Looks like a GoPro and a light down jacket were most of it.  But truthfully don't know what to buy with it.  Is there a way to redeem it for cash?
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Mar. 19 2013, 3:47 pm)
$122.01.  Musta bought more than I thought.

Typical of our society.  But then, how else could our economy have recovered?  Thank you!   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 20
sarahspins Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Mar. 19 2013, 6:47 pm)
Is there a way to redeem it for cash?

Yes you can, but you'll have to wait until July.

I also bought a gopro last year so that makes up a fair amount of my dividend (the prices on the Hero3 were the same everywhere, so I figured why not get $40 back to spend in a store I already frequent too often!).. but what is really crazy is that my non-dividend-able purchases (ineligible because of 20% coupons or clearance items.. one of those larger purchases was a roof box for my car) total more than I spent on stuff I got 10% back on.. guess I've spent too much time trolling those clearance racks :)

My dividend this year is $95.07.. I think I got about $45 back last year.
 Post Number: 21
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Mar. 19 2013, 4:47 pm)
But truthfully don't know what to buy with it.

I can take care of that problem real quick-like. :D

Just thought I'd help.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 19 2013, 5:00 pm)

In the past at least, GPS is another of the categories that the discount cannot be applied to.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 23
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 19 2013, 7:57 pm)

(reubenstump @ Mar. 19 2013, 4:47 pm)
But truthfully don't know what to buy with it.

I can take care of that problem real quick-like. :D

Just thought I'd help.

Size?  Color?  Can't get down for that price.  Maybe some stakes or a pot.  Or a pair of pants.

Oops, never mind.  Thanks for the offer, but I think I solved the problem....   :p
 Post Number: 24
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 19 2013, 2:00 pm)

The 20% off coupon always excludes electronics (GPS), boats, bikes, etc...  They will not be giving the 20% off some big ticket item.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 25
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 19 2013, 1:42 pm)

Jer, you've got me beat... I didn't join until 1975.

Also agree with everything you wrote.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Early on I preferred The SkiHut. I had a membership but not much REI offered tempted me.
 Post Number: 27
hike500 Search for posts by this member.
Desert Dweller

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just research what I want and buy it for as cheap as I can get it, usually Amazon who has a great return policy also. Most stuff I really want REI doesn't' sell it anyway. Cottage gear.

--------------
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
 Post Number: 28
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Mar. 19 2013, 11:24 am)

Same here!
$297.00 dividend
 Post Number: 29
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Mar. 19 2013, 6:17 pm)

(hikerjer @ Mar. 19 2013, 1:42 pm)

Jer, you've got me beat... I didn't join until 1975.

Also agree with everything you wrote.

You've both got me beat.  1982-ish for me.

It's paid for itself many times over since then.
 Post Number: 30
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 5:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Mar. 19 2013, 11:36 am)
Just spend about 3/4 of mine on Werner Camano double blade paddle

That sounds kinky dangerous.  Maybe REI's trying to attract a new demographic.
37 replies since Mar. 19 2013, 11:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply REI Dividends are available
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions