2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: help picking footwear< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bellabob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 9:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need some new footwear. I have a pait of army issue boots (got them from my friend who is in the army) and went on a 5 day backpacking trip in Big Bend. It was great, but those boots weighed me down, big time. I need something much, much lighter.

I've read many websites and books and watched youtube videos saying that some people just use a regular pair of tennis shoes from wal-mart for their backpacking trips, and they work just fine. I like this, but I think they would get pretty torn up after a while. I've also looked at some midweight to lightweight hiking boots, and they're pretty expensive.

I'm seriously leaning towards the tennis shoes, but I want to know if they really work. Obviously for winter backpacking I would use insulated boots, but with spring here and summer coming up, maybe the tennis shoes aren't a bad choice? Has anyone here ever used tennis shows on a trip? How did they hold up?

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bellabob @ Apr. 18 2013, 9:50 pm)
. I've also looked at some midweight to lightweight hiking boots, and they're pretty expensive.

I'd say if there is one place you don't want to skip on equipment (actually, there are a lot of places) it would be footwear. Buy the best you can afford but make sure it fits right. Even the best boot is worthless if it doesn't fit.

As for what type, I wouldn't recommend tennis shoes although I'm sure lots of folks use them with no problem whatsoever. Much depends on your weight, the weight you're carrying and the terrain your hiking in. Many folks find a leather/fabric hiking shoe a good compromise between a regular hiking boot and an extremely lightweight shoe such as a tennis shoe.

JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depends on pack-weight carried, terrain traveled, miles per day...individual preference.

PCT hikers - trails, high miles, and small packs - usually wear Trail Runners - tennis shoes specifically designed (read cost extra) for such manly endeavors. Many choices, most of the good ones costing ~$150. When carrying under 30 pounds and on trail - these do work well. Is this what you alluded to?

Some carry more weight and/or do X-country. Here the extra support (a higher boot) may help prevent rolled ankles, thus lightweight boots preferred...$150 +.
IMHO, The costs are actually comparable.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 4
Bellabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ Apr. 18 2013, 10:11 pm)
Depends on pack-weight carried, terrain traveled, miles per day...individual preference.

PCT hikers - trails, high miles, and small packs - usually wear Trail Runners - tennis shoes specifically designed (read cost extra) for such manly endeavors. Many choices, most of the good ones costing ~$150. When carrying under 30 pounds and on trail - these do work well. Is this what you alluded to?

Some carry more weight and/or do X-country. Here the extra support (a higher boot) may help prevent rolled ankles, thus lightweight boots preferred...$150 +.
IMHO, The costs are actually comparable.

My pack generally weighs between 25-35 pounds. I'm not going anywhere to rugged anytime soon. I'm talking places in the Texas Hill country, Lost Maples, a couple places in Arkansas, nothing too bad. I don't think the terrain I usually backpack in would tear them up too bad. Plus I'm not doing long treks or anything. A week maximum on the trail.
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i've toyed around with several lighter weight shoe options but always come back to boots. but where i backpack rough and rocky trails and countless creek crossings and puddle jumps are the norm. im my experience tennis shoes just ain't comfy on rocky terrain and in trail runners i'm constantly twinkle-toeing to get keep from getting wet feet ... PITA.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bellabob @ Apr. 18 2013, 10:21 pm)
My pack generally weighs between 25-35 pounds. I'm not going anywhere to rugged anytime soon.

For me, in that kind of terrainand  with that kind of load, I'd go with trail shoes.  But that's just me.  Like has been mentioned, it's an individual preference.  No right or wrong. Whatever works for you.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
rhodges Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the ankle support of boots. I have the vasque breeze gtx and love them, pretty light weight too.
 Post Number: 8
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 18 2013, 10:08 pm)
I'd say if there is one place you don't want to skip on equipment (actually, there are a lot of places) it would be footwear. Buy the best you can afford but make sure it fits right. Even the best boot is worthless if it doesn't fit.

As for what type, I wouldn't recommend tennis shoes although I'm sure lots of folks use them with no problem whatsoever. Much depends on your weight, the weight you're carrying and the terrain your hiking in. Many folks find a leather/fabric hiking shoe a good compromise between a regular hiking boot and an extremely lightweight shoe such as a tennis shoe.

JMO.

+1

Jer nails it. I'd suggest going to a brick and mortar store and trying a bunch of different stuff on to see what works for you. Maybe you won't pick anything up. But you'll eventually try something that just feels right.

Good luck
 Post Number: 9
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 6:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want to wear tennies I say go ahead. If they don't work out you will have learned something new and can move on to something that may work better.
Whatever works for you...

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
8 replies since Apr. 18 2013, 9:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply help picking footwear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions