2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Some Advice -< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BALM7 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 4:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am looking to get some advice as far as a tent purchase goes. I will be in the bush this spring and summer working 10 days at a time and I am looking for the best tent to keep me comfortable and dry after a longs days work in the bush. I am considering the GoLite Shangri-La 3. The price seems right and from what I have read it  appears that most are happy with it. Can anyone shed some light on me purchasing this tent or recommend something similar or better for under $300.

Any advice would be helpful... Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It depends a lot on the location and conditions you expect.  Can you be more specific than "the bush?"  I'd recommend an entirely different shelter for northern Alaska in Spring than I would for northern Florida in Spring.

I assume from your descriptions that it's base-camping (and hence, weight isn't a major factor)?  And that the tent is just for you?

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 01 2013, 5:02 pm)
It depends a lot on the location and conditions you expect.  Can you be more specific than "the bush?"  I'd recommend an entirely different shelter for northern Alaska in Spring than I would for northern Florida in Spring.

I assume from your descriptions that it's base-camping (and hence, weight isn't a major factor)?  And that the tent is just for you?

Yeah I should have been more specific... I will be working in the Boreal forest of NorthWestern Ontario, Canada. You are correct it will be base-camping and the tent will be for just me.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shangri-La 3 is a good tent.  Those pyramids can take some solid bouts of wind if they're well-staked out and have a solid center pole.  It'll be a palace for just you, but considering you'll be living from it and working for long periods, you'll want that.  Definitely make sure you get the inner floor & nest, and not just the tarp.  I tarp-camp quite a bit, but in your case I assume you just want to be able to stretch out at the end of a long day and not worry about bugs and such.  And it doesn't sound like weight is all that much of an issue for you if this is a work site.

You could get much heavier tents as well, but that's a good lightweight simple design.  And if you ever decide to go backpacking (carrying it in an overnight bag where the weight does matter), it'd be good for that too.

If you'll be using it all Spring/Summer, I recommend getting some kind of a ground cloth too, just to extend the longevity of the thing.  I hardly ever use one on backpacking trips, but again, weight is an issue there.  Just something like a cheap blue poly-tarp or similar would do fine for ya', folding the corners underneath.  It'd help avoid punctures and stuff from underneath the tent over time.

My $.02 anyway, worth everything you paid for it.  You have plenty of options in that budget.  Others can offer alternate suggestions as they like.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd go so far as to suggest the Shangri-La 5. I own that particular shelter and the ability to stand up inside to change clothes and have a bit of area to organize your gear without having to step over things is great. My shelter has seen 100+ mph winds and held up fine. For one more pound, the extra space will seem like heaven. Also, it is easier to setup than the 3 version because of it's shape.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd agree for a base camp situation as described the extra interior volume would be welcome, especially during bug season when there will be an extra long amount of time spent "inside" I would expect.
 Post Number: 7
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are there other camp facilities--like kitchen tents or other group areas available to you, or are you on your own for that?

If you'll be providing your own kitchen, consider a "bughouse" if you can transport the additional weight/bulk to the base camp site.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was considering the 5 but GoLite won't have it in stock until early May and I will need it before that... Unless someone on here knows of a place that has it in stock for the same price?
 Post Number: 9
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BALM7 @ Apr. 01 2013, 6:52 pm)
I was considering the 5 but GoLite won't have it in stock until early May and I will need it before that... Unless someone on here knows of a place that has it in stock for the same price?

I don't see any place except ebay and it doesn't look like it has the nest.
I have both the 3 and the 5 and unless you need that much space, I think the 3 would do fine.  
Just my .02 (which may be worth only .01)

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 10
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you have to pack your tent to the site? Is weight an issue? If not, my favorite 3Ps are:

Mountain Hardwear Corners 3: rugged; lots of headroom; very airy
Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3: simple; very easy entry
Alps Mountaineering Hybrid 3 CE: strong; should hold up to a lot of wind; large sleeping space but less headroom.

All three have great ventilation.

I would also consider the REI Half Dome 4, but it's lower than the 3 listed above. Most 3Ps are going to be 46" tall or less. The Shangrila is 62" tall but the tents listed above have much more headroom.

If you will be driving to the site, a good setup is a 3P or a 4P with a cot. A cot is more comfortable, plus you have storage space under the cot.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weight is not an issue as most areas will be road accessed. I will be on my own as far as Kitchen facilities are concerned... Thanks for all the advice so far, all of this is helping greatly. Keep the advice coming!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BALM7 @ Apr. 01 2013, 5:18 pm)
Weight is not an issue as most areas will be road accessed. I will be on my own as far as Kitchen facilities are concerned... Thanks for all the advice so far, all of this is helping greatly. Keep the advice coming!

If this is the case, I'd recommend taking waterdog's advice and look at a mesh "bug tent" for your kitchen area too.  Doesn't need to be fully enclosed, but something you can set up and string a tarp over in the rain (or a rain-resistant roof) would be nice, and keep curious animals out of your sleeping shelter at night.  (Keep the food stored separate from your tent!)

They make them for car-camping, to put over picnic tables and the like.  I don't have any specific recommendations on that (I don't own one myself), but your Google-fu can probably come up with a couple pretty quickly.

ETA:  Okay, so I googled it.  Something akin to this can be had for cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman....bs_sg_3

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something that comes to mind is that if you use the nest you don't have a vestibule with the SL3 , so you need to take inside your possibly wet and dirty gear.
That also means you get the nest wet if you open the shelter when it rains.
Maybe it can be pulled back to create a vestibule area but I have not seen anyone doing that although several have purchased a solo bug net to use instead.
 Post Number: 14
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, heck, if you can drive in, and you're going to be living in it for months, why not something like this?

I've got one for hunting trips, and other than the obscene weight and bulk, I really love it. Especially with the vestibule.

Cabela's Alakanak.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 15
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha ha! We seem to be heading in the opposite direction from the Shangri-La 3. But since you're driving in, there's no reason to go with a 3P. Honestly, a 3P isn't as big as it sounds. For repeated 10-day trips I would think it would be good to have a roomy tent that you can stand up in, or at least stand up bent over. And definitely I would take a cot to get up off the ground and to have something comfortable to sit on. If you have a bit of money to spend, the best combination is the Camptime Roll-a-Cot and an Exped Synmat, both in the large size.

Back to tents.
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Apr. 01 2013, 5:05 pm)
Well, heck, if you can drive in, and you're going to be living in it for months, why not something like this?

I've got one for hunting trips, and other than the obscene weight and bulk, I really love it. Especially with the vestibule.

Cabela's Alakanak.

The price...

On a side note, Contact Golite directly and explain your situation and timing. They have worked with me in the past to meet deadlines for upcoming trips. If it is in their power, they will probably help you to get the shelter you want.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Apr. 01 2013, 8:05 pm)

Cabela's Alakanak.

If I had the cash! Trying to keep my gear budget as low as possible while still going with quality.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Apr. 01 2013, 9:22 pm)

(waterdog @ Apr. 01 2013, 5:05 pm)

Cabela's Alakanak.

The price...

On a side note, Contact Golite directly and explain your situation and timing. They have worked with me in the past to meet deadlines for upcoming trips. If it is in their power, they will probably help you to get the shelter you want.

I briefly spoke with someone on their Chat service today online. I asked about the possibility for the 5 but was told early May. I will give them a shout tomorrow and explain my situation to see what can be done.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I appreciate all the suggestions... Keep them coming!
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right now the REI Hobitat 6 is on closeout (2011 model) for $261.  10'x8'4" on the rectangular floor, 6' tall inside.  Or the 4-person version for $224.  (Unfortunately the extended vestibule or garage option is a separate add-on though.)

Hobitat 6:

Not a bad deal for a large car-camping tent with decent quality.  At 20 pounds it's not a backpacking tent, but then again that's not really what you need here.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I just thought I'd point it out as an option.

- Mike

ETA: You can peruse a whole range of car-camping tents from vendors like Coleman, Eureka and Cabelas, too.  Unlike the backpacking tents, most car-camping tents offer taller designs with plenty of headroom, etc.  You normally wouldn't see these listed on a Backpacking forum since backpackers tend to go for lighter-weight options, but that's not really a constraint you have to live within unless you specifically want something you can take backpacking too.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 21
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are driving in and want a big livable tent with lots of room all around the walls, look at the REI Basecamp 6. It is not bad price wise (20% off right now for members) and has their guarantee. It is pretty good in high wind (5 pole dome) when all staked out with guylines. I can stand up in mine and I'm 6'1". The walls are almost vertical so you will get all that floor space to use about any way you want.

I agree with the fact that a 3 person tent is not very big. For the two of us I use a four person tent for backpacking and it is not terribly big for two. But I like to sprawl and don't get into the tiny shelters.
 Post Number: 22
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll second all of the above. For a drive-in work basecamp you want a home not a refuge.

I'd go for servicable (Eurka etc.) not something world class built for what you're NOT doing (backpacking).

Oh and you'll want a real table and chair. REI etc. sell foldable ones. A good thing especially if you'll be doing work on a laptop in support of whatever you're doing in the field.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IF you are still interested in a Shangri-la 3, there is one for sale on backpackinglight.com for best offer over $150.
It looks like it comes with everything, including shipping.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....d=75197

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 02 2013, 10:26 am)
Oh and you'll want a real table and chair. REI etc. sell foldable ones. A good thing especially if you'll be doing work on a laptop in support of whatever you're doing in the field.

A good full sized folding chair makes just about anyplace as comfortable as my living room. Very good advice. As for the table, good advice again. I recently got to use my REI Comfort Deluxe Table for two weeks in between backpacking trips while road tripping, car camping and backpacking. It is the one I'll always take now. They have them on sale at half price, probably going to blow them out and now carry them anymore perhaps. It is a very good quick setup and a top of 25"x27", good for two.

Post Number: 25
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK I am bored...
if you intend to get a shelter that can also be used for hiking, maybe this one will do...
it is the Tarptent StratoSpire 2.

This is me (5'8") on a small camping chair with one corner of the mesh inner undone. So all you would need to do when going to sleep is do that corner and the top clip on that side and you are ready. There is a large vestibule on the other side.
Note that I am under the canopy so OK in the rain like that (opened)
You can leave the mat and sleeping bag set up inside the inner.

(I look after TT in Australia)
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But, unless I missed it, the op hasn't mentioned using his choice as a backpacking tent.
I guess that's why we're all over the place.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't mind getting something that in the future could be used for backpacking or canoe trips but my main concern is this work scenario. I have never been a real stickler for weight with any gear I use(more of a traditionalist). I need something that will take a beating keep me dry at the same time practical for a 1 person base camp to return to at the end of my days work.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have also been looking at the Big Agnes Wyoming Trail 2 Camp- thoughts? or comparable's?
 Post Number: 29
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with going bigger and heavier for your application.  I've spent some long stretches (up to a month) working at sites, not camped out, but working 12-18 hours a day using just my own gear much of the time.  A table and chair and some room to spread out makes a big difference.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have lived in bush camps for up to a month at a time but have always had a canvas wall tent with a stove and a separate dining tent... this will be a bit different.
31 replies since Apr. 01 2013, 4:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Some Advice -
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions