2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Contact lens< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 3:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you were your contact lens' when backpacking or switch to glasses? I'd have to take them out each night (and put them in in the morning).
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been taking them out and putting them in the next morning for years and years and years in the backcountry. But did you have a more precise question?

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 3
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear contacts most of the time but when backpacking I wear glasses.
I'm pretty much blind without corrective lenses so I need something I can use quickly if I need to during the night (or to find a good spot to pee that isn't on someone's tent, or boots, or ...................).
I don't want to mess with both glasses and contacts, too much weight and hassle.
It is also hard to keep my hands clean enough for handling contacts.  I use hand sanitizer but YOW, that hurts in the eyes!

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Antibacterial baby wipes are the only way to go, along with trimmed fingernails. Hand Sanitizer is EVIL for the eyes. With this combination I can make contacts work in any environment, and do afford myself the luxury of bringing glasses along for nighttime. The luxury of better vision and wearing sunglasses in the daytime is well worth all of the effort.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for your responses, answers my question. Probably stick with contacts.
 Post Number: 6
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did wear my hard contacts when I used to need them.  4 years deep into lasik.  I got so good at finding them in the dirt I started to find other's lost lenses around camps.  Its amazing how those things pop out of the dirt once you are used to looking for your own.  I have even found a few that weren't mine deep into some caves.
 Post Number: 7
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i wear the disposable contacts and just leave them in.  I bring a bit of no rub solution just and case just in case i need to remove them (only once in 15 years) and a spare (I am lucky that I wear the same correction in both eyes).  

If on a long trip I include replacements in my resupplies.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(steve t @ Apr. 24 2013, 12:29 am)
If on a long trip I include replacements in my resupplies.

Do you mean a trip longer  than 15 years?  :laugh:   (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)
 Post Number: 9
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I gave up on contacts years ago for all activities except snorkeling.  I prefer the added protection, better comfort and fewer hassles of eyeglasses.  I've never had an eye infection wearing glasses, but I have with contacts.
 Post Number: 10
BTall Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, my contacts come with me on backpacking trips, but I also bring a pair of glasses in a microfiber sleeve in case I need to take them out.  I have contacts that I can sleep in comfortably for a night or two, so I leave them in unless it's allergy season and my eyes are itchy.
 Post Number: 11
sambisu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear acuvue oasys lenses and just leave them in for the duration of the trip usually.  I have worn them 7 days continuously without much issue (sometimes a little eye gunk in the morning).  I do bring extra contacts and a pair of glasses though too just in case.  I am pretty much blind without contacts/glasses.
 Post Number: 12
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Apr. 24 2013, 1:21 am)
I gave up on contacts years ago for all activities except snorkeling.  I prefer the added protection, better comfort and fewer hassles of eyeglasses.  I've never had an eye infection wearing glasses, but I have with contacts.

Same here.  Especially since I started needing reading glasses while I wore my contacts.  If I'm going to have to wear glasses to read, I might as well progressive lenses all the time.  Plus, I can wear them in dusty environments, while cycling, etc.
 Post Number: 13
Memphistiger02 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have always taken mine out and put them in the next morning, but this year I got brave and had lasik. So far I love it.
 Post Number: 14
BTall Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lasik?  That's a pretty extreme way to save a little weight in your pack.  ;)
 Post Number: 15
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning to get some extended wear for my AT trip next month. People who can simply get out of bed and see are really lucky.
 Post Number: 16
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm struggling with similar questions myself. I used to wear contacts but its been 10 years. It was always just such a hassle and my eyes seemed to always need drops.

Lately there is a pair of Oakleys I really like, with interchangable lenses, but would cost a fortune to get all the lenses in Rx, so I thought of going back to contacts and just get the Oakley with plano lenses. So far the test pair of contacts and I are not working out. But my allergies are also starting to kick in, so that might be part of the discomfort, but something I'll probably have to deal with every spring.

I really dont want to mess with taking them in and out on the trail, I pretty much need a mirror to do that, and I know on the trail I dont put much effort into having clean hands. But I guess the ones I got to sample can be left in for like a month? If I could leave em in the whole time would get around most of my concern, but I just have to get ones that dont bother my eyes.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 17
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear contact lenses, and for the most part always wear them in the backcounty.  Lately Ive been taking them out at night (and wearing a pair of glasses I bring with me) to try out, and I seem to like it.  However, I wont do this in grizz country, nor will i do it in the winter when things get too cold

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
16 replies since Apr. 21 2013, 3:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Contact lens
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions