2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: No more REI garage sales?, Chicagoland and midwest RI Garage Sales< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cfrun02 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 8:47 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone!
As many of you know, REI has garage sales where they sell returned gear for cheap. It has been almost 5 months and none of the Midwestern (Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St Louis) stores have had a garage sale (the end of last year was the last one). I was just wondering if REI is not having garage sales anymore?
Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Rockville, MD, store had one last month.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 3
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pretty sure all four of the Chicago area stores had used gear sales last month. Oakbrook and Schaumburg each had one I know for sure.

Some time in June will probably be when the next one will be.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Apr. 16 2013, 10:47 am)
I'm pretty sure all four of the Chicago area stores had used gear sales last month. Oakbrook and Schaumburg each had one I know for sure.

Some time in June will probably be when the next one will be.

Are they not showing them on their website anymore? I live about 3 hours from the nearest REI and I check their calendar weekly to see if there is an up in coming sale.
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you sign up on their e-mail notification, they will notify you (at least they do here).

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Apr. 16 2013, 10:58 am)
If you sign up on their e-mail notification, they will notify you (at least they do here).

excellent ! I will do this!
 Post Number: 7
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The REI's I frequent have gone to a 'used gear section' of the store. A continual rack in the back corner, so you never know what you will find and it changes constantly - hourly!
Don't know if other stores are going this route as well.
 Post Number: 8
juliaann Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The online calender is dependent on store staff to update them.  The garage sales aren't done away with but they certainly aren't the same.  Corporate also sometimes mandates company-wide garage sales, so they're still going on.

My advice, pain in the heiney but call the stores once a month.  If you keep bugging them maybe they'll update their website.
 Post Number: 9
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huntington Beach, CA had one this last weekend. I was there briefly for something else and it didn't seem nearly as big as usual.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Chicago ones just had theirs just last month. I remember as I already had plans and could not go to the ones at Schaumburg and the one at Oakbrook Terrace. A lot of the sotres have now gone to just having stuff out for clearance in a section of the store as otherwise it would just be way too much stuff.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 16 2013, 1:30 pm)
The Chicago ones just had theirs just last month. I remember as I already had plans and could not go to the ones at Schaumburg and the one at Oakbrook Terrace. A lot of the sotres have now gone to just having stuff out for clearance in a section of the store as otherwise it would just be way too much stuff.

thanks, i wonder why they do not show it on their calendar anymore. If i would have none, i would have been there!! At least i know they still exist!
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Their email newsletter may be the better source for info.
 Post Number: 13
GaryP4321 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cfrun02 @ Apr. 16 2013, 5:47 am)
Hi everyone!
As many of you know, REI has garage sales where they sell returned gear for cheap. It has been almost 5 months and none of the Midwestern (Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St Louis) stores have had a garage sale (the end of last year was the last one). I was just wondering if REI is not having garage sales anymore?
Thanks!

the fresno CA store had one 3 weeks ago.
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer the ones in warmer weather when they are held outside so there is more room.  I was at the one last summer at the Oakbrook store and it was nice due to the size of the crowd there.
 Post Number: 15
Johris Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Minneapolis (actually Bloomington) REI has their Garage sale items upstairs every day.  No specific times.  What ever they got you can see.  Items change frequently.

I just happen to be lucky enough to work less than a mile away and stop in frequently.

--------------
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost. "
"Little by little, one travels far."

J. R. R. Tolkien
 Post Number: 16
JasonT2000 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like it's expensive to work near the store...
 Post Number: 17
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My closest REI (NC) doesnt' do garage sales anymore. Instead, they simply have a region in the back of the store with the deals stacked up at all times.
 Post Number: 18
icewarrior Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 2:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was at the shaumburg sale a few weeks ago. it was huge.  Didnt find what i wanted but a lot of people got some good deals!
17 replies since Apr. 16 2013, 8:47 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply No more REI garage sales?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions