2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: sand stakes?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what are some good ones?  i was looking at the msr blizzard, but im open to suggestions.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another option vs the sand stake

http://www.rei.com/product/725165/rei-snow-and-sand-tent-anchors

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah, i saw those, but im just afraid i won't find any rocks on the beach.  that would great for really rocky spots where its hard to get a stake in tho.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Apr. 04 2013, 12:11 pm)

Yeah, the MSR stakes will work up to a point, but if you're in deep, soft stuff, the bags give a lot more performance margin.   I don't often carry those, however. Instead, I tie off on rocks, sticks, or vegetation.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are going to camp on a sandy beach... what about bringing some supermarket plastic bags -- that weigh almost nothing and  take up almost no pack space -- plus extra lengths of guylines (that also weigh very little).

When setting up your tent, fill the bags with sand and use them as "anchors".  Once positioned, you can dig a bit of a hole in the sand to position the "anchors" more securely.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When out canoeing I just use pieces of wood I find. I've also  tried  the following DIY  projects, 3/4 inch dowel rods  6 inches  long with a loop of cord run thru the middle of them  and also paint can or plastic  coffee can lids with a hole in them and a loop of cord run thru it to tie tent line to.  Others on here have also suggested  using regular stuff  sacks with  sand in them.
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 04 2013, 10:43 am)
I don't often carry those, however. Instead, I tie off on rocks, sticks, or vegetation.

That's what I do.  Either tie it to a log or rock, or stick it in the sand and anchor it with logs/rocks on top.  Works in all but the loosest sand.  For really loose/dry sand, really only deadman anchors like the bags are going to do much (and even then, burying one of the rocks or logs, or tying off on the surface and placing other rocks/logs on top, works just as well).

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 04 2013, 12:47 pm)
If you are going to camp on a sandy beach... what about bringing some supermarket plastic bags -- that weigh almost nothing and  take up almost no pack space -- plus extra lengths of guylines (that also weigh very little).

When setting up your tent, fill the bags with sand and use them as "anchors".  Once positioned, you can dig a bit of a hole in the sand to position the "anchors" more securely.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing this. I've tried to deadman the stakes before, but they usually melt out.

I learn something new everyday here :)

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks to all

i think i too will try the sand bag method
8 replies since Apr. 04 2013, 11:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply sand stakes?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions