2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: That one piece of gear., Your favorite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dynteryx Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 10:11 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those who have "been there, done that". found things that work and those things that don't. Tell us about one thing that you have that has made your backpacking experience easier or added pleasure and comfort to them.

I am an off-trail backpacker and one who uses trekking poles. One problem I have always had is trying to hold and use a compass while bushwhacking.

My purchase of a Moscow thumb compass eliminated that problem completely and has made wilderness navigation much more comfortable for me.

Tell me one thing that you found made your backpacking experience better.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a tough one. So many thinkgs I decided I could live without, and then rediscovered.
 Post Number: 3
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A comfortable seat. Very heavy but worth it for the comfort. In the middle of the day when I stop to rest I open it full length and use it as mattress for a nap. Campfire seat. Place it under my sleeping pad to raise the head.
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would have to say either my trekking poles or my Thermarest  chair. The chair is really nice after a long day on the trail in front of the campfire or just staring up at the stars in.
 Post Number: 5
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pee bottle.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pee bottle and trekking poles are at the top of the list, but for me I think it's a very lightweight EMS wind jacket, which was on sale years ago and I bought on a whim, that packs down to nothing.  I find it perfect for cutting the wind on that blustery but not especially cold day or on that high ridge as you come out of the shelter of the trees.  Not much to it, but it does the job. I hardly ever go on a hike without it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right now my favorite piece of gear is my newest piece of gear -- a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. After decades of backpacking with a tent I finally made the switch to hanging, and my biggest regret is not doing it sooner.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 8
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Granite Gear Packs.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 9
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tie between my ULA Circuit and Feathered Friends sleeping bag (Grouse).

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 10
hummm Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to go with my Clark Hammock.  Boy, do I sleep good in that thing.
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The hammock I use for taking naps on day hikes.
 Post Number: 12
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Osprey's Exos series packs with ventilated backs.
I was dubious about packs with suspended mesh backpanels, but a couple of years ago decided enough was enough after hiking in a short sleeve t-shirt with sweat pouring down my back and between my butt cheeks in February. It's warm here most of the year, and the ventilation has made a huge difference in my comfort.
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 21 2013, 12:47 pm)
The hammock I use for taking naps on day hikes.

Now there is man who thinks and plans. :)

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Berkey Sport Water bottle.
I carry that thing with me every where.
 Post Number: 15
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Chair Kit, followed by a Platypus 1L filled with nice wine... And my wife.

As long as she has her own chair kit and another Platy full of nice wine........

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No one favorite piece of gear anymore. I have too many favorites.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never would have said trekking poles but the more I think about it.....at my age.....

trekking poles.

W/the ITB in my right leg flaring up I do not think I could go down a long hill anymore w/a pack without them.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 18
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Moment is my favorite. Solid, light, and well built.
 Post Number: 19
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It can change depending on season, location, weather and activity. The one item that I always carry regardless of situation is my Suunto Vector. The features I use the most are  the watch and altimeter. It always me to hit targets in distance traveled per hour, vertical feet per hour and inconjunction with a topo map and altimeter, location. After much thought and dileberation this is "That one piece of gear."
 Post Number: 20
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ive used the same primus stove since 1996, over 1000 backcountry nights.  Its still kicking too.

Also, gregory packs, and western mountaineering sleeping bags.  Everybody is different, but these 2 brands hit my comfort zone with everything they make

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 21
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A $4.00 Instaflator.  So simple, so light, and so effective.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 22
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sea to Summit folding bucket and Icebreaker wool t-shirts. Couldn't get down to one.
 Post Number: 23
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My shoes...my feet feel great during a long hike

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
22 replies since Apr. 20 2013, 10:11 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply That one piece of gear.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions