2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Headlamp for game tracking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 11:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am getting a Leashed Tracking Dog License and will be joining Deer Search to use it for tracking injured Deer and Bear.

Because a lot of the tracking occurs at night I'm looking for a more powerful headlamp than my Tikka XP 2.

Has anyone used the Princeton Tec Apex Pro 200 Lumen headlamp?  I specifically want a AA battery headlamp to keep it consistent with my gps.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
NeverLostOftenLate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've wrestled with that same battery issue/desire - and about given up. I don't know the light you ask about but 200 lumens is hardly necessary and will KILL those AA batteries. If that's a 'regulated' light, what happens is that after a short while the batteries will only support a lower level of output, so running the light on lower settings, doesn't do much to save the batteries for later high power use. If you want that much light, a light that runs on C or D cells would run much longer.

Personally, I'd use a wide beam headlamp of adequate moderate brightness for hiking, and have a small bright hand held that easily fit in a pocket for when/if a bright light were necessary. My headlight would be bright enough for safe walking on low/medium power, and I'd have a spare set of fresh batteries in case of the need to run it on bright. Also, I expect you also know that fresh blood usually shows best to an ultra-violet light; I bought mine for about $5. One last comment. On faint tracks, it can help to mark the trail as you go along - scent and blood don't always provide a clear trail to the end point. Being able to see markers you've put out can make all the difference in going back to the last known good spot, or seeing the direction/curve the trail is taking. White tissue paper works well as a disposable marker - red flagging tape tied to spring clothespins or other such device are good re-useable devices. Wounded deer often go to water - it may be a just puddle rather than the water course you expect.
 Post Number: 3
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I were going to be involved in regularly tracking wounded game, I'd look into those headlamps that use a pack- or belt-carried BIG battery. The coon hunters regularly use these, maybe check BassPro or Cabela's?

It doesn't sound like this is an activity you're engaged in on backpacking excursions, so weight shouldn't be too much of a concern.

If you found a lamp whose battery requirements matched your GPS, you'd still probably need two backup sets: one for the GPS and one for the lamp. With only one set, you might yourself without either.

Or, we could send the shooters to school on marksmanship and shot placement.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 4
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If tracking injured animals, an ultraviolet light would help you pick up blood trails.  Wouldn't be safe as a headlamp, however, because you could damage someone's eyes.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Mar. 27 2013, 5:42 pm)
... an ultraviolet light would help you pick up blood trails.

And scorpions.
 Post Number: 6
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Mar. 27 2013, 5:46 pm)

(toesnorth @ Mar. 27 2013, 5:42 pm)
... an ultraviolet light would help you pick up blood trails.

And scorpions.

and some minerals.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't been able to find a combo blue light and head lamp.  I have to keep both hands free for the dog and the gun.
 Post Number: 8
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Mar. 25 2013, 11:40 am)
I am getting a Leashed Tracking Dog License and will be joining Deer Search to use it for tracking injured Deer and Bear.

Because a lot of the tracking occurs at night I'm looking for a more powerful headlamp than my Tikka XP 2.

Has anyone used the Princeton Tec Apex Pro 200 Lumen headlamp?  I specifically want a AA battery headlamp to keep it consistent with my gps.

That's interesting to me...I've raised beagles for a quarter century...finished one second at the national runoff...please, tell me more....what type hound?  Method? etc.....on leash or off leash?

There's a relatively small number of bear hunters around here and I've had the pleasure to attend a few hunts.

Lots more technology involved than I thought.

You may want to get with a local coon hunting club and see what they're using but it's probably not going to be ultra-lite.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 9
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This one uses AAA batteries, but you can't have it all:

http://princetontec.com/eos-tactical

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Mar. 31 2013, 8:25 am)

(nogods @ Mar. 25 2013, 11:40 am)

That's interesting to me...I've raised beagles for a quarter century...finished one second at the national runoff...please, tell me more....what type hound?  Method? etc.....on leash or off leash?

There's a relatively small number of bear hunters around here and I've had the pleasure to attend a few hunts.

Lots more technology involved than I thought.

You may want to get with a local coon hunting club and see what they're using but it's probably not going to be ultra-lite.

The license is from the state of New York for leashed dog tracking, mostly designed to aid hunters who try, but fail, to locate their game.  However, the license can also be used for tracking game in other situations, like a nuisance bear and even escaped farm animals.

The license can be used by itself, but there is a local organization called Deer Search that trains both the licensee and dogs, and coordinates calls between hunters and searchers.

Breeds with tracking bloodlines are favored, especially dachshunds seem to be the favored breed because the program was imported from Europe and that was the favored breed over there. The guys I spoke with said any dog can be trained to track, but not all dogs will be good at it.  Their philosophy is try to train the the dog first, judge it later. The dog has to be willing to stay on an old cold bloodline as opposed to going after hot lines of healthy game.

The Deer Search program requires that the hunter first attempt to locate their harvest themselves.  It is not suppose to be a substitute for hunter tracking.  That is why a lot of the searches occur at night, after a hunter has made a reasonable attempt.  Also, many of the Deer Search members are out hunting during the day and aren't available until later in the afternoon or evening.

Big game hunting is not allowed at night.  Thus, a hunter looking for his harvest after sunset cannot carry a gun or bow.  A licensed leashed dog tracker is allowed to be armed at all times to dispatch the harvest if found alive.
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm on my 2nd one of these. The 1st was the 1st version and lasted several years and I finally broke it but replaced it with the same thing.

My experience with it is that with fresh batteries, although it only claims 100m, I can pick out the guest cabin at a little over 200 yards and animal eyes out to about 250. If I were the type, I could jack a deer at about 75 yards from the amount of light on full power spot. The version I have uses 3 AA and will provide an amazing amount of light for several hours.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 31 2013, 10:25 pm)
I'm on my 2nd one of these. The 1st was the 1st version and lasted several years and I finally broke it but replaced it with the same thing.

My experience with it is that with fresh batteries, although it only claims 100m, I can pick out the guest cabin at a little over 200 yards and animal eyes out to about 250. If I were the type, I could jack a deer at about 75 yards from the amount of light on full power spot. The version I have uses 3 AA and will provide an amazing amount of light for several hours.

It was a toss up between that BD and a Princeton Tec Apex 200 - I went with the Princeton only because I found it for $20 less with prime shipping on Amazon.

The license came today - now all I need is a dog.
11 replies since Mar. 25 2013, 11:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Headlamp for game tracking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions