2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking to buy a stove< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bellabob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm buying my first stove. I made alcohol stoves out of soda cans in the past, but I don't really like them. I want a stove that boils water fast and is lightweight. I'm not really a "gourmet" cooker. I usually just buy dehydrated food and throw it in some boiling water.

I've eyeing the MSR Pocket Rocket or the Mircro Rocket. Remember I basically just need the thing to boil water for coffee/tea and dehydrated food. Will either of these do the job?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

er...
This post...
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1164152
Two posts down from yours at the time of posting.
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure but also check out the Snowpeak Gigapower stove as it has 4 pot supports instead of 3. Check out ebay for stoves like the pocket rocket  and gigapower as they usually go for around $20-25.00.
 Post Number: 4
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done dozens of stoves over the years and I've always gone back to the PR. All I need is a simple, reliable, ultralight blowtorch to boil water as fast as the laws of physics allow...

To save the one ounce for the plastic case, I just roll the PR up in my aluminim foil wind-screen, and stuff it into a Heineken "barrel" can, (one ounce,) which is my only cookpot.

Fast, cheap, and all you ever need to just boil water...
 Post Number: 5
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might also want to check out the Gigapower Lite Max.  Bigger pot supports than the standard Gigapower.  Higher BTU's, too.  Weighs less than 2 ounces.  Just got mine.  Love the size and weight, but I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know there are a lot of good stoves out there but for years I've used the MSR Whisperlite and the MSR Pocket Rocket.  Neither one has ever failed me and I think I"ll stay with them.  JMO, of course.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bellabob @ Apr. 15 2013, 5:58 pm)
I've eyeing the MSR Pocket Rocket or the Mircro Rocket. Remember I basically just need the thing to boil water for coffee/tea and dehydrated food. Will either of these do the job?

Yes, they will.  Either will work, but the MicroRocket is stronger, more compact, and lighter with no loss in pot stability.  I have a very strong preference for the MicroRocket over the older PocketRocket.  I've got a post up on my blog that does some comparison of the two if you're interested:  The MSR MicroRocket.

Someone else mentioned the SnowPeak LiteMax which is also a good stove.  The Kovea Supalite is basically the same stove, but is typically cheaper.  Kovea makes stoves for other companies.  Kovea is the company that actually makes the LiteMax, PocketRocket, and MicroRocket.  

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
graison Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Optimus Crux has been good to me when I've had occasion to use it.
 Post Number: 9
rhodges Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im a water boiler too. I have a reactor and it works great, but if you're a solo hiker it may be overkill for you.
 Post Number: 10
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rhodges @ Apr. 23 2013, 6:07 pm)
Im a water boiler too. I have a reactor and it works great, but if you're a solo hiker it may be overkill for you.

What size Reactor do you have?  I just picked up the new 1.0L version.  It's really pretty nice and highly windproof.

1.7L version,  left.  1.0L version, right.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
Bellabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I decided on the Pocket Rocket, and just received it in the mail. I tested it out and it boiled 2 cups of water in my titanium pot in less than 2 minutes.
 Post Number: 12
BTall Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good choice.  You will be happy with it.
 Post Number: 13
Soapboxpreacher Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like my jetboil. For boiling water it is great!   The indicator cover is nice, light, all in one design, fast and stable.  It is also not a big fuel eater and decent in the wind for the most part.   You cannot simmer with it but as you stated you are merely looking for water boiling.   In my opinion and considering this comes with everything it is a great value and not just for beginners.    My pick and I have a ton of this stuff.
 Post Number: 14
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love my PR. It's my most used stove, but I need to check out the Micro.
13 replies since Apr. 15 2013, 8:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking to buy a stove
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions