2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: pack ideas for daughter?, Daddy daughter vacation< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
booyah Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 10:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So my oldest (8) wants to go backpacking for our yearly daddy/daughter vacation.  Thinking about bringing her to North Manitou Island in Lake Michigan for a three day weekend.

Problem is, I need a pack for her.  Basically I was thinking carrying a change of clothes, book, emergency stuff, and maybe a hydration sleeve.

Saw a pack at light little kids day pack at Meijer that looked reasonable but figured I would ask opinions here.  It was a small pink and grey kids backpack by lake and trail (Meijer brand) that actually looks like a real day pack, just scaled down.  Not like a school backpack.

Is that just not enough?  She wont be carrying much of anything, just enough to make it cool while dad does sherpa duty.

I also thought this would be a good pack for trips to the zoo, as well as if she wants to go hunting with me this fall.

Thoughts?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tough one.

I bought my 8 yr old a cool looking outdoorsey small pack for her to haul stuff.....she will only use her pink one...matches her outfits.

She does carry basically just what you mentioned for about 30 minutes before a rest er...a chat break...is necessary, (she is NOT taking a break, just wants to chat..).

If it ain't too much trouble, buy it, show it to her, (she'll let you know very quickly), if she hates it bring it back and let her choose one....

or better yet, take her with you....or go online to STP, (I do it w.my girl to see if she likes something)...

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my kids in the past, I've always purchased a Kelty that has an actual waist belt. Even light, shoulder straps can get uncomfortable.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI Tarn 18 would be a decent option. I agree on the hipbelt, too.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Apr. 29 2013, 11:57 am)
REI Tarn 18 would be a decent option. I agree on the hipbelt, too.

Ok topshot, that looks awsome.  I think I'm calling over to our nearest REI to see if they have them in.

wcolucci
I hear ya.  my daughter does 5ks with us, and shes the only person who I know who can talk non stop while jogging up hill.  Kid must be in great shape to go that long  :-D

Tigger,
Good point, my big concern is finding something that will fit her reasonably with how small she is...  I checked out the kids kelty packs (Lord knows I love my kelty pack) and the stuff that seamed more reasoanble is sized for teens, not kids.  The kids stuff, looks just like school backpacks, and not really appropriate for this.

Anybody else got any others?
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A little hard to say without knowing big (height/weight) she is.

If she's skinny like my kid, the limiting factor will probably be the hipbelt length.  My son was too skinny for most kids' "real" backpacks even if the torso length fit.  His first packpack was a Deuter Fox30, which is a pretty popular first pack.  He was 9 when he got it, probably about 70-75lb and 4-4.5 feet tall.  It's a nice adjustable pack and he was able to use it until he was 12 when he grew out of the volume more than size.  The hipbelt was too long at first and we had to add some padding to it.

ETA:  Also, look in the 'Backpacking with Kids' forum.  There are quite a few threads there about kids' packs and gear.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
Random Walker Search for posts by this member.
Born under a wandering star

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That REI Tarn looks like a good one... there are many others (Osprey, Camelback, Deuter, etc.) Showing backpacks to kids for their first hike is always the most fun, well depending on the parents (the stories I could tell :-]) I generally let them try on any and all backpacks in the store they wish to, with a mirror and 4 or 5 pounds (8 year olds+/-) inside. Narrowing it down along the way, keeping in mind the direction the parents want to go while at the same time allowing the kid total independence. More often than not 8 year old girls know exactly what they do not want... of course then I upsell the kid with an adventure medical 0.5 first aid kit and I just seem to be commenting, must be the third cups coffee....

--------------
"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
learning or any other serious thing"
                                                           -Aldo Leopold-
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

boo, you know the answer to this.

Take her and her gear to the store!

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If she is a similar size of many 8 year olds, it is going to be hard finding a pack with a hip belt that fits. Most of the "kids" packs don't really fit until they are a little older.  If you are just wanting a pack for clothes and water then pretty much anything will work as long as it is sized correctly.  I think in the end you'll need to go to a gear store and have her try them on.
 Post Number: 10
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Tarn looks pretty good for the price. The Fox 30 is great because of the adjustable torso. She could use that for a long time. I think it's a bit heavy for its size though. I wish they made a kids ACT Lite 30.
If she just wants a pack to carry some water, a book and a wind breaker, many lighter options will work. My son loves his mini mule. And it comes in pink if she is into that.
 Post Number: 11
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If she's only carrying jacket, water, etc and not her sleeping bag, I'd go with the Tarn 18.  If she's your oldest, she'll be able to hand it down.  FWIW, my son didn't move into a full on backpack (Deuter Fox 30) until he was 10, mostly because he was so small and I wouldn't let him carry much anyway.  He used a Camelbak Scout with no hipbelt (and was happy to have the hipbelt when he got the Deuter).  I'll keep him in the Deuter until he outgrows it (although as TigerFan said volume becomes an issue later on, and we are pushing that limit).

I like the Tarn and wished it had been available when he was in that age range.  I think it would fit your needs very well.  When she's ready for a backpacking pack, look at both the Deuter Fox and REI's Comet, which you can still find on the outlet site last time I checked.  The hipbelt runs a little smaller than other packs, IIRC, and it comparable to the Deuter in that respect.

Have fun :)  We have yet to make the trek to Manitou!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just wanted to follow up on this

Got the REI TARN 18 for her in teal, and a sprig 12 in pink for the 4 year old.

With the REI sale i paid just over $50 for the two of them at the Ann Arbor REI Saturday.

I will probably post a follow up on the trip after monday, we're heading out to North Manitou island in Lake Michigan for the holiday, so wish me luck!  :)

Thanks to everyone for their input
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Booyah,

I ended up grabbing a Tarn 18 for my 8 yr old daughter and it just came in.

What was your impression of it?

I was a bit disappointed w/the book bag top...I guess I did not look it over well on line

The belt and sternum strap, (with integrated whistle), were cool but I can't see anything bigger than a half litre plastic water bottle fitting into the sides.

Now granted, we are not doing Makalu but my wife has an old Lowe Alpine bag that my daughter swiped from her as "her" pack.....We'll see what happens when I get it home but I'm not thrilled.

EDIT:  Oops, just noticed one of the hydration bladder hooks is broken.....well, see if she likes it then I'll return for a new one...If not, back it goes

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ May 28 2013, 11:40 am)
Hey Booyah,

I ended up grabbing a Tarn 18 for my 8 yr old daughter and it just came in.

What was your impression of it?

I was a bit disappointed w/the book bag top...I guess I did not look it over well on line

The belt and sternum strap, (with integrated whistle), were cool but I can't see anything bigger than a half litre plastic water bottle fitting into the sides.

Now granted, we are not doing Makalu but my wife has an old Lowe Alpine bag that my daughter swiped from her as "her" pack.....We'll see what happens when I get it home but I'm not thrilled.

EDIT:  Oops, just noticed one of the hydration bladder hooks is broken.....well, see if she likes it then I'll return for a new one...If not, back it goes

Overall I've been pretty impressed.  I understand what you mean about the zippers across the top, but they are some pretty rugged feeling zippers.

Our experiences were like this
Snack pockets in the waist band hold two granola bars and two fruit rollups without problems, which was perfect for my daughters uses.

Waist band seemed to work well as it fit her, the pack doesnt have a rigid frame, so its not really transferring much weight, but in our case she only had about 6-7lbs in it.

Overall she loves the pack, and is completely geeked that she has it, got to use it, and will continue to use it.

The load she carried was
Her book (yes she brought Hatchet)
change of underwear and socks for each day
shorts
t shirt
winter hat (cold nights)
sweat shirt
rain shell
flashlight
compass
more snacks
.5l water bottle
sleeping pad (attached to the outside I will write more on this later)
stuffed animal
TP
fishing gear
and I'm sure I am forgetting something...

Basically she carried all her stuff, except for main food, and sleeping bag.  I carried all shared gear food, majority of the water, and her sleeping bag

Overall as a pack to carry these things, shes LOVING it, it doesn't slow her down at all, and the only thing is she wants a hydration system now, but it only holds a 50oz and I dont care for the camelback ones.

i agree the side pockets are tight, we used them to carry her fishing pole which is a 5 piece take down 4'6" rod, (then used the compression strap to retain it near the top) and to carry a .5l camelback water bottle
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, that reads horribly...   I wrote that returning to it three times, before lunch, after lunch, after a meeting...

That's my excuse for the horrible structure of the post.  I will leave it so we can all ridicule my English  :D
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you kidding?  my posts ramble on incessantly.

But thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I'm probably overthinking it...especially on the lid thing.

I'll bring it home and see what she thinks.  It  took a small Desani type bottle just fine...that was my other big gripe.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some pictures below

The way we attached her sleeping pad was I ran shock cord (1/4" i think) through four of the 6 attachment points on the outside, and used that to secure hte pad.  Worked great.  Still gave access to everything inside, it did make it a little harder to get into the front net pocket, but it worked as well as I could have hoped.

Below are some pics.  She carried it through the entire 8.5 mile loop we hiked on sunday with most of her stuff in it.

Upon arrival

Setting the pace (with her friend behind her)

checking out an old radiator at the old truck dump up by stormer camp

And one by a trail marker just cause shes cute
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice.

I see your daughter uses the same brand trekking pole as my daughters......

Funny, I got it home last night, she was running around w/some paper and a scissors in her hand and I was like  "hi Honey look at this"...zoom...right by me...she was in the middle of a big project...never looked at it all night, but she did not object to the color.

--------------
17 replies since Apr. 29 2013, 10:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply pack ideas for daughter?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions