2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Picture of how you store/ organize your gear< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 7:57 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm struggling on how to best store/ organize my gear. I have a fair amount of gear, ie, three packs, four bags, three tents, and a bunch of all the other backpacking stuff. Right now, everything is pretty much in a pile in my garage. Can you show me how you keep everything organized? I was thinking of building a plywood storage rack with some poles on the end for hanging my bags.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a large two door metal cabinet with shelves in it that I store all of my food, and small gear in. I store all of that stuff in small tubs and have it all divided up as to condiments, dinner entrees, lunch entrees, drink mixes and energy bars, stoves, fuel, kitchenware, essentials.My tarps and tents also are stored in the cabinet.  Also I have one of those plastic storage drawer systems that I combined two of. In those drawers I store all of my hats, gloves, down booties, balaclavas, microspikes, head nets, buffs. Then my packs are stored in a large rubbermaid tub, Also all 6 of my sleeping bags are stored in their storage bags and then stored 2 each standing up in rubbermaid  tubs  with the lids off. My trekking poles I store in an old collapsible chair bag. My sleeping pads are stored in a closet. All of my canoeing gear in stored in another large rubbermaid tub. My day packs and Camelbacks are hung on pegboard along with my snowshoes.

I suggest you get some small tubs to store all of your small items in. I use two sizes the ones that adre shoebox size and the ones that are the size of a winter boot box. They work great for food and other gear.
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have three large plastic tubs used for storing gear. They are the big grey type with rollers on one end. They're labeled Current, Spare and Car Camping. I could post a picture, but it wouldn't much more than the three bins stacked.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Along these lines,  how do you guys store your maps.  I haven't really figured out an efficient way yet.  I seem to have so many that I can never easily find the ones I need and they're usually folded or crumpled up and take a lot of space.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a large closet in my home office that is used for my hiking/shooting/office supply stuff.
It works great as it is a very large walk in type closet.
I store my maps in a large 3 ring binder for small maps and a shoe box for others.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Laundry baskets and the large plain cotton storage bags for my sleeping bags.

Maps in a hanging folder bin.
 Post Number: 7
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 24 2013, 11:07 am)
Along these lines,  how do you guys store your maps.  I haven't really figured out an efficient way yet.  I seem to have so many that I can never easily find the ones I need and they're usually folded or crumpled up and take a lot of space.

Thanks.

I store all of my Maps in folders with the two pockets two them. The folders are color coded by state by College Team colors. For example Wisconsin is red for the Badgers, Iowa is black for the Hawkeyes, etc, All of the folders are stored in those plastic  magazine files and are on shelf.
My wife has all of our recipes organized by color also. She marks with a highlighter on each recipe so it's catagorized as either Breakfast -yellow, Lunch is green,Dinner is blue and soups and deserts are orange.
 Post Number: 8
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most everything is in my bedroom closet. Several tubs stacked, one each for clothes, kitchen, water stuff, books & maps, general equip, and food. Bag, tent, pad and poles go on the top shelf. Packs have a place stacked on the floor. Essential items that I will take on any trip are in a stuff sack that I store in my main pack, that stuff gets transferred to whatever pack I'll use.

Maps I organize by broad geography and put them into large manila envelopes labeled "Georgia", "NC/TN", "West", etc. Those then go into the book tub.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 9
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before I had dedicated space I used laundry baskets and stacking plastic boxes to fit whatever space was available.  For years I kept tents, sleeping bags and pads tightly stuffed and rolled to save room in my 620 sq.ft. home.  It didn't seem to harm them.  

These days my two most important requirements of storage are to keep my gear in good shape and to be able to find items when I need them.  I'm not currently earning bonus points for neatness, but most of my stuff is in the man cave.  I do pretty well; it's a work in progress and I have to be diligent about putting things back where they belong.      

Tents, panniers, cooking gear, extra gear, spare parts and stuff not used often are stored in various containers upstairs over my shop, which has an 8/12 pitch roof.  I built sliding shelves between the trusses and use plastic boxes on the floor.  Fortunately I have enough room to keep my tents loosely fluffed in large boxes.  On the shelves I have boxes holding cooking gear, water filtration, fuel, stoves, storage bags, failed experiments and other hardware.  Sleeping pads and bags are on the other side of the attic lying stacked open on a fixed shelf going through the webbing of the trusses.  Day packs are downstairs along with my hiking rain gear in a re-purposed upper kitchen cabinet hung below my fishing poles, which are mounted horizontally above the door.  Cords and straps are in a box in the same cabinet.  On the floor below the base cabinet I keep tackle boxes and boxes for my assortment of gaiters, shoes and boots, the dirty stinky stuff.  All that is beside the passage door and adjacent to the overhead door.  In the house in the hall closet with the coats are my gloves, scarves and beanie hats.   Smaller items I carry myself while hiking are in a box in my dresser.  

Over the years as I've accumulated more gear I have also been fortunate enough to add more space.  Someone with better organization skills could fit me into probably 1/3rd less space, but more than likely it would return to a reflection of my character in short order.  

My books belong on bookshelves, but they are scattered throughout the house.  This time of year almost every room has a trail guide and the accompanying map is nearby.  For a few months in the non-packing season I'm able to keep the books on the bookshelf and the maps in their boxes, one for each state.

Good luck and enjoy the evolving process of gear storage.
 Post Number: 10
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It used to be spread out everywhere, but this past winter I organized it all.

Items go in bins of various sizes according to use (snacks, dinners, water treatment/bladders/bottles, stoves/pots/pans/accessories, winter layers, camp accessories, "Essential 10", electronics, etc.). The bins go on adjustable metal shelving in the basement. Tents are stored in their sacks along with sleeping pads, and sleeping bags are stored flat on the top shelf. Packs are hung from ceiling hooks. I have a boot dryer, and a shoe rack next to it stores all my footwear. Two small dressers for my everyday hiking clothes.

I learned I couldn't keep anything in my garage, as it would get eaten/sprayed by critters.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a winter bin, a 3-season bin, and two leftover bins for sharing/fill-in. I have a dresser in my closet that is dedicated to hiking clothes so that it doesn't accidentally get used.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a big plastic bin w/all the normal three season stuff I bring with the exception of tent and bag which are all out in the garage.  

I started packing last night for my first trip this weekend and it worked out pretty well except I could not  find my whitebox stove,(new)...oops, left it in the other room...of course then I actually had to pull a different box out to get a larger diameter pot to accommodate the flame pattern of the white box...which of course led to the discovery of the a few items I had not really used in the past few seasons...(hmmm  why not)...and ...Lemmee see, what is in this box???

So after half an hour I had three bins of stuff all over the place including the 12 packs of Tabasco sauce I pilfered from somewhere a few years back.....

I feel a sale coming on...way too many cooksets, stoves, lights etc etc etc....

It worked very well all winter anyway.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 13
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it's important to consider what room is used for storage as well as your storage system. I store everything in cabinets in the laundry room because that room has enough space to serve as a packing room over the course of several days without disrupting the rest of the house. I avoid the garage because it's damp and too far from the kitchen (for food preparation) and clothing. I keep all my in-season clothing in the laundry room, next to the kitchen, so everything is close together.

I have packing lists for each type of trip: backpacking, bike, camping, kayak camping, and car camping. After a trip I return items to their proper bags (e.g., kitchen bag) with a checklist in each bag. I've been working for years to streamline trip preparation. I've never gotten it below three days, but the current system helps a lot. I'm fighting a losing battle against redundant items (tents).

Main point: have a command center where everything is right at hand and you can pack in the storage area.
 Post Number: 14
juliaann Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rawr, rawr, rawr!  Third attempt at posting this, first question is where do you live?  Different climates call for different storage.  Here is texas it is hot and humid.  Outside storage unit I have our camp kitchen, lantern, and miscellaneous items in a plastic storage bin.  Inside I have tents in a bin (we have too many), they delaminate in hot and/or humid climates. (not in the garage, attic or basement)   Sleeping bags are in their cotton bags in a large plastic bin with ventilation holes drilled in.  Self-inflating sleeping pads are open under the bed.  Headlamps are on a clip in the coat closet because we use them on a variety of different activities.
 Post Number: 15
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks to me like bins are the favorite so far, followed by boxes and then tubs.  Folded neatly is clearly ahead of pile it on the floor.
 Post Number: 16
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I built to new closets in our basement with metal racks and bifold doors. I t keeps it all contained so that I can easily find things.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 17
WyattTrash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hard to believe i have more stuff now.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 18
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is disturbing to be that organized.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 19
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Apr. 29 2013, 1:34 pm)
That is disturbing to be that organized.

Lol! I wish I could be.

Thanks for the ideas. I went cheap for now. Hooks to hang packs, bags, etc. strange containers for the other stuff. It's a bajillion ties better than a pile on my garage floor.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 20
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice, Wyatt.

I am working to get there.

Right now I have a wire shelving unit dedicated to gear.  I currently have several plastic bins that look a lot like the bins in this rack.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_3665....etInfo=

I don't have enough for everything, though.  Other items are in milk crate bins.  I also have an Action Packer for most of my car camping gear.  I am currently transitioning between places, but I hope to add a shelving unit to the storage system and put a clothes rod or two between them for packs, sleeping bags, life jackets, and the like.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 21
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 24 2013, 11:07 am)

Thanks.

I have an old DVD tower.  I store folded maps and guidebooks on the shelves in alphabetical order.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
20 replies since Apr. 24 2013, 7:57 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Picture of how you store/ organize your gear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions