2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: water purification, kinds of purification?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Rachael Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 2:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

im wondering if it matters which brand of purification tablets i choose.ive read about aquamira,potable aqua, micropur,katadyn and Coleman's potable aqua with PA plus. mainly im wondering if theres one i SHOULDN'T get?  will walmarts Coleman brand work-it does say "Powered by Potable Aqua" on it?  theres no reason i cant consume water treated chemically(iodine) for 10 days correct?
thanks!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd go with one of the chlorine dioxide type tablets or drops as there is less after taste than with  iodine based  ones.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The one and only time i suffered a clinical lab confirmed case of Giardiasis was on a trip where I was using Iodine based water sanitization and to avoid the awful taste I rationalized my not using that method from one water source with a very unfortunate result. Turns out why yes a still locked in winter Tuolumne River can hold transmittable disease.

So my suggestion is get something you'll use. For me that would never be Iodine.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

im not real picky about a funny taste in water-is it thst bad after you addd the second tablet to decrease the iodine taste?  do all the chlorine dioxide tablets take 4 hours to work?  do they all require an opaque container to work properly like the katadyn tablets?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

4 hours is for the most resistant pathogens which aren't a risk everywhere. The other variable is the water temperature as like any chemical reaction the rate of the process is temperature dependent.

The Micropur technology is Silver ion based, that's not the case for the Aquamira which uses reactive Oxygen to attack pathogens. The Aquamira instructions don't mention the opacity of the container that I can find and the recommended times are much shorter than 4 hours, 15 to 30 minutes in one case.

http://www.mcnett.com/Aquamira-Water-Treatment-Drops-P208.aspx

I went back to filters so long so (with Aquamira tablets  as backup) that i can't remember what the dual system for iodine tastes like.
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Iodine and chlorine -- in concentrations that you can still bear to drink -- won't kill certain protozoa cysts (giardia, etc.)!  Chlorine dioxide can -- BUT -- if the water is very cold, chemicals will work only sluggishly -- hence the "up to 4 hours" treatment time.  Not very practical, unless you are treating water overnight.

Another option is to buy a filter/purifier combo -- such as the First Need purifier.  Pumps very fast, and no worries about guessing waiting time for chemicals.  A bit on the heavy and bulky side though.

A third option is to combine chemicals with a simple filter:

1.  Use chlorine - 30 mins waiting time max - to kill the tiny viruses and bacteria.
2.  Then use simple, light and compact filter to clarify water, improve water taste (e.g. any chlorine taste) and trap protozoa cysts (that are hard for chemicals to kill).

This is the method I use.  I like it because (1) it reduces chemicals treatment time and (2) enables me to use a simple filter that weighs only 2oz!  The Aquamira FP filter can be used as an inline filter, gravity filter, or simply screwed onto your water bottle (comes with its own bite valve).

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 1:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My experience with the iodine tablets and second tablet to improve the taste is that the taste is indeed improved, and not bad at all. But I switched to chlorine dioxide because it kills more than iodine does (it kills cysts, I believe, while iodine does not).

---George
 Post Number: 8
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of the tablet/disinfectant type purification I much prefer Chlorine Dioxide to Iodine.  Iodine leaves a horrible taste.  That said, what is your water supply?

I ask because I adjust my water treatment based on the water I will encounter.  Sierra Nevada creeks and lakes...I'll take a Frontier Pro filter with a sleeve of micropur tablets as back up.  Grand Canyon in the spring, I'll bring my MSR filter with a sweetwater glacial silt prefilter.  In AZ where I might be pumping out of cattle tanks, I'll use 2-3 chlorine dioxide tabs per liter and then  after 3-4 hours use the Grand Canyon filter set up (cattle tanks are nasty).

Bottom line, if we know where you are planning to hike, it is easier to provide a recommendation.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

im planning on hiking in Shenendaoh National Park. i do have access to a good water filter but was trying to avoid taking it
 Post Number: 10
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bring along a coffee filter to strain large particles but my strategy is to carry enough water to hike through the day, then purify overnight at camp with chlorine dioxide.    

I do have a Sawyer filter system that works Ok, but prefer not to mess with it during the day.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At 2lbs per quart I'd rather carry a 9 0z filter.
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rachael @ Apr. 02 2013, 10:40 am)
im planning on hiking in Shenendaoh National Park. i do have access to a good water filter but was trying to avoid taking it

Are you not wanting to use the filter because of weight or perceived complexity?

Water here in the mid-Atlantic tends to have lots of particles in it. Nothing that will really hurt you, but I carry a filter simply because I don't like chewing my water.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find it curious that no one has mentioned a UVC water sterilizer. I just bought one recently, and haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it seems promising for water sources without bad taste or a lot of sediment.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the filter is a hiker pro, im familiar with it, have used it on a couple shorter trips. i guess i was trying to carry one less thing and not risk damaging it since its not mine. its not really in my budget to buy one of my own right now. all this being considered i probly end up taking the filter with me
 Post Number: 15
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you're familiar with it, I'd suggest taking the filter. The water will be clear of sediment and the nasties.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 16
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the last 20 years, I've carried the Timberline Eagle water filter... $25, 5 oz., never a problem.

And I've used the Timberline to suck water out of deep cattle hoofprints in the mud at the bottom of the Grand Gulch in Utah. (Not recommended unless you're desperate.)
 Post Number: 17
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Sawyer is hard to beat.  Only weighs a 3 oz.  Guaranteed for a million gallons.  I've got a Katadyn Hiker, but the Sawyer is next for me.
 Post Number: 18
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rachael @ Apr. 02 2013, 10:40 am)

I live just outside Shenandoah, hike there and throughout Va and WV. I've used a Sweetwater filter for years, with chlorine dioxide tablets as a backup.
I've tried other filters, but end up going back to the sweetwater because I have a bladder in my pack with a quick connect fitting on the bite valve. I can disconnect the bite valve, connect the filter and fill the bladder without even taking it out of my pack. More a matter of convenience than anything else.
I see a lot more people with the Sawyer filters, and just saw they have a kit to adapt their bag filter to a bladder hose. That will be my next setup for sure.
17 replies since Mar. 31 2013, 2:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply water purification
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions