2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: iArrow for android?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tonykurtz Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 10:26 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, i try to find the android analogue of this app: https://itunes.apple.com/us....=1&mt=8 This app shows the nearest inhabited places w/o internet connection. Does anyone know similar applications for android? Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much all GPS apps you can put in your own waypoints and navigate to them. Plugging in "Inhabited places" seems like just laziness in my opinion. Just plug in where you want to go ahead of time and go there.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger, you are right, but i often don't know where i want to go :]
 Post Number: 4
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tonykurtz @ Apr. 27 2013, 7:26 am)
This app shows the nearest inhabited places w/o internet connection.

I'm confused! I think you might have wanted a comma in that sentence as I now see you wanting to find the nearest inhabited place without Internet! I think you want to find the place but without needing Internet access to do it, yes?

In any event, I also wonder what trouble you might have finding the nearest inhabited place! What, are you wandering out of the desert or jungle with no idea where you are, and wanting an inhabited place nearby?

Since I'm guessing you want to travel on a whim, certainly you must have a chance to stop somewhere that offers wifi (MacDonalds, Starbucks, etc), and with an app called WiFiFinder you could browse for a destination. Then with a FREE app called Waze (just that, Waze!), you locate your start location and set a destination, Waze calculates a route. So far, so what? The cool part is that Waze can continue to guide you but without a cell signal. As long as your phone has GPS capability, Waze knows where you are and shows you your map, even still offering voice turn-by-turn (in my experiences) as long as you stick to your set route.

Need to change plans? Stop at another hotspot, re-set your trip, and head out.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bp2go, sorry for my english! Yes, i need a navigation tool, which works without internet connection. In some places there is no internet and even no GSM!

>In any event, I also wonder what trouble you might have finding the nearest inhabited place! What, are you wandering out of the desert or jungle with no idea where you are, and wanting an inhabited place nearby?

Yes, for example, take a look at this location: https://maps.google.com/?ll=63.....=m&z=10 - there is no GSM (GSM available only close to villages). So, paper map and compas your best friends here.
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are GPS apps that support storage of map data for use without connection.  I haven't looked into any that store other types of location-specific information.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Were some one truly in need of the nearest habitation coming out of desolation the very last item I'd consider relying on would be my iPhone with it's finite battery.

Plan B? Any if the dozens of GPS apps that store maps for offline access. Can't read a map? Then you're going to die before you get out of that wilderness anyway so no worries.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe it will seem strange to you, but i found map based navigators are very inconvenient for travel in sparsely populated regions. Because often i see only white space on the screen and i have to keep checking my direction with the compass. Though, only that i need is correct direction and distance to the next point.
 Post Number: 9
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tonykurtz @ Apr. 27 2013, 1:23 pm)
Though, only that i need is correct direction and distance to the next point.

Sorry for my odd understanding; youe English is fine.

Now that I see more of what you want, I actually found what sounds like a solution:

It's an Android app, it's FREE and offers a WORLD MAP with no cell connection required. Check it out: http://preview.tinyurl.com/d5xbd4y

--------------
8 replies since Apr. 27 2013, 10:26 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply iArrow for android?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions