2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gear List, 3 Day above 30*F< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 8:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never posted a gear list so I figured it's about time. This is my list for a late June, three day Pemi Loop in NH.  I have a few things here I plan to change out, but I might  as well get some ideas from the pro's :)
Suggestions for less weight or things I'm forgetting?
Weight in ounces.

Shelter
TT Moment- 34
Pack
Deuter 65+10- 65
Sleep system
Marmot Pinnacle w/ stuff sack- 42.9
X-Lite Large- 15.4
Pillow- 2
Cooking/ H20
Bic Lighter- 0.4
LMF Spork - 0.4
Fuel- 13
LiteMax stove- 1.9
Evernew .9 Ti Pot with Lid- 4.7
Sawyer Inline Filter- 3
Patypus Big Zip 3L- 5.8
D&D Coffee Cup- 2
Gatorade Bottle- 2
Food- 100
Water- 60
Hygiene
Small Towel- 1
Wipes/TP- 5
Tooth Brush/Paste- 1
Purell- 2
Miscellaneous
Pathfinder Watch- 2.1
Tactikka Plus Head Lamp- 2.7
LED backup- 0.2
Bug Spray- 0.8
Paracord 50'- 2.6
Mini Carabiner- 0.5
Spyderco- 2.5
Cell Phone - 6.7
Sunglasses- 0.7
Sunblock-1
Extra Batteries- 1.2
Mini Bic- 0.4
PJ Balls x6- 0.5
Fox Micro Whistle- 0.2
Duct Tape- 0.5
First aid in Ziploc- 2.4
Benadryl x6
Motrin x12
Prilosec x3
Ammodium x3
Gauze 4x4 x2
Butterfly Closure x6
Triple Abx Oint
Hydrocortisone oint
Cling Wrap
Clothes
Wool Socks x2- 2.5 worn- 2.5
Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners- 23.8
Underwear x2- 2 worn 2
EMS Profile Zip Offs- worn 13.6
wool or Syn T Shirt x2- 5 worn- 5
Powerstretch Fleece- 12.2
Hat- 2
Ultra Sil Stuff Sack- 1
Rain Shell- 12.2
Total- 420.6
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Other than maybe changing out down for wool on the upper body insulation and dropping a pair of underwear if you dare...I'd say I couldn't find much I would change at all.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your pack and bag are clearly the outliers in this mostly lightweight gear. Those would be expensive to replace though.

Is this 3-day trip for a group? 13 oz of fuel and 3L bladder seems excessive. Same with the food - over 2 lbs/day. Do you really need to carry 2L of water between sources?

Seem to be missing map & compass (I'd never trust electronics).

Pretty good overall though.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent points. Yes I forgot to add in map and compass! Thanks for catching that.
Fuel- I pulled the wrong weight off my spreadsheet. That's for a large canister. The small is 6.7oz which is all I should need for that trip.
Water- was just an average, there are about a million stream crossings so I will probably carry less until final fill prior to camp.
Food- I always seem to be heavy with. I should do some research here and come up with a better method.
 Post Number: 5
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pack liner or cover?
 Post Number: 6
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First Aid kit is lacking.  Smaller pack?  Seems like 3 sm Platy's weigh less than Big Zip.  Why cell phone?  I usually figure 1.2 lbs food, snacks per day.  Use clothes for pillow.  Not bad tho.
 Post Number: 7
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FA/repair kit is very similar to mine. May add a needle and dental floss for rip repairs.

I also avg 1.2 lbs/day but most people are closer to 1.4-1.5 lbs/day. That's assuming repackaged and mostly dehydrated (I have foil packets of tuna/salmon as my only non-dry items).
 Post Number: 8
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it looks good.

A few things *I* would think about which mostly fall in the "my personal preference" category:

For the Whites with stream crossings, especially if I'm solo, I'd probably have a change of clothes in case one set gets wet.  You have multiple tops but it looks like only one bottom.  I'd have baselayer bottoms in my pack.

Food seems heavy but, for a short trip, if you want to "splurge" with fresh foods, I can understand that.  On 2-4 day hikes, I'll pack in a steak for the first night, fresh fruit, a sandwich, etc.

Do you use your cell phone as a multi-purpose gadget, i.e. camera, reading book, GPS?  If I'm taking a cell phone on a solo hike as part of my "emergency" kit, I'm wary about using it for entertainment if there's a risk that batteries will run out, etc.  But that's just me.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Deuter 65+10- 65 - seems like overkill
Marmot Pinnacle w/ stuff sack- 42.9 - would be overkill for me, but people vary on this
Patypus Big Zip 3L- 5.8 - Do you really need this at all?
Food- 100 - sounds a little high
Water- 60 - sounds like a lot!
Tactikka Plus Head Lamp- 2.7 - personally I skip this and just use a 0.2 ounce light I wear on a chain around my neck, but I am weird that way.
Spyderco- 2.5 - could do without or carry lighter one
Extra Batteries- 1.2 - on a three day hike?  Again I am weird, but I have used my Pico light at least 50 nights and have not replaced the battery yet.  I do tend to use it infrequently and for 5-15 seconds at a time.
 Post Number: 10
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very good list.  You seem like a very seasoned backpacker. Where do you like to hike?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pack- I would love to change this. I have had my eyes on a ula pack for while. I think I finally have my weight down enough. It's possible I may have one by June.
Sleeping bag- this will be too hot unless its very cold at night, but its what i have currently. Thinking about getting a quilt. Not sure what temp rating to go with for that. Suggestions?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@paula- I live on cape cod so most of my hiking is in northeast. Occasionally I make it down to PA.
Not that seasoned actually, just started about 4 years ago :)
 Post Number: 13
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is beautiful country you live in. If you get an ULA, a quilt would be a perfect match.  What type of pad do you plan to use?
 Post Number: 14
BTall Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Others have covered the backpack and the sleeping bag.  Since you already have a 15 degree bag, I'd look at a 40 degree bag or quilt for warmer weather.

The fuel jumped out at me.  That is indeed a lot for a 3-day trip.  I'd also recommend swapping out the paracord for something lighter depending on what you are planning on using it for.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pad is a neo x lite.

Yes I use my phone as a camera, but sparingly to save battery power.

I'll keep eye out for a good deal on a quilt.

I use the cord for hanging food and whatever else I might need it for. I have some Kelty trip tease that is lighter. But I find it cuts into the trees too much when trying to hang it.
 Post Number: 16
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is my friends list for the upcoming weekend.

he is 72 and quite frankly I am surprised by how light it really is.  This is actual..and he has jettisoned a bunch of stuff.......you'll love this

I did a cut and paste...hopefully it is legible.

He fell in love w/the ax at our last outing in the early winter a hunter had it....I've already told him no...he is still taking it.

Sleeping bag is a semi rectangular...old TNF I think...probably another 4 lbs

He just bought a big comfy Gregory pack...uses a Clarks Jungle hammock and loves little cool devices.

He typically carries his Knook and cell phone to for nav uses

The fire starters always crack me up...he hands me two to take in every trip...I must have thirty at home.

72 years old...and we are going to do another 20+ mile weekend this summer, (the list will have more for that)

Ounces Lbs.
Axe 58.0 3.63
Backpack cover 6.0 0.38
Backpack, empty 83.2 5.20
Butt Wipes 6.5 0.41
Camp Light, Lantern w/o batteries 3.5 0.22
Crocs 22.0 1.38
Down Jacket 20.7 1.29
Eating utensils, plastic 2.6 0.16
Fire Starters (2) 13.9 0.87
First Aid 7.0 0.44
Gerber pocket knife 2.6 0.16
Gloves, cold 3.1 0.19
Gloves, rain 1.2 0.08
Gloves, work 4.7 0.29
Hammock 46.3 2.89
Hammock Fly & Accessories 19.1 1.19
Headlamp w/o batteries 7.4 0.46
Hydration bag, full 59.3 3.71
Large Saw 17.0 1.06
Mug, metal 3.6 0.23
Paracord 3.4 0.21
Pistol w/Ammo 47.8 2.99
Plates, folding 8.2 0.51
Platypus, filter 11.6 0.73
Rain Jacket 11.9 0.74
Rain pants 7.8 0.49
Saw, folding 5.5 0.34
Silks, underwear 16.2 1.01
Sleeping Bag
Sleeping Pad 46.2 2.89
Socks 3.5 0.22
Spares: laces, lighters, batteries, etc. 8.0 0.50
Tissues 1.4 0.09
Toiletries 8.6 0.54
Vaseline & Pills 2.0 0.13
Water jug, plastic 4.2 0.26
Wool Cap 2.3 0.14
Zip Locks, empty 3.2 0.20

579.5 36.02

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 17
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 4x4s and 6 butterfly bandaids won't cover much............... just saying.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Apr. 25 2013, 4:17 pm)
2 4x4s and 6 butterfly bandaids won't cover much............... just saying.

No I wouldn't expect it to. That's what duct tape and spare clothes are for.
You have to carry what makes you feel comfortable. Some people like to carry lots of first aid. I don't plan to do surgery in the woods. Nothing I would reasonably carry will help in really extreme circumstances. I rely more on using what I have. I mostly hike with another person, I leave a detailed plan with folks at home in the event I don't come back.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@wcolucci- that is actually surprising how light it is considering how much is there!
 Post Number: 20
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry two butterfly bandaids...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
19 replies since Apr. 23 2013, 8:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gear List
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions