2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Aquamira® Frontier Pro® Ultralight Water Filter.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 10:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone familiar w/these?

I have a source for them at $12.....might buy one or two for a back up to my Steripen and to throw one in my daypack

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's what I use!

Perfect choice?  No.  A "compromise" choice -- just like all other water treatment options out there.

I like FP because it is just about the lightest and most compact filter out there.  It is also eminently versatile!  You can screw it directly onto a Platypus (or similar) bottle and drink through the integrated bite valve.  Or you can remove the bite valve and use it as an inline filter.  Or simply use it as a gravity filter.

Not only is FP very light and compact -- it incorporates a carbon core -- so it will improve water taste -- unlike Sawyer filters!

So what's not to like?  Well, quality filters have pore sizes between 0.1 - 0.3 microns.  The FP pore size is a whopping 3.0 microns!!  That will block most bacteria and protozoa cysts -- but not the real tiny bacteria and certainly not viruses (if that is a concern).

You can use a filter to screen out the tiniest of stuff -- but it will be big and bulky.

Or you can rely on chemicals (chlorine dioxide) to treat all baddies -- and wait hours.

Or (like me) -- you can combine the two:

1.  Treat with chlorine - wait just 30 minutes -- to kill the tiny stuff (viruses and bacteria) -- then...

2.  Use FP to block the bigger stuff that take too long for chemicals to kill (protozoa cysts).  FP's carbon core will remove all traces of chlorine.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Ben,

Question though. Is it an easy draw?? I had a few Bota bottles years back.  Great idea, bottle and filter in one...except for the fact that your eyeballs would end up sucked into your skull since you had to draw so hard on it.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Mar. 28 2013, 2:09 pm)
Thanks Ben,

Question though. Is it an easy draw?? I had a few Bota bottles years back.  Great idea, bottle and filter in one...except for the fact that your eyeballs would end up sucked into your skull since you had to draw so hard on it.

Definitely easy fodder for the "Out of Context" thread, but a good question.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure why you'd consider it out of context as he stated he uses it screwed into the platy and drinks directly through the filter.  My experience with something similar to that (or somewhat so), was it wasn't worth the trouble to try and drink through the Bota bottle...even if you squeezed it forcibly.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@ wcolucci:

I used it hiking up Mt. Whitney -- twice!  :cool:

Remember, this cheap filter has a filter pore size 10-15 times BIGGER than those in quality MSR and Katadyn filters.  So you can expect an easy suck (DON'T put this on the out-of-context thread).  But remember also -- if you treat your water with chlorine -- you only need this filter to block the big (and hard to kill) stuff -- like protozoa cysts.

So, if you don't mind the 20-30 minute wait time -- the combo method is just about the lightest and most compact "do it all" water treatment system:

o  chlorine - treat viruses
 o  chlorine - kill bacteria
 o  filter - block protozoa cysts
 o  filter - clarify water of sediments, etc.
 o  filter - improve water taste (and remove all chlorine taste)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Mar. 28 2013, 12:09 pm)
Is it an easy draw?? I had a few Bota bottles years back.  Great idea, bottle and filter in one...except for the fact that your eyeballs would end up sucked into your skull since you had to draw so hard on it.

You are supposed to squeeze the bottle at the same time….but you need the hand strength of an orangutan.

I saw one of these for the first time a Bass Pro Shop the other day.  I didn’t pick it up because of my experience with the Bota Bottle….I should have grabbed one anyway just to test…it was only 20 bucks

http://www.basspro.com/LifeStr....0011934

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:26 pm)

(wcolucci @ Mar. 28 2013, 12:09 pm)
Is it an easy draw?? I had a few Bota bottles years back.  Great idea, bottle and filter in one...except for the fact that your eyeballs would end up sucked into your skull since you had to draw so hard on it.

You are supposed to squeeze the bottle at the same time….but you need the hand strength of an orangutan.

I saw one of these for the first time a Bass Pro Shop the other day.  I didn’t pick it up because of my experience with the Bota Bottle….I should have grabbed one anyway just to test…it was only 20 bucks

http://www.basspro.com/LifeStr....0011934

Maybe you drink by tilting your head back, positioning the bottle upside down, then squeeze gently?    :;):

The Lifestraw looks very interesting.  It's got a decent 0.2 micron pore size and it's to filter 264 gallons of water (vs. FP's 50 gal)!  Wonder if this can be used as an inline filter?  A pity (but not a show stopper) that it doesn't have a carbon core to improve water taste...

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

hmmm..I should have used the left hand...but don't take THAT out of context

--------------
8 replies since Mar. 28 2013, 10:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Aquamira® Frontier Pro® Ultralight Water Filter.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions