2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: sawyer squeeze, lets see< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I just got it yesterday. I love my hiker pro though. I got the sawyer
Squeeze setup yesterday because I had nothing else that I need or wanted to buy, so I figured let's see what the rave is all about. I will use it with my soft platys. I am concerned about getting water with this set up though..unless I am near good flowing water source of course. I will take it with me next weekend for a simple over night trip and see what I think. I know I already like the size and weight compared to my hiker pro..time and use will tell.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
writeronthestorm Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently purchased one as well. So far my biggest problem has been filling the bags. In the desert the water sources are shallow and slow running, so its not easy. What I did last weekend was fill the bag with air before submergence. It seemed to help.

--------------
Writer in the Wild... DO IT!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be a problem I am worried about and would not like to have to worry about. Here in NY where I mostly hike, there is usually running water or lakes.  A few times I needed to pump water with my hiker pro from measly murky puddles, and I was so happy to have that with me...where as if I only had this sawyer squeeze thingy...well then I wouled have been in a "squeeze"...not good situation to have been in.  I figure I will carry a survival straw as backup to the sawyer...so if I can't get water to fill a bag, I can at least use the straw to SIP some water to keep me going in an emergency.  Also I will only use the sawyer when I know, for a fact, that I will be passing streams or lakes on my hike

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 4
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To fill a Sawyer squeeze bag from standing, shallow water, use some form of scoop. Several simple and lightweight variations on that idea discussed in this recent thread: http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2321062

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes I read all those posts. I still feel like if I needed to get water from a small murky puddle, the hiker pro is what I want. I've been in that situation before and was glad I had it.  However, I am willing to give the sawyer a chance and I will take it with me on my next overnighter next weekend...though I know I will be crossing flowing water and passing by a lake, so it should work out fine for me.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IT worked beautifully for me this past weekend. I used a wide mouth nalogen soft canteen bottle for scooping the water..from lakes...and the squeeze filter worked great. A little clumsy at first, but after a few refills I got a nice routine down.  I was filling soft platys with clean fresh tasting water in no time.  I love the size and weight of this set up too. My pack weight is at 13 lbs.  before food and water was added.  I think I can get used to useing this sawyer squeeze filter system.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool.  Thanks for the update, I think a lot of us are interested in the squeeze filter.
 Post Number: 8
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why the squeeze instead of the gravity flow filter?  What do you see as the advantage?
 Post Number: 9
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Apr. 30 2013, 11:11 am)
Why the squeeze instead of the gravity flow filter?  What do you see as the advantage?

I need a new filter, and those are the two options I'm looking at, so I'm very interested in that question.

The advantage of the squeeze, presumably, is that it is smaller and lighter, and easily and simply compatible with filling any container. And it's cheaper.

The advantages of the gravity system would be that it's easier to fill from a lake without any supplemental accessory, that the clean reservoir can be used directly as a 3L hydration bladder, and that it's easy to store large amounts of water in camp. (3L of clean and 3 more L in the dirty reservoir.) Where the squeeze might be more ideal for personal use, the gravity system seems particularly apt for groups.

Anyone want to disagree or add additional thoughts?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Apr. 30 2013, 12:11 pm)

honestly? I have no idea. I always used a hiker pro pump. I had nothing left that I needed or really wanted to buy, so I decided to give the sawyer squeeze a try.  I dont know if there are any advantages of 1 over the other. For me, the sawyer squeeze is much lighter and smaller to pack then the hiker pro pump..so that is my advantage. I have never used a gravity flow filter or for that matter actually ever even seen anyone use one..I filled the bag with water, roll/squeeze down and in no time I have my platty bottle filled with clean fresh tasteing water..simple. Roll the small filter up with the bag and away it goes in a small ziplock baggie. Heck, I could even carry it in side pocket of cargo pants/shorts if needed.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like gravity flow filters quite a bit.  They allow you to process big volumes of water at a time, which is handy where sources are not plentiful.
 Post Number: 12
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can easily rig the Sawyer Squeeze to work as a gravity filter, too. All you need is the barbed tube adapter and a couple Platypus or Camelback bladders. It works just like the Gravityworks setup by Platypus.
(http://www.rei.com/product/837889/sawyer-inline-adapter-water-filter-connections)
I haven't used the Squeeze bags at all. For me, using Platy bladders is much more convenient - I can squeeze the water through the system or just hang it from a tree limb to gravity fill.
 Post Number: 13
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Hiker is going to be due for a new filter soon if I keep using it full time so I think I'll get the gravity flow model.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would think the gravity is nice for around camp...but for filling up on the go, passing a stream or lake, I feel like the squeeze, or a pump for that matter, would be more appropriate and time saving. Again, I have never used a gravity system or seen anyone using it, so I can not verify this 100%... It's just me thinking out loud...

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ May 01 2013, 10:24 am)
I would think the gravity is nice for around camp...but for filling up on the go, passing a stream or lake, I feel like the squeeze, or a pump for that matter, would be more appropriate and time saving. Again, I have never used a gravity system or seen anyone using it, so I can not verify this 100%... It's just me thinking out loud...

I picked up 8L at a streamside in about 20 minutes with an MSR Autoflow.  It's a lot faster than most pumps.

Edit:  It can go faster than that, I was just taking my time eating lunch and relaxing, which is a nice break from pumping.
 Post Number: 16
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure why people think gravity filters have to be slow....

Sawyer Squeeze is slower when used in squeeze mode than my gravity filter. Got tired of squeezing, using something else now.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ May 02 2013, 9:26 am)
Not sure why people think gravity filters have to be slow....

Sawyer Squeeze is slower when used in squeeze mode than my gravity filter. Got tired of squeezing, using something else now.

so...do tell..what is something else that u are useing?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a ULA gravity filter (discontinued now) into which I splice a Platypus/MSR gravity filter cartridge, which can be cleaned by backflushing... For trips where water is going to be mud ponds and dicey low elevation sources, I take the Hiker Pro with a bandanna rubber-banded around the pre filter.

The nice thing about gravity filters - pull off the filter, put on a shower head, and every three days you have a lukewarm shower with which to wash your hair. (Guys can stand being nappy-headed longer than I can.)

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Katadyn gravity filter acts pretty much the same as the MSR filter.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ May 02 2013, 11:18 pm)

It's actually pretty much the same filter in a different color...

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ May 03 2013, 10:01 am)

(big_load @ May 02 2013, 11:18 pm)

It's actually pretty much the same filter in a different color...

Yes, I figure they all get the guts from the same source, or from multiple sources working to the same specs.
 Post Number: 22
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(okmtbr @ Apr. 30 2013, 12:55 pm)
You can easily rig the Sawyer Squeeze to work as a gravity filter, too. All you need is the barbed tube adapter and a couple Platypus or Camelback bladders. It works just like the Gravityworks setup by Platypus.
(http://www.rei.com/product/837889/sawyer-inline-adapter-water-filter-connections)
I haven't used the Squeeze bags at all. For me, using Platy bladders is much more convenient - I can squeeze the water through the system or just hang it from a tree limb to gravity fill.

+2 for DIY

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so now yet something new to buy and try....hmmmm..its a viscious cycle..I will have to check it out.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 24
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have both gravity and squeeze sawyer filters. I prefer the squeeze. As mentioned, the squeeze can be set up as a gravity filter but I'm not having any issue with squeezin'
 Post Number: 25
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the gravity setup.  It works well enough, though it takes a moment to set it up and it appears bulkier than the squeeze would be.  Overall I have no real complaints with the gravity though.

I don't use their bladder to drink from, I just drip it straight in to my containers.
 Post Number: 26
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Academy Sports has the Sawyer Squeeze for 34.99 right now. I picked one up as well as an extra 1 liter bag.
 Post Number: 27
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a great deal on the SS.

I love mine, and I use one of the spare bags for "scooping" water when I don't have access to flowing water. I took one of the spare bags and cut the bottom off. Leaving it capped, I fill it and have a store bought "zipper seal" to seal it off then transfer into my larger bag or just filter directly into my bottle. Works for me.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 28
Highwater Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fyi, Sawyer recently upgraded the mylar bags that are included with the Sawyer Squeeze filters. They reinforced the neck to prevent blowouts.

Most leaks in the mylar bags result from clogged filters and people squeezing too hard. Some think they should change the name as people tend to squeeze too hard.

A lot of people have found that newer platypus bottles don't fit tightly when used with the Squeeze. Older ones seem to work fine. A fix for that is a Tornado Tube coupler.

I hope this info helps...

--------------
live modestly and prepare for inclement weather.
My Webpage Highwater Filters
 Post Number: 29
TheRambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 6:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have a bag be it a platy or not that does not fit tightly on the squeeze then simply add a garden hose washer from any hardware store. This fixes the problem easily and cheaply. Also, these washers can be used as a replacement for the white one that comes in the unit.

The sawyer squeeze can also very easily be set up for gravity mode. The sawyer comes with two hose barbs(at least mine did when i bought it 8 months or so ago, purchased from cabelas) then its as simple as attaching the two bags of your choice. You can also set it up as an inline filter.

I really like the squeeze. Light, fairly cheap, easily cleaned, LOOOONG filter life, and very versatile.
28 replies since Apr. 18 2013, 2:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply sawyer squeeze
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions