2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: pack list for 10 day trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
icewarrior Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 1:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Going to Maine 2nd week of june to hike the 100 mile wilderness trail.  Will be hiking with my friend and sister.  We will be getting a resupply at the halfway point.  Food, tp, and some more fuel for the resupply.  Let me know what ya'll think.  Thanks a bunch!!!!

Icewarriors backpacking list

Big Agnes Mystic SL sleeping bag              2lb  4oz
Big Agnes Q Core SL  sleeping pad        17oz
MSR Hubba 1 person tent   3lb 4oz
Gregory Baltoro 75 Pack   5lb 14oz
REI Duck's Back Rain Cover  for backpack
2 pair smartwool hiking socks
2 pair REI cool max liner socks
1 pair REI moisture wicking underwear
1 REI long sleeve moisture wicking base layer shirt
Mountain Hardwear Sirocco Rain Jacket   11oz
Frogg Toggs driducks  rain pants   6oz
REI Revelcloud hoodie jacket   13.6oz
Sea to summit evac dry sack for sleeping bag and pad 20liter  3oz
Sea to summit evac dry sack for clothes 15liter  2.4oz
Zebralight headlamp H51 3oz
Aquamira Water Treatment Drops  2.4oz
Open Country 2 Quart Pot with Lid  8.2oz for boiling water
MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove  3oz
MSR alcohol fuel canister   8oz  for boiling water only
Sea to summit long ultraweight spoon   0.4oz
Nalgene Wide-Mouth Cantene - 96 fl. oz.     2.25oz
Nalgene Narrow-Mouth Bottle - 32 fl. Oz     5oz
Sea to summit mosquito head net  1.2oz
Sawyer Jungle Juice 100 Insect Repellent - 98 Percent DEET - 2.5 fl. oz.  
Sleeping bag stuff sack to carry food
Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles  1lb 2oz
Toothbrush, toothpaste
Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash Soap   3.3oz
Toilet paper
Bandana
Small single blade knive
Waterproof matches
Small bic lighter
Duct tape wrapped around trekking pole
Outdoor Products All Purpose Tarp  8 by 10  1lb
Receipt for Baxter State Park campground reservation
Spare AA battery for headlamp
Trail Map
Empty large jewel bag for garbage
Package of moleskin and small tube of aquafore
Hand sanitizer
Dehydrated food and misc snacks.  Working on this now.  Planning on 4000 calories a day.  2lbs a day.  

What I’ll be wearing
REI cool max sock liner
Smartwool hiking socks
Vasque Wasatch GTX Hiking Boots   3lbs 6oz
REI Sahara Convertible Pants
Smartwool short sleeve baselayer shirt
REI moisture wicking underwear
REI light outback hat

We will also be getting a resupply after 5 days.  This will have another 8oz fuel canister, and food.  My trail buddy will have the full first aid kit and be carrying another 8oz canister of fuel.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Compass?

Rope to hang food bag?

Camera?

2 lbs food/day is quite a lot. 1.4-1.5 is closer to avg unless thru-hiking.

Seems like you have everything else covered though some of it is relatively heavy.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems reasonable to me. I wouldn't be taking a tarp but that's a personal thing. On a ten day trip, I tend to strip down to the bare basics and shave every ounce I can. Otherwise, your gear list looks reasonable.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will add to the list of ones who think it is a bit heavy.

For 10 days in a New England June, I would take the following:

ULA Circuit  36 oz
Down quilt  17 oz
NeoAir     19 oz
Plastic painter's drop cloth for ground sheet  5 oz
WarBonnet Blackbird hammock  40 oz
OES Tarp   13 oz
1 change of socks  3 oz
1 change of shorts  4 oz
1 extra hiking shirt  4 oz
1 set of lightweight base layer, if it turned cold   10 oz
rain pants  7 oz
lightweight wind breaker  6 oz
1st aid kit  10 oz
kitchen gear (1L tea pot, White Box stove, bic, fuel, long handled spoon)  9 oz + 1 oz of alcohol per day
1 dry bag for down gear and clothes   4 oz
a single edged razor blade for a sharp edge   1 oz
micro lights instead of a flashlight   2 oz
TP bag, includes sanitizer   9 oz
Ursack food storage, keeps critters of all sizes out   8 oz
Nalgene canteen 96 oz size     4 oz
chlorine dioxide tablets  40 tabs   3 oz

218 ounces, or 13 pounds 10 ounces

1.4 pounds of food per day for 5 days, to allow for your resupply, would bring my weight to about 21 pounds total, not including any water.  If you allow for carrying 1L and crossing water at reliable distances, this would add another 2 pounds to the load.  I cut back on the clothes, because you can wear one set and wash the other, hanging on your pack to dry as long as the weather allows.  Deet would add a few more ounces to my load.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having some first aid supplies for yourself doesn't weigh much and is a better bet.  I'd agree 2 lbs seems quite high unless you're doing largely fresh food (which seems a bit countered by your "boiling water" remark...). But for such short intervals it's not going to be a deal breaker is it?

A DEET stick (such as a Cutters one) can be a way to less messily apply repelleant to behind the ears, nose etc.

For bad bug country I've grown fond of lightweight cotton gloves (though I've used my Goretex shells on occassion,. if weather is anticipated I bring rain protection for my hands as, especially with trekking poles, having my hands out there getting cold and wet is very chilling).
 Post Number: 6
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

5 days and 21 pounds all up (not including water) - nice!

Except, where is the fishing gear?
Heathens.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 7
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get rid of the nalgene bottle nad use a gatorade or powerade bottle. Also you don't need to take that whole 3.3 oz bottle of Wilderness wash. I use a very small little bottle that eye drops came in. That size of bottle has lasted me about 2 1/2 yrs of use. As you only use a few drops.
 Post Number: 8
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks pretty good.   My stuff:  tent, bag, pad, pack combo is lighter (138 oz).  I figure 1.2 lbs food/snacks per day.  A 8oz fuel canister lasts me about 9 days.  I'd bag the soap and sanitizer.  Also use platy 1 liter drinking bags @ 1.8oz each.  I don't worry about clothes in a sac, I stuff them in to fill areas.  Tarp....No, you have a tent and raingear.  Only 1 extra change of socks, etc.  I don't use trek poles.

My total for a 13 day Wind River trip, including fishing/camera gear, less water was 42 lbs at the start.  Carried the entire food.
 Post Number: 9
DaveG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done the 100 Mile Wilderness. (I'm assuming you are hiking the AT.) It's rugged but beautiful. In June, it will probably be buggy and can be wet. And once things get wet, they tend not to dry out. Think rocks, roots, and mud for the trail. The roots and rocks are very slick when wet, so watch your footing. And if your timetable permits it, be sure to do the Gulf Hagas loop.

I agree with the others that you probably won't need two pounds of food per person per day.

Also, the tarp is probably unnecessary. There are lean-tos along the trail where, if it's raining, you will be able to find shelter (most of the time) to cook and relax. But you may want to sleep in your tent, especially if the bugs are bad.

Consider taking separate footwear for fording streams. There are quite a few fords (can't remember the exact number). Crossing them barefoot or in your Vasques is probably not a good idea. You may want a pack towel or bandana to dry your feet off afterwards. If the water is high, you may have to detour quite a few miles to find a crossing. And if a crossing looks iffy, you may want to unfasten your hipbelt and sternum strap so if you fall, you can get out of your pack easily.

Because it can be very wet, a dry bag for your clothes is probably a good idea. Keep a change of dry clothing and socks for camp. If it's raining, wear your trail clothes for hiking (even if they are damp).

And if you haven't already done so, check out whiteblaze.net. There are a lot of people there who know a lot more about the 100 Mile Wilderness than I do and can give you great advice.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks everyone for the replies! I do have sandals.  forgot.that on the list.  bringin the tarp cause the outfitter recommended it.  he said well thank him after the trip.were going during the rainy season.. I just estimated the food.  not sure what the weight will be.  I have meals from mountain house, mayjanes outpost, homeade oatmeal meals, gorp, bars and snacks.  I will portion out for 4000 calories a day.  sure it will be less than 2lbs.  thanks all for the feedback!  the problem with the gatorade bottle is it doesnt fit in my packs water bottle area.  I like that I can reach the water bottle holder on my gregory. where do u all keep your water bottle if u cant reach it? do u take the pack off when you need water?  thanks again!
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(icewarrior @ Apr. 25 2013, 6:10 pm)
the problem with the gatorade bottle is it doesnt fit in my packs water bottle area.  I like that I can reach the water bottle holder on my gregory. where do u all keep your water bottle if u cant reach it? do u take the pack off when you need water?  thanks again!

I use a camelbak bladder.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 12
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a sip tube, platy is in the top of my pack.  I'll conceded the tarp......sounds like area is wet, could be handy.   :)
 Post Number: 13
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(icewarrior @ Apr. 25 2013, 9:10 pm)
I like that I can reach the water bottle holder on my gregory. where do u all keep your water bottle if u cant reach it? do u take the pack off when you need water?  thanks again!

Lots of people use hydration bladders.  I prefer bottles and, frankly, if I can't reach to get and put back a water bottle in the side pockets, I don't buy the pack.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 2:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do have a platy 100oz bladder that goes in the pack but wasnt plannin on bringing it.  I also like having the water bottles.  I got the nalgene canteen just for fillin at the last water stop for my end of day and morning activities.I will look for a smaller container for the soap.  Wasnt sure if id need all that or not.  Going to use some tomorrow to try it out.  It will be used for cleaning up myself and clothes.  Only boiling water so dont need to worry about cleaning cookware.
 Post Number: 15
DaveG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also prefer a bottle for drinking while walking. With my newest pack, I can reach my bottle without taking off my pack.

But I still have and use an older pack where I can't reach the bottle without taking off the pack. Two solutions:

When hiking with a partner, stop and ask your partner to remove and replace your bottle. Not particularly convenient and since so much of my hiking is solo, not very practical either.

So what I did was to make a water bottle holder that I could attach to either my hipbelt or between my hipbelt and sternum strap.

Kind of like this: bottle pocket (Click on the video to see how it attaches.)

Or this: wet rib

I didn't find either to be as comfortable as carrying my bottle in a side pocket on my pack, but it was tolerable and did work.
 Post Number: 16
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(icewarrior @ Apr. 25 2013, 9:10 pm)
the problem with the gatorade bottle is it doesnt fit in my packs water bottle area.

1 L soda (even Club Soda) bottle is skinnier and a fraction lighter as I recall, but not as wide a mouth though I've seen versions of Mountain Dew with wider mouths. Water bottle could work, too, but they are less robust (though lighter still).

I'll never carry a hydration bladder.
15 replies since Apr. 25 2013, 1:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply pack list for 10 day trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions