2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's a god knot for..., What's a god knot for...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ecichlid Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 11:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm using a tarp with a ridge line.  What's a good knot for tying a corner loop of the tarp to the ridge line in order to keep the tarp taut? I hope this makes sense. I am not talking about a taut-line hitch to a tree. This is a small piece of rope that ties to the ridge line itself.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 1:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not able to visualize what you're describing. Draw a picture, maybe, photograph it, and post the picture?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 22 2013, 10:07 pm)
I'm not able to visualize what you're describing. Draw a picture, maybe, photograph it, and post the picture?

+1

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 2:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Imagine a taut line running from tree to tree. Then picture a Kelty Noah's tarp hanging on it like a closed shower curtain. I want to keep the "shower curtain" stretched out.

Look at 2:55 of this video. I can't understand the name of the knot he is using. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpagec4fQI
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 2:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes , silly British accents.
They don't talk proper English like...

it's a Prusik knot
http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

BTW, try it first at home with the ropes you intend to use because it does not always grip well with some combinations under load.
(The way it is pronounced in that video is the correct way.
Sort of "prasik" the "a" as in traffic. )
 Post Number: 6
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 7:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i agree, the knot in the video is a prusik.  but for guying out a tarp, i prefer using a trucker's hitch.  i  think it's easier to tighten the tarp with it.

[URL=trucker's hitch]null[/URL]
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the knot slips, you can always just add more revolutions around the rope before cinching it down. Usually adds more grip.
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can do what Cliff Jacobson recommends. You take a short piece of rope and do a becket bend  thru the grommet or tie out loop then take the two free ends and wrap them in  opposite directions around the ridge line and then tie a simple bow. I hope that explains it correctly. Anyway that is how I do it.
 Post Number: 9
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

watch this

and this
These should give you some options. I use a piece of plastic tubing on a prussik.
 Post Number: 10
theron Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you mean what this guy is talking about at 2:22...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

(another prusik knot)
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys are tremendous, thank you. What is the other simple knot tying the loop together here: http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php
 Post Number: 12
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ecichlid @ Mar. 23 2013, 2:16 pm)
You guys are tremendous, thank you. What is the other simple knot tying the loop together here: http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

Looks like a double fisherman's knot. When doing a prusik knot, the prusik always uses a smaller diameter cordage. If the prusik slips with three wraps, use four wraps.
 Post Number: 13
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

looks to me like a triple fisherman's knot, however a double will probably be more than enough for the purpose...
(used for your hammock as in that video clip)
 Post Number: 14
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

A God knot? Hopefully it sticks around a little longer than the Higgs Boson. :p
13 replies since Mar. 22 2013, 11:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's a god knot for...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions