2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Boot Shopping, re3commend some models to try on< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
PlanoDano Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 5:03 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am having to shop for boots sooner than I want too. I cannot get shoes/boots with eva midsoles to last. I have also been reading reviews and have seen that a lot of the boots produced in the last 2 years with pu midsoles glued outers have experienced problems with the outsole separating. Wondering if it is bad glue. I hate to pick up the extra weight and expense but wondering if boots with sewed on outsoles might be more durable.

I am looking for some good boot
PU midsole
wider toe box
narrow to medium heel
no or very little pronation control as I have high arches
need serious volume over the forefoot
would perfer to go without gtx but doubt I will find anything without it.

I would also like to hear resonable opinions about sewn vs glued outsoles

thanks in advance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
civi68 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 6:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out the Asolo FSN 85 at Sierra Trading Post. They aren't gore tex. Sign up for their email flyer and you can get them for 30 to 35% off depending upon the email coupon. I found them to be good boots.
 Post Number: 3
civi68 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 6:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forget to add. They come in wide sizes. Asolo's run a little narrow so I found ordering a half size larger in a wide size the best fit.
 Post Number: 4
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

while any boot can fail, i have very little doubt that most old-school boots, midsole stitched to the upper, are more durable than boots with the midsole glued to the upper.  even on the old-school boots, though, the sole is still glued to the midsole in virtually any boot available today.  

i like limmer boots.  because they are only sold in new hampshire, in their store, fitting and buying is a process.  if you call, they will provide instructions: wearing the socks you would use with the boot, trace the outline of your foot, then measure the circumference of your foot at various places.  i did that and ended up with the correct size (i wear a wide).  i liked their heavy boot, the standard, so much that i bought a pair of their "lightweight" boots a year or two later.  the lightweight uses leather that most would call heavyweight, though.  both pair are now several years old and have worn exceptionally well.  like any boot made of leather that thick, you need to break them in the way everyone used to - work them in gradually, wear them 'around' for a while, use them on day hikes at first.  if you do that, the leather ends up forming to your foot.  i hike a lot, and neither pair has experienced anything but ordinary wear - a lot of scuffs to the leather, basically, and they need to be waterproofed periodically like any all-leather boot.  

the heavy limmer boot doesn't have a polyurethane midsole - more like a very hard rubber.  not a cushioned boot.  then again, the midsole won't suffer from meaningful compressoin, ever.  the lightweight appears to have some polyurethane, but not much, mostly in the heel.  

if i were interested in a boot with a PU insole today, I would probably start with some of the  higher-end Asolo or Lowa boots.  both make some boots with the more robust midsole, tend to make a fairly sturdy/well made product, and are in pretty wide distribution - REI sells both, anyway.  

the first and best advice, though, is to focus on how any boot fits your feet.  go to the store with the socks you would use for hiking, try them on, walk around, use the fake inclines that some stores have to see how they feel walking up and particularly downhill.  do your heels stay seated? do your feet slide forward so your toes  hit the front of the boot? do they feel unduly tight or loose through the ball, instep, heel? these are the questions  you need to answer for yourself.  a brand that I or someone else thinks is great might be a tragically bad fit for you.  take your time and do your best to get it right.  a good pair of boots will last  you a number of  years.
 Post Number: 5
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(PlanoDano @ Mar. 23 2013, 5:03 am)
I am having to shop for boots sooner than I want too. I cannot get shoes/boots with eva midsoles to last. I have also been reading reviews and have seen that a lot of the boots produced in the last 2 years with pu midsoles glued outers have experienced problems with the outsole separating. Wondering if it is bad glue. I hate to pick up the extra weight and expense but wondering if boots with sewed on outsoles might be more durable.

I am looking for some good boot
PU midsole
wider toe box
narrow to medium heel
no or very little pronation control as I have high arches
need serious volume over the forefoot
would perfer to go without gtx but doubt I will find anything without it.

I would also like to hear resonable opinions about sewn vs glued outsoles

thanks in advance

Some very good info from Leadbelly there, and I agree, go in and try stuff on.

That being said - you've given a great list of foot characteristics.

Firstly, while I won't tell you to not try any particular brand, you'll probably not find Asolos a good fit. They tend to be broader in the heel and narrower in the toes - but they definitely vary a lot by model, so it's still worth investigating anyway.

Second, if you don't want GTX, you could try some Mammut models:

http://www.backcountry.com/mammut-pacific-crest-lth-boot-mens

These are on sale now too, and backcountry has a great return policy. The toebox is about medium - not especially wide - but the overall fit is better for a narrower heel. And no GTX. There's less pronation control, though virtually all boots have some built in. If you have high and stiff arches you might find that you need to buy aftermarket insoles with more cushioning.

To clarify - you ask for a wide toe-box, but do you also need a square/round one? Keen boots offer this, though they tend to be a bit wider in the heel. They also don't have any PU midsoles as far as I know.
 Post Number: 6
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like Redwings......I don't think there is a more durable longer lasting, or more comfortable boot made.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 7
DonnaWalken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 4:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You already have your specific preferences listed so all you have to do is go out and see which of those boots out there fit your criteria. While people can suggest brands, you'll still have to check stuff out for yourself. So go and have fun trying out those boots.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keens have a massive toe box, and high arch support, if that helps. No Gore-Tex, but my Klamath are waterproof, tried and true. The lacing system also pulls the back of the boot closer to the back of the heel for a tighter fit. I have a narrower foot, and  they provide ample support. They tend to run a half size small.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 9
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Waterproof Keens have their own proprietary membrane which is indeed completely waterproof but essentially unbreathable - my feet are usually very damp from sweat after wearing them, even in cooler weather.

The Klamanth is a nice boot and does a decent job compared with some others of holding the heel in but it's still a little broader in the heel compared with many other brands. The platform is fairly supportive with good forefoot flex but it still uses an EVA mid-sole which will break down much quicker than a PU one. I'm also not a big fan of the treads, which though made of soft rubber are blocky and grip poorly on smooth wet surfaces.

I concur with going up a half-size.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to the local REI. I tried on the Asolo TPS 520. It felt good at first at first but after walking around I felt the pronation control would be bothersome in the field. I have nerve damage in my right leg giving me a weak right ankle. I will be wearing an ankle brace on that leg but like to be able to go without it if terrain and load permits. I also tried on the Vasque Wasatch which felt mostly good. Both of these boots were GTX and I do not think they had any at my local store with PU midsole without GTX. Looking at reviews across the internet I found both shoes had experienced problems with outsoles coming apart. I looked at the limmer website and was interested. Also thinking about the Danner Mountain Lite II boots on the REI website which I could return to my local store if the fit wasn't right.
 Post Number: 11
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't worry about outsole separation - any boot that sells in large numbers - laike both of these - will have a few cases of it. In any case, REI will exchange or refund them for you if this happens.

The TPS 520 is a pretty pronation control heavy boot, so I can see why that might be a bother. The Wasatch is a bit less mechanical and has a wider toebox with a higher volume fit overall.

Limmer is probably the best you'll get without full on custom made boots (which limmer also does, 2 year wait). If you're serious about good all-leather hiking boots, they're probably your best bet, and will have no pronation control (though an elevated heel as is pretty common). But they are stiff old school boots that require a lot of break in and regular care. Even the "light-weights" are probably stiffer than most other hiking boots, at least at first.

One day I will stop in New Hampshire and get myself a pair of Limmers.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The new boots are in. I settled for Danner Light II in wide.
Danner  Light II. These have GTX which I was trying to avoid but I wanted to buy them with the 20% coupon at REI not to mention the easy return if they did not work out. First fitting they felt great. I was easily able to adjust the laces to lock in my heel and accommodate the high spot above my arch. I was advised to break them in very slowly but was able to do 3 miles the first time out without discomfort. I tend to under pronate and have a very weak right ankle due to nerve damage. Tomorrow comes the real test walking in them with an air cast brace on my right ankle. These boots do not have an insole and feel good without one. The do have a plastic heel inserts. I am thinking of trying a posted heel cup with 4 degrees lateral support on my right boot.
 Post Number: 13
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you end up shopping again...I'm liking the Garmont Zenith Trail shoe, which also comes as a boot or "mid". Enough that I already have another pair in waiting.
Wide toebox with relatively narrow heel. I wear extra-wide or EEE, and going up half a size worked for me, though with some occasional heel slip.
It's Gore-Tex, but has actually proven exceptionally breathable, much more so than Merrell's wide Moab in GTX, and infinitely better than their proprietary "waterproof" version. My midweight merino socks are staying dry a lot of the time when they normally wouldn't, and actually "wearing dry" on the sides and top after being submerged and waded in, which I have not experienced before with any shoe, even with trail runners, and certainly not with other waterproof shoes.
Less durable than a more protective shoe, with the majority of the outer being thin mesh over the liner, but that's probably why they work so well. I've been using pair #1 since late last fall, and so far it's been a worthy compromise.
No comment on how they do with high arches, though, as I use custom orthotics.
 Post Number: 14
C17 Riddler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(civi68 @ Mar. 23 2013, 6:47 am)
Forget to add. They come in wide sizes. Asolo's run a little narrow so I found ordering a half size larger in a wide size the best fit.

Asolos are great boots, but have extremely narrow/pointy toe boxes. Even their wide boots aren't truly wide. They use the same lasts and insoles as the normal boots. The only difference is that the uppers have more material, which will accommodate a higher volume foot. I got this info from an Aslo customer service email.

To the OP: I have a similar foot as you. My current favorite boots are the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. I give them about 9.5/10. Great fit, awesome lacing system, comfortable right out of the box, waterproof, and good grip. Downsides: some minor toe cap de lamination after about 1.5 years (cosmetic). Average breath ability for Goretex. I also wish that the tongue gusset came all the way to the top, but that's just a personal preference.

I tried on a pair of Asolo Restons, and I love the new toe box, but I'm very skeptical of the overall minimalist design.
 Post Number: 15
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm very interested in the new Reston myself, might be the only Asolo I'll ever be able to fit my wide toes into. I am also keen on the more minimalist design, though truthfully they seem more sturdy than my Keen Targhees so not that minimalist.
 Post Number: 16
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trekstas have non gore versions... otherwise I would not be wearing out my third pair of them.

I do not have trouble with them beyond just wearing out a pair every year, but if you're not hiking or backpacking every single weekend, you might find them worth while, especially if you replace the insole early. Like most trail shoes the stock insole is very thin and for me wears out in a few weeks. I stick Superfeet in them.

I've not had issues finding non goretex versions of shoes.... Just shoes that fit my wacky feet.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
15 replies since Mar. 23 2013, 5:03 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Boot Shopping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions