2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Asolo Boots, Natural Fit< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 1:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone try these yet?

http://www.asolo.com/eng/prod_list.php?area=3

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been eyeing these up - they haven't appeared yet at my local MEC store, but are on the website. I'm hopeful they'll have wide ans square toe-boxes and low toe-to-heel drop. I'm to move into lighter and zero-drop footwear for backpacking but not ready to try it with trail shoes yet. I like the ankle collar to keep out the muck.
 Post Number: 3
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the US site.
http://www.asolo-usa.com/men/hiking-footwear-for-men.html

I haven't tried them. But the Drifters, which I wore last season, is probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zappos has some better pictures:

http://www.zappos.com/asolo-reston-wp

Unfortunately, now I can see that they are still narrowish and pointy toed. Better than other Asolos, but it looks like Asolo continues to think all people have narrow pointy toes. It's strange, they make more models than any other hiking boot manufacturer (some I swear only ever make it on clearance to Sierra Trading Post) but all look mostly the same - pointy toes.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Apr. 09 2013, 7:39 pm)
Unfortunately, now I can see that they are still narrowish and pointy toed. Better than other Asolos, but it looks like Asolo continues to think all people have narrow pointy toes. It's strange, they make more models than any other hiking boot manufacturer (some I swear only ever make it on clearance to Sierra Trading Post) but all look mostly the same - pointy toes.

That's too bad.  And it's also why I've never owned a pair of Asolo boots.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Apr. 09 2013, 6:39 pm)
Zappos has some better pictures:

http://www.zappos.com/asolo-reston-wp

I have a problem with narrow boots from some makers; I have yet to find a pair of Salomon's with enough width in the forefoot for me. I do have apair of Asolo Fugitives in a 12 wide that fit me well.

I'm looking forward to trying on a pair of these new Asolos at my local REI to see how they fit, which may not be as narrow as this brand typically is. If they don't have it in stock I can order it and return it on the spot if they don't fit.

I recently returned a pair of "waterproof" Patagonia AC Drifters that let water in like a sieve, so currently I lack a good pair of lightweight dayhikers.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least it's a good sign that other manufacturers might produce similar class models - hopefully with wider toes!

With the explosion of the minimalist movement there's been a number of shoes that have much wider toe-boxes (though most still a little bit more narrow than I'd prefer). But once you begin to move up to hybrids between wide toed minimalist trail shoes (e.g. merrell barefoot trail glove) and more "classic" narrow toed trail shoes (e.g. Merrell Chameleons), the result is still a more narrow toe-box (e.g. Merrell Mix-master). The Mix-masters are better than many trail shoes for toe room and come in mids as well, but ultimately are still pointy. The Merrell Proteras look a bit better, but I haven't tried them yet.

I just don't get it. Pointy toes make sense for rock climbing (and apparently fashion) but no sense at all for trails. Squishing toes doesn't help, and only decreases stability and cuases foot problems (blisters, morton's neuroma, hammer toes, incorrect gait, etc).

Sorry, ranting again. I see things improving, just slowly.

There seems to be
 Post Number: 8
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Apr. 09 2013, 10:35 pm)
I have a problem with narrow boots from some makers; I have yet to find a pair of Salomon's with enough width in the forefoot for me. I do have apair of Asolo Fugitives in a 12 wide that fit me well.

I'm looking forward to trying on a pair of these new Asolos at my local REI to see how they fit, which may not be as narrow as this brand typically is. If they don't have it in stock I can order it and return it on the spot if they don't fit.

I recently returned a pair of "waterproof" Patagonia AC Drifters that let water in like a sieve, so currently I lack a good pair of lightweight dayhikers.

Please let us know if you do - pics would be great too! :) Good luck.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just found a link to a review of the Creek model, including a video from Asolo in which they specifically state these new boots have a wider area for the metatarsals:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-ne....17.html

"That means a widened area between the toes and the metatarsus and a redesigned sole with perfect anatomical fit"

--------------
 Post Number: 10
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It definitely looks better. Sometimes pictures on Zappos or Amazon tend to make the footwear look narrower. They're still pointier than I really prefer/need, but maybe they might be more forgiving than they look.

I'm a little concerned that the outsole lacks many toothy lugs. Another pet peeve of mine is that lack of tooth on many outsoles. Maybe it's just the muddy ground here, but big, round, or blocky lugs do poorly in sloppy Ontario trails. There are a few teeth on the forefoot so maybe that helps enough. Some reverse teeth on the heel would be nice to help prevent sliding when walking downhill.

If these have good flex in the sole, an upper that doesn't bite into the back of my heel, and a reasonably roomy toebox, I'll definitely give these some consideration.
 Post Number: 11
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All I ever use now are Asolos of one kind or another.  I just got back from a trip with the Fugitives, as below.

These are Fugitives in 10 Wide.  The wide option really helps as our feet splay out over time on the trail, plus when they are frozen solid they are a little bit easier to get on.

Asolo 520 gtx's are also very popular for backpacking and so I took the plunge a couple years ago and like all Asolo boots, at least for me, they are comfy right out of the box and need no break in.  

Problem is, they tend to delaminate for no real reason and I blame it on Asolo quality control---though none of my fabric boots ever did this.  I squirted in some McNetts FreeSole glue and got it fixed but it should not be something I ever need to do especially since the boots were only 3 years old.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 12
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Apr. 09 2013, 1:58 pm)

Just ordered these boots from campmor.com today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttXkLnejFk

Was hard pressed to find my size (8 mens) anywhere.

Listed for $189.99 and got them for $169.98 with free shipping. They should arrive tomorrow and I plan on breaking them in this weekend.

I have owned a pair of Asolo Powermatic GTX 200's since 2007 and love them dearly and they have held up great, although I do maintain them like a mad man with Nik wax.

I will post a review after break in.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 13
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ Apr. 11 2013, 11:55 am)
I will post a review after break in.

Looking forward to it - pics please, preferably some from the top so we can see the toe-box shape.

Tipi Walter -

Width alone isn't the issue - it's toe-box shape. I need a much more squared toebox, and even in the wide sizes asolo boots still have pretty pointy toes. Plus the wide size creates more volume, which isn't good for wide-toed low volume feet.

Merrel has a new light shoe/boot out that looks promising:

http://www.merrell.com/US....a-Sport

It has a nice wide and squared toebox similar to their barefoot series. This is on my to-buy-list.
 Post Number: 14
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish Clark's would get in the hiking boot business.  They have some of the best lasts for my feet of any shoes.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Apr. 09 2013, 10:42 pm)

(Drift Woody @ Apr. 09 2013, 10:35 pm)

Please let us know if you do - pics would be great too! :) Good luck.

Smoky, decided to devote a vid vs. pics; figured multiple angles may help best to judge them.Right out of the box they slipped on like cushy socks. Lightness was the first  notable difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkwvS91lWSw

I strongly suggest preordering a quality pair of inserts to immediate exchange with the worthless supplied ones already in the boot. Just ordered a pair of updated Spenco inserts like the ones that I have used for 4 seasons with the Powermatics;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfP1MlXBfLQ

Word of warning if you buy the boots from Campmore; unlike REI, EMS or Backcountry, if you were to wear these boots just once outside, YOU OWN THEM! Can only return if not used and tags must be still attached. So far I have 3 hours of wearing these boots only on rug and clean floors so I am convinced to commit to the "ownage" of these spectacular boots. Normally I order boots only through the 3 outlets listed in case I do have to return after getting dirty, but none of them had any in stock. That reasoning paid off for me with EMS when I bought Asolo Fugitives in 2007.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Boots-Reviews/Asolo-Fugitive

The heel dug into my ankle after a full day hike in the ADK's. Next day I drove to the EMS headquarters in Burlington, Vermont to trade them in for the Powermatics I still have today. Got full credit back from the still trail muddied Fugitives! :)

Weather and company have kept me indoors but do plan a 4.5 mile walk in the boots today for initial break in hike.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After 3 multi mile hikes I find these boots fantastic; lightweight, super comfortable, breathable and aesthetically pleasing!
Highly recommended! :)

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 17
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the video and comments - good tunes there BTW. ;)

I really like the approach and look, but it does seem to me that the shape of the toe is still probably too pointed for me. I have some serious flipper feet. If they ever come into stock here I'll try them on though.

Thanks again
 Post Number: 18
C17 Riddler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just found a local store that had my size in stock. The toe felt great!!!  Seriously great, and the forefoot flex felt very natural. Boots were also very light weight.  I'm unsure about the heel drop though. It felt awkward. I'm not saying bad or uncomfortable, but definitely different. I run in minimalist shoes (NB Minimus and Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove), so I'm familiar with minimalist footwear. The Asolos did feel better with my green super feet installed. I also wish the tongue gusset was attached all the way to the top of the boot, like some other Asolos.

These are fairly minimalist styled boots. More like a beefy high top shoe instead of boot.
 Post Number: 19
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you know what the drop is on those boots? I'm surprised it feels odd if you're used to the shoes you wear. Maybe it's just because your brain expects more drop with heavier footwear (relatively speaking).

My curiosity is piqued I must say.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(C17 Riddler @ Apr. 29 2013, 8:43 pm)
The Asolos did feel better with my green super feet installed.

Did my first "dirt trail" Adirondack hike with a 20# backpack last Saturday with my new Asolo Reston "natural fit" boots.
The "springyness" compared to my 2007 Asolo GTX Powermatic 200 was incredible! I felt barefoot as I scooted down a very familiar trail that I has been on many times before with the 200's.
I threw out the green feet that I tried way back when and found the Spenco Hikers (http://www.orthoticshop.com/spenco-earthbound-backpacker-insoles.html) worked so much better for me.
Think these new boots will boost my endurance by 20% vs. the Powermatics. Half the weight!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 21
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tipi Walter,
The wife saw me looking at the picture of your Asols 520 boots and asked if those were my feet.  Ha.  I felt like I was looking at my own feet.  I own two pairs of those and love them.  They fit like a glove and the soles have never delaminated.  The top caps get a little loose, but it's no big deal.
 Post Number: 22
C17 Riddler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Apr. 29 2013, 11:11 pm)
Do you know what the drop is on those boots? I'm surprised it feels odd if you're used to the shoes you wear. Maybe it's just because your brain expects more drop with heavier footwear (relatively speaking).

My curiosity is piqued I must say.

I don't know the amount of heel drop. But also keep in mind the fact that I don't really walk around in my running shoes, and my trail gloves do feel a bit strange when I walk around in them. They're great for running though.

Forefoot running tends to make sense to me. But I'm not so sure about having a forefoot strike during a normal walk or hike. That's why I'm curious about hiking in the Restons.

One other thing I noticed about the Asolo Reston - they didn't use gore tex. they're waterproof, but used a non-specific lining. FWIW.

On a side note - have you tried the Zamberlan 230?  Backpacker's review mentions their wide forefoot.
http://www.rei.com/product....ts-mens
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(C17 Riddler @ May 01 2013, 10:03 pm)
One other thing I noticed about the Asolo Reston - they didn't use gore tex. they're waterproof, but used a non-specific lining. FWIW.

Asolo opted to utilize an "in house" produced, proprietary  waterproof textile liner due to weight reduction and price reduction from Gore-Tex liners.
Specification wise (vapor evaporation rate, durability, etc.), it meets or beats Gore-Tex in every measurable category.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 24
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(C17 Riddler @ May 01 2013, 10:03 pm)
I don't know the amount of heel drop. But also keep in mind the fact that I don't really walk around in my running shoes, and my trail gloves do feel a bit strange when I walk around in them. They're great for running though.

Forefoot running tends to make sense to me. But I'm not so sure about having a forefoot strike during a normal walk or hike. That's why I'm curious about hiking in the Restons.

On a side note - have you tried the Zamberlan 230?  Backpacker's review mentions their wide forefoot.
http://www.rei.com/product....ts-mens

I find the trail gloves a little funny to walk in as well, mostly due to the rounded bottom of the heel - great for running, not ideal for walking (but not bad - just funny).

I tend to forefoot/mid-strike when walking/hiking anyway actually. Part of the reason my forefoot gets sore first when hiking long distances - most boots just aren't designed for this.

The Reston was finally in stock at my local outfitter, though not in my size. They look awesome! And the footbed shape is defintiely more rounded, which is a good sign. These are definitely on my list.

I just looked at the Zamberlan Crosser online - hard to find good pictures of them. They look a lot like light-weight traditional hikers to me and one reviewer mentioned higher volume. I suspect they're not really aimed for minimalist hiking so much as just light-weight.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ May 02 2013, 3:06 pm)
The Reston was finally in stock at my local outfitter, though not in my size. They look awesome! And the footbed shape is defintiely more rounded, which is a good sign. These are definitely on my list.

I like this business model with the 76 year old supervisor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BfSqJFpKs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LrJ3laTEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtW_3KL0k-8

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 6:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tried on a pair of Asolo Zion, which are the "heaviest" of the three (Reston & Creek being the other two) but they're still very light boots. My foot is pretty average in terms of width & volume and these were just wide enough, but the volume in the forefoot was inadequate for my left foot. I have a knob of arthritis on top of the knuckle of my big toe (same spot you'd find a bunyon, except on top) so I need a little extra room there. I was wearing thin hiking socks, and with thicker socks and some foot swelling from a long hike I think my right foot would be cramped too.

Aside from the low-volume forefoot these looked & felt like high quality lightweight boots. The cupped heel felt just fine, but it was noticeably lower and I was a bit intrigued by that. I'd like to try it for an extended hike, but I won't be buying these boots.

Since I was at the REI and am still looking for a lightweight pair of waterproof mids I tried on other boots. Compared to the Asolo Zions, the Vasque Scree & Merrell Geomorphs felt a little loose and not as nimble. The Merrell Chameleon lows were on sale for $100 so I tried them on (even though I was looking for mids) but there was some definite heel slippage even after re-tightening.

I also tried on a pair of Asolo Trinity, which are laced all the way to the toe like approach shoes. After loosening all the laces they fit better than the Zions and felt quite good, though a little snug on the volume. I almost pulled the trigger on these, and still might. The 20% off at REI lasts until May 27.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally got a chance to try the Asolo Reston model. I found the forefoot much too tight in my measured size wearing thin socks. Going up a half size felt much better but still a little snug. As usual, it also increased the overall volume of the boot, particularly over the instep and in the heel. I was still able to secure my heel well, preventing any upwards slippage, but felt that once the boot broke in a bit and the materials softened my feet might slide forward a bit on descents.

Overall I really liked the boots and the feel when walking. However I'm disappointed, though but can't say I'm too surprised, that they made such a narrow forefoot and toe area. Asolo in general tends to have the narrowest toes of any boots I've tried with a wider heel. I might be able to make a half size up work but it's still a compromise, and I'm tired of companies not getting it and realising that there are a lot of people that want their toes to spread naturally. Considering that this is supposed ot be a "natural fit", i find it a real misnomer.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ended up getting Treksta Evolution Mid GTX, which I put through the paces in North Carolina in June. They were much more "natural fit" for my feet, and withstood some pretty rugged terrain with a 25-pound pack. No blisters or sore feet, and good traction in a lightweight boot.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2013, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Apr. 10 2013, 7:52 am)
All I ever use now are Asolos of one kind or another.  I just got back from a trip with the Fugitives, as below.

Problem is, they tend to delaminate for no real reason and I blame it on Asolo quality control---though none of my fabric boots ever did this.  I squirted in some McNetts FreeSole glue and got it fixed but it should not be something I ever need to do especially since the boots were only 3 years old.

I had some leather Asolo Powermatics and they delaminated- way too early for my taste.  I went with a couple pairs of Merrell's after that and they were ok.  I went with Selewa more recently and have been very impressed so far.  

Interested to hear how the new Asolo's hold up..

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 30
CampingMaxx Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had one pair of Asolo's and they too delaminated way too early in the game. Very disappointed.

--------------
www.CampingMaxx.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
35 replies since Apr. 09 2013, 1:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Asolo Boots
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions